Fixed star alignments (March 25, 2007)

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2007
      As of noon CDT.

      Asterisks indicate new alignments (that didn't exist a
      week ago today, with a 1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      Tso Kang (Epsilon-1 Arae)

      Korban (Zeta Arae)

      Water-Lily Nebula (IRAS 16594-4656 Arae)

      Exclamation Mark Nebula (NGC 6309 Ophiuchi)

      Maasym (Lambda Herculis)

      *Spindle Nebula (IRAS 17106-3046 Scorpii)

      Saturn

      *NGC 2775 (Cancri; galaxy)

      Outcast Star (SDSS J0907450+0245097 Hydrae)

      *Alterf (Lambda Leonis)

      NGC 2903 (Leonis; a barred spiral galaxy)

      RR Pictoris (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      Naos (Zeta Puppis)

      CP Puppis (cataclysmic variable)

      Merak (Beta Ursae Majoris)

      Tania Borealis (Lambda Ursae Majoris)

      Uranus

      Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)

      The Horseshoe (Harrington STAR 28 Cygni, a little
      asterism near 63 Cygni north of Deneb)

      Achernar (Alpha Eridani)

      RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)

      Homan (Zeta Pegasi)

      Jih (Kappa Pegasi)

      Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)

      Neptune

      LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

      *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

      Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      S Doradus (in Nubecula Major aka the Large Magellanic
      Cloud; one of the intrinsically brightest stars known)

      Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; an old name for Grus
      the Crane was Phoenicopterus)

      *TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      Pluto

      Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

      AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)

      Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

      Barnard's Star (Munich 15040 Ophiuchi)

      Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii; a variable star
      which is believed to be a red giant in the process of
      turning into a white dwarf)

      Basanismus (G Scorpii)

      Acumen (M-7 Scorpii, Ptolemy's Cluster)

      Ceres

      *Difda (Beta Ceti)

      *Vernalis (Omega Piscium)

      Pallas

      *Network Nebula (NGC 6992 Cygni)

      Juno

      Arcturus (Alpha Bootis)

      *Varthorz Prior (Upsilon Carinae; part of the obsolete
      constellation Robur Carolinum, Charles' Oak)

      EX Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)

      Spica (Alpha Virginis)

      Vesta

      Rastaban (Beta Draconis)

      Lucida Normae (Gamma Normae, the brightest star in
      Norma the Rule)

      Ant Nebula (Menzel 3 Normae; also known as the
      Chamber of Horrors)

      RCW 103 (Normae; a supernova remnant with a neutron
      star/X-ray source in it)

      *Water Fountain Nebula (IRAS 16342-3814 Scorpii)

      Betria (Beta Trianguli Australe)

      Chiron

      Albulaan Borealis (Mu Aquarii)

      Dorsum (Theta Capricorni)

      *CH Cygni

      Veil Nebula (NGC 6960 Cygni)

      Cygnus X-1 (famous black hole)

      Deneb Dulfim (Epsilon Delphini)

      North Node

      Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)

      *The Horseshoe (Harrington STAR 28 Cygni, a little
      asterism near 63 Cygni north of Deneb)

      Achernar (Alpha Eridani)

      RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)

      Homan (Zeta Pegasi)

      Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)

      South Node

      Ghost of Jupiter Nebula (NGC 3242 Hydrae)

      Copeland's Septet (Hickson 57 Leonis, a group of seven
      galaxies discovered by 19th-century British astronomer
      Ralph Copeland)

      Mizar (Zeta Ursae Majoris)

      Alcor (80 Ursae Majoris)

      Never miss an email again!
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2007

        > As of noon CDT.
        >

        > Asterisks indicate new alignments
        >

        > Jupiter
        >

        > Tso Kang (Epsilon-1 Arae)
        >
        > Korban (Zeta Arae)

        refers to Alberto Gonzales? Or Robert Mugabe? Both? (expected to quit
        for the good of their country)

        > Water-Lily Nebula (IRAS 16594-4656 Arae)
        >
        > Exclamation Mark Nebula (NGC 6309 Ophiuchi)

        Also known as the Box Nebula; just west of Nu Serpentis near the
        border with Serpens Cauda (in the Serpent-Holder's left leg?)

        > Maasym (Lambda Herculis)
        >
        > *Spindle Nebula (IRAS 17106-3046 Scorpii)
        >

        > Saturn
        >

        > *NGC 2775 (Cancri; galaxy)

        off beyond the Crab's southern legs and just north of the border with
        Hydra (the Sea-Monster's head)

        > Outcast Star (SDSS J0907450+0245097 Hydrae)
        >
        > *Alterf (Lambda Leonis)

        "the glance" (of the lion), although it's located in the mouth

        (attracting the attention of somebody or something dangerous, like
        maybe Iran?)

        > NGC 2903 (Leonis; a barred spiral galaxy)

        south of Alterf (below the Lion's chin?)

        > RR Pictoris (cataclysmic variable aka nova)
        >
        > Naos (Zeta Puppis)
        >
        > CP Puppis (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Merak (Beta Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > Tania Borealis (Lambda Ursae Majoris)
        >

        > Uranus
        >

        > Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)
        >
        > The Horseshoe (Harrington STAR 28 Cygni, a little
        > asterism near 63 Cygni north of Deneb)
        >
        > Achernar (Alpha Eridani)
        >
        > RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Homan (Zeta Pegasi)
        >
        > Jih (Kappa Pegasi)
        >
        > Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

        "It is said to cause overcoming by evil that is turned into success,
        and danger from beasts." (Robson)

        Nancy Pelosi (and others) talking to "the enemy" (Syria)(LOL)?

        > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
        >
        > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
        >
        > S Doradus (in Nubecula Major aka the Large Magellanic
        > Cloud; one of the intrinsically brightest stars known)
        >
        > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; an old name for Grus
        > the Crane was Phoenicopterus)
        >
        > *TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

        to tie (down) something or somebody?

        > Pluto
        >

        > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
        >
        > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Barnard's Star (Munich 15040 Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii; a variable star
        > which is believed to be a red giant in the process of
        > turning into a white dwarf)
        >
        > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
        >
        > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii, Ptolemy's Cluster)
        >

        > Ceres
        >

        > *Difda (Beta Ceti)

        "It is said to cause self-destruction by brute force, sickness,
        disgrace, misfortune and compulsory change." (Robson)

        > *Vernalis (Omega Piscium)

        takes its name from the Latin word for "spring"; the past few days
        haven't been very spring-like in a lot of places, though

        > Pallas
        >

        > *Network Nebula (NGC 6992 Cygni)

        news having to do with networks or the Internet (Thailand shutting off
        YouTube?)

        > Juno
        >

        > Arcturus (Alpha Bootis)
        >
        > *Varthorz Prior (Upsilon Carinae; part of the obsolete
        > constellation Robur Carolinum, Charles' Oak)

        "forward (on the Ship Argo) at the waterline" is the literal meaning
        of the name (a shot across the bow, an attempt to torpedo something?)

        > EX Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Spica (Alpha Virginis)
        >

        > Vesta
        >

        > Rastaban (Beta Draconis)
        >
        > Lucida Normae (Gamma Normae, the brightest star in
        > Norma the Rule)

        trying to straighten something out

        > Ant Nebula (Menzel 3 Normae; also known as the
        > Chamber of Horrors)

        busy ants, worker bees

        > RCW 103 (Normae; a supernova remnant with a neutron
        > star/X-ray source in it)
        >
        > *Water Fountain Nebula (IRAS 16342-3814 Scorpii)

        a place for the public to slake its thirst (human trafficking in the news)

        > Betria (Beta Trianguli Australe)
        >

        > Chiron
        >

        > Albulaan Borealis (Mu Aquarii)
        >
        > Dorsum (Theta Capricorni)
        >
        > *CH Cygni
        >
        > Veil Nebula (NGC 6960 Cygni)
        >
        > Cygnus X-1 (famous black hole)
        >
        > Deneb Dulfim (Epsilon Delphini)
        >

        > North Node
        >

        > Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)
        >
        > *The Horseshoe (Harrington STAR 28 Cygni, a little
        > asterism near 63 Cygni north of Deneb)
        >
        > Achernar (Alpha Eridani)
        >
        > RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Homan (Zeta Pegasi)
        >
        > Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)
        >

        > South Node
        >

        > Ghost of Jupiter Nebula (NGC 3242 Hydrae)
        >
        > Copeland's Septet (Hickson 57 Leonis, a group of seven
        > galaxies discovered by 19th-century British astronomer
        > Ralph Copeland)
        >
        > Mizar (Zeta Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > Alcor (80 Ursae Majoris)

        More later, maybe.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 15, 2007

          > Water-Lily Nebula (IRAS 16594-4656 Arae)

          Just east of Iota Arae in the flames of the Altar (?)

          > *Spindle Nebula (IRAS 17106-3046 Scorpii)

          About halfway between M-6 (the Butterfly Nebula) and D Ophiuchi (aka
          45 Ophiuchi), near the Ophiuchus border, just above the Scorpion's
          stinger.

          > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

          South of Gamma Cygni in the Swan's body.

          > S Doradus (in Nubecula Major aka the Large Magellanic
          > Cloud; one of the intrinsically brightest stars known)

          Just underneath Dorado the Mahimahi's head.

          > *TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

          Near 30 Vulpeculae in the Fox's tail.

          > *Network Nebula (NGC 6992 Cygni)

          South of Epsilon Cygni in the Swan's right wing.

          > EX Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)

          This is about a third of the way from Psi Hydrae to Beta Hydrae and
          just north of the Centaurus border, in the Sea-Monster's tail.

          > RCW 103 (Normae; a supernova remnant with a neutron
          > star/X-ray source in it)

          West of Gamma Normae near the border with Ara; you might be able to
          put this in the carpenter's square part of Norma, which represents a
          level and square (carpenter's tools).

          http://www.coldwater.k12.mi.us/lms/planetarium/myth/Nor-myth.gif

          (I'm uploading this file to the Photos section along with some others
          showing Ara and Dorado.)

          > *Water Fountain Nebula (IRAS 16342-3814 Scorpii)

          Just west of Mu Scorpii (in one of the Scorpion's left legs).