Re: Fixed star alignments (January 28, 2007)

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2007

      > As of noon CST.
      >

      > Asterisks indicate new alignments
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > *RR Chamaeleontis (cataclysmic variable)

      around the Chameleon's tail(?)

      railroaded into something (through public opinion), trying to align
      oneself with the current of popular opinion

      > *Great Attractor (Abell 3627 Normae)

      dragged into something where you're aware of something bigger than you

      > *Water Fountain Nebula (IRAS 16342-3814 Scorpii)

      public water supply, public resources; a loose woman (public drinking
      fountain)

      > Saturn
      >

      > MM Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Frosty Leo Nebula (IRAS 09371+1202 Leonis)
      >
      > Owl Nebula (M97 Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > *Pherkad (Gamma Ursae Minoris)

      Arabic = calf

      > *Pherkad Minor (11 Ursae Minoris)

      Arabic/Latin = little calf

      > Uranus
      >

      > Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni, an
      > asterism said to resemble an emu--a large bird related
      > to the ostrich--with a red neck)
      >
      > HR Delphini
      >
      > *IL Vulpeculae

      having to do with Illinois (Barack Obama?)

      > QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Mu Arae
      >
      > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)
      >
      > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
      >
      > AH Mensae

      near the base of the Table Mountain

      > RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variables)
      >
      > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
      >
      > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
      >
      > *Acumen (M-7 Scorpii, Ptolemy's Cluster)

      From the brady.fst file in SolarFire 5:

      "This is the same issue of attack as contained in Aculeus but being
      the more shadowy twin, the outcomes could be more difficult to handle."

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Hydria (Eta Aquilae)

      This should be Aquarii

      > *Ekchusis (Lambda Aquilae)

      Again, this should be Aquarii

      > *Nova Cygni 1992 (V1974 Cygni; cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Magic Carpet Nebula (NGC 7027 Cygni)

      swept away to something

      > *Scovil's Object (Q1991/107 Cygni)

      to overturn

      > *WX Hydri
      >
      > *VY Sculptoris (cataclysmic variables)

      campaigns going easy

      > Pallas
      >

      > *Markarian 409 (Aquarii; a dwarf galaxy)
      >
      > (I have "destructive" for this one)
      >
      > *Albali (Epsilon Aquilae)

      Epsilon Aquarii, that is

      Albali: Arabic = the swallower

      > *Foxhead Cluster (NGC 6819 Cygni)

      a fox grabbing its prey? a captured fox? a rabid fox?

      > *Globus (Epsilon Microscopii; I think this would be
      > the lucida, or brightest star, of the obsolete
      > constellation Globus Aerostaticus the Hot-Air Balloon)

      lots of hot air

      > *47 Tucanae (NGC 104 Tucanae, a globular cluster that
      > was mistakenly given a Flamsteed number)

      on the branch the Toucan is sitting on

      > Juno
      >

      > *Ma Wei (Delta Centauri)

      Chinese = the horse's tail (brushing away flies, or something)

      > *Maenalus (Tau Virginis; marking the obsolete
      > constellation Mons Maenalus [Mount Maenalus, a
      > mountain on whose summit Bootes the Herdsman is
      > standing])

      having ascended or ascending with difficulty

      > Vesta
      >

      > *Ke Kwan (Kappa Centauri)

      Chinese = the cavalry officer

      > *Arrakis (Mu Draconis)

      Arabic = the dancer

      > *Marsik (Kappa Herculis)

      Arabic = the elbow (elbowed aside)

      > *Zubenalhakrabi (Gamma Librae)

      Arabic = the scorpion's claw(?)

      > *Ke Kouan Lupi (Beta Lupi)

      Chinese = the cavalry officer

      > *Bin Ridwan's Star (SN 1006 Lupi, a 1006 supernova in
      > Lupus described by Egyptian astronomer Ali bin Ridwan)

      near the Wolf's forepaws (?)

      > *Etched Hourglass Nebula (MyCn 18 Muscae)

      out of time

      > Chiron
      >

      > *Markarian 409 (Aquarii; a dwarf galaxy)
      >
      > Tso Ke (Rho Aquilae)

      Chinese = the left flag

      > Chi Cygni

      self-damage

      > Struve 2398 (Draconis; nearby star)

      near the base of the Dragon's head (grasp the nettle, rabbit punches)

      > Epsilon Indi (nearby star, somewhat Sun-like, an early
      > object of interest in the search for extraterrestrial
      > life)

      having to do with non-hostile indigenous people (an increase in the
      Iraqi refugee quota to the US?)

      > WZ Sagittae (cataclysmic variable)

      "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"

      > Lucida Tucanae (Alpha Tucanae)

      having to do with domestic spying

      > North Node
      >

      > Honda's Star (V1500 Cygni, a bright nova occurring in
      > Cygnus in 1975 first detected by Japanese astronomer
      > Minoru Honda)
      >
      > (I have "in outer space" for this one)
      >
      > Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)
      >
      > Homan (Zeta Pegasi)
      >

      > South Node
      >

      > Asterion (Beta Canum Venaticorum)
      >
      > La Superba (Y Canum Venaticorum)
      >
      > Copeland's Septet (Hickson 57 Leonis, a group of seven
      > galaxies discovered in 1874 by British astronomer
      > Ralph Copeland. NGC 3753 is the brightest member; the
      > others are NGC 3745, NGC 3746, NGC 3748, NGC 3750, NGC
      > 3751, and NGC 3754.
      >
      > http://www.astronomy-mall.com/Adventures.In.Deep.Space/h57ch.htm
      >
      > )

      near the end of the Lion's tail (like flies?)

      > Alcor (80 Ursae Majoris)

      Arabic = the black horse