Bees and wasps

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
      Bees and wasps

      Just did a quick check of my files - the only "sting" areas I
      found were (besides Praesepe, 6-10 Leo), were

      10 - 13 Leo (extension of Praesepe)
      28Vir - 0 Libra
      0 - 3 Sag
      24-26 Sag (area of Scorpion's sting)
      7 - 11 Pisces

      And I dug this up from my "Obsolete Constellations" file:

      MUSCA, THE FLY (formerly APIS, THE BEE)

      This figure just south of Crux was originally called Apis, the Bee by the Dutch navigators Keyser and de Houtman at the end of the sixteenth century; Riccioli catalogued it as Apis seu Musca, and in 1679 Halley called it Musca Apis; in 1752 Lacaille called it Mouche Australe ou Indienne, the Southern or Indian Fly, and it gradually emerged as Musca Australis, the Southern Fly; (approx 1st half of tropical Scorpio)

      There was once a Musca Borealis above the head of Aries the Ram:
      Musca Borealis The Northern Fly, was near Triangulum and just above Aries; this figure first appeared on a globe by Plancius in 1613 -- he called it Apes, the Bee. In 1624 Bartsch changed it to Vespa, the Wasp; bugged by all this, in 1687 Hevelius put it in his atlas as Musca, the Fly. (And a patriotic Frenchman named Pardies tried, in 1674, to use the same stars for "Lilium", a fleur-de-lis). It is no longer used, but if you are itching to swat the critter, you will find it at what are now 33, 35, 39 & 41 Arietis, i.e. about 16-18 tTaurus. When Musca Borealis was eliminated from the list of "official" constellations, the "Australis" was no longer needed; now it is simply called Musca.

      Approx span of Musca in tropical degrees (1980) based on IAU boundaries: 4.15 Scorpio-5.65 Sag; span of major stars: 10.7 Scorpio-2.4 Sag.

      In the far east the fly is a symbol of the immaterial, or the restlessly wandering soul; in Christian art it was a symbol of sin and disease. The biblical devil Beelzebub (Hebrew Ba'al zebhubh, Lord of the Flies) who is often pictured as a fly and survives in folk beliefs and magic spells, is a perversion of an ancient Canaanite deity Baalzebul, and is the agent and power of destruction and putrefaction. There has always been a widespread belief (somewhat affirmed by scientific research demonstrating that insects carry disease) that demons of illness threaten people in the form of flies. In the mythology of Persia, Ahriman, the principle of opposition & rebellion, enters into the material world as a fly.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
        <fixed.stars@...> wrote:

        > Just did a quick check of my files - the only "sting" areas I
        > found were (besides Praesepe, 6-10 Leo), were
        >
        > 10 - 13 Leo (extension of Praesepe)
        > 28Vir - 0 Libra
        > 0 - 3 Sag
        > 24-26 Sag (area of Scorpion's sting)
        > 7 - 11 Pisces

        I have the Sun at 0 Libra and Chiron at 11 Pisces, but, as I believe I
        said, I've never had a problem with bee and wasp stings. Ant bites, yes.

        > And I dug this up from my "Obsolete Constellations" file:
        >
        > MUSCA, THE FLY (formerly APIS, THE BEE)
        >
        > This figure just south of Crux was originally called Apis, the Bee
        by the
        > Dutch navigators Keyser and de Houtman at the end of the sixteenth
        century;
        > Riccioli catalogued it as Apis seu Musca, and in 1679 Halley called
        it Musca
        > Apis; in 1752 Lacaille called it Mouche Australe ou Indienne, the
        Southern
        > or Indian Fly, and it gradually emerged as Musca Australis, the Southern
        > Fly; (approx 1st half of tropical Scorpio)
        >
        > There was once a Musca Borealis above the head of Aries the Ram:
        > Musca Borealis The Northern Fly, was near Triangulum and just above
        Aries;
        > this figure first appeared on a globe by Plancius in 1613 -- he
        called it
        > Apes, the Bee. In 1624 Bartsch changed it to Vespa, the Wasp; bugged
        by all
        > this, in 1687 Hevelius put it in his atlas as Musca, the Fly. (And a
        > patriotic Frenchman named Pardies tried, in 1674, to use the same
        stars for
        > "Lilium", a fleur-de-lis). It is no longer used, but if you are
        itching to
        > swat the critter, you will find it at what are now 33, 35, 39 & 41
        Arietis,
        > i.e. about 16-18 tTaurus.

        30 Arietis is fairly close to this quartet, though. I've been using 35
        to represent Lilium and 39 to represent Musca Borealis. I think 41
        Arietis has the proper name Bharani.

        Mark A. Holmes
      • Morgana
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
          Hi Diana,
          I see now, the Praesepe area has my Transpluto, opposing Venus but the
          Sting area is 10-13 Leo, too wide. How wonderful it is that we have
          your knowledge to help us figure all this out.
          28*52 Virgo is my daughter's moon and she had such a bad reaction to a
          spider bite that it almost turned into flesh eating disease.
          Fortunately I got her to the doctor in time. Her sun at 0*25
          Sagittarius would be in the sting area too. I suppose even her Mars at
          12*35 Scorpio figures in there. Holy, she really has to watch out for
          these stings and bites I see. Whew! Especially right now I'll bet with
          Pluto squaring, and she has recurring bites on her lately, that we can't
          figure out, unless spiders have nested in her room somewhere. It is a
          new apt building too.

          Morgana