Re: [thefixedstars] Draco: derkein etc

  • Rab
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2007
      From: "Diana K Rosenberg" <fixed.stars@...>
      To: <thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, 11 February, 2007 5:14 AM
      Subject: [thefixedstars] Draco: derkein etc

      RW:: Indus is one of the dozen or so human figures among the
      88 constellations. This in itself is well worth noting,
      and might indicate that its significance, as a new member
      of the Round Table, will grow. In fact, Indus is the only
      new human.

      And, like Aquarius, it may become much more feminine than
      masculine. The key figure in the Aquarius trump in Tarot
      has been depicted as a female for a century or so, and
      at least one early star-mapping astronomer drew Indus as
      an AmerIndian huntress.
      =-
      DKR: Ever hear of Gula, Goddess of Medicine? She predated the
      Water-Pourer in the Euphratean figures - will send more
      about her if you want
      =-
      RW: Ahh yes, Gula. I forget where I might have seen this linked
      with a goddess. Presumably from Babylonian -gu-, a water jug;
      but Gula is usually the (male) Giant or Big One. What do YOU have?
      =-
      RW:: Although not quite there yet, unless we imagine it, the
      whole 88 precipitates an orderly and balanced set of
      categories which begins with seven Heroes (Sky Lords)
      and seven Heroines (Sky Ladies), then proceeds through
      ten more categories of seven with four constellations
      remaining - one for each of the Elements.

      The key group of seven, however, is the one comprised
      of the archetypal weapons/implements of the traditional
      ritual circle: North: Scutum (Shield), South: Sagitta
      (Arrow), East: Crux (Dagger), West: Crater (Cup), and
      Ara (Central Altar); with Crowns above & below.
      =-
      DKR: I dunno. Scutum and Crux are modern - I'm cautious with the
      moderns, because anyone can put anything out there...
      =-
      RW: Come, come. No new or renamed constellations have
      been possible since 1930. A natural symmetry has evolved
      with roughly half old & mythic, half new & 'realistic'.
      They intertwingle like Yin & Yang.

      =-
      DKR: One thing I've found with Draco is a sort of "overview," and "the
      ability to see (or imagine) the whole picture" (Draco is at the N Pole,
      the word "dragon" derives from Greek derkein, "seeing") and I found a
      lot of playwrights and filmmakers under its stars...then there's the
      source of the word "draconian":
      =-
      RW:: "Derives"? There does seem to be a phonic & meaningful
      resonance with -derkein- but usually the more obvious/direct
      link is to [Gk] -drakon- serpent.

      DKR: Yes, but the Greeks have other words for serpent (snake) -
      anguis, and ophis, for instance.
      =-
      RW:: I guess you have a reference that links back to maybe
      some Indo-European *dr-k = seeing root?
      =-
      DKR: I don't remember where I got the original info on derkein/dragon,
      but I just googled these:

      http://www.dragonrouge.net/english/general.htm
      The word dragon comes from the Greek verb derkein which means "to see". The
      Dragon is the principle of clear seeing: the ability to see things in a new
      light as they really are, beyond all illusions. For this reason the dragon
      has great wisdom and power in the myths.
      =-
      RW: Seems reasonable. Stemming likely from the snake's
      sensitivity & quick response to slight movement.. even
      if this has nothing to do with its poor sight!
      =-
      Keep warm!
      =-
      I'm trying.