Draco: derkein etc

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2007
      Draco: derkein etc

      Rab sent

      Indus, originally drawn in Bayer's (1603) atlas as a
      North American 'Indian' hunter/warrior clutching arrows,
      and depicted later by others with a quiver, or as The
      Persian, can relate generically to indigenes anywhere I
      suppose, but maybe the main idea is projectile weaponry.

      There are already Sagitta, the Arrow (about 18 Cap-14 Aquar)
      Indus is roughly 27 Cap to 10 Aquarius, so it fits inside that span

      and the ready-to-launch arrow of the Archer is the beginning of Cap
      (Mars, Aries Ingress, 1939 was at tip of Archer's arrow, sq the Sun)

      And the indigene in this case could be, quite literally,
      a Persian.. or at least an Iranian inspired Shiite.
      ===========
      Well, that "Persian" (Po-Sse or Pe Sze) came from China, supposedly
      from the Jesuit missionaries...

      Interesting: Iran chart (return of Ayatollah) Feb 1 1979,
      9:33 AM, -3.5, Teheran has Mars at 9 Aquar 02, which aligns
      with Epsilon Indi, then 9 Aquar 21.

      Comet McNaught will be in that longitude on March 7th

      Let's see

      Note that the sword, club, arrow, and serpent are the
      four types of celestial weaponry, corresponding with
      the Four Elements - Air Earth Fire Water, respectively.
      We might wonder about the serpent because it's animate,
      but de-animating venom has long been the deadliest of
      weapons.

      Indus is one of the dozen or so human figures among the
      88 constellations. This in itself is well worth noting,
      and might indicate that its significance, as a new member
      of the Round Table, will grow. In fact, Indus is the only
      new human.

      And, like Aquarius, it may become much more feminine than
      masculine. The key figure in the Aquarius trump in Tarot
      has been depicted as a female for a century or so, and
      at least one early star-mapping astronomer drew Indus as
      an AmerIndian huntress.

      Ever hear of Gula, Goddess of Medicine? She predated the
      Water-Pourer in the Euphratean figures - will send more
      about her if you want

      Although not quite there yet, unless we imagine it, the
      whole 88 precipitates an orderly and balanced set of
      categories which begins with seven Heroes (Sky Lords)
      and seven Heroines (Sky Ladies), then proceeds through
      ten more categories of seven with four constellations
      remaining - one for each of the Elements.

      The key group of seven, however, is the one comprised
      of the archetypal weapons/implements of the traditional
      ritual circle: North: Scutum (Shield), South: Sagitta
      (Arrow), East: Crux (Dagger), West: Crater (Cup), and
      Ara (Central Altar); with Crowns above & below.

      I dunno. Scutum and Crux are modern - I'm cautious with the
      moderns, because anyone can put anything out there...

      The Microscope belongs to the category of Scientific Tools
      as distinct from Artistic (or Creative) Tools.
      =-
      DK: One thing I've found with Draco is a sort of "overview," and "the
      ability to see (or imagine) the whole picture" (Draco is at the N Pole,
      the word "dragon" derives from Greek derkein, "seeing") and I found a
      lot of playwrights and filmmakers under its stars...then there's the
      source of the word "draconian":
      =-
      RW: "Derives"? There does seem to be a phonic & meaningful
      resonance with -derkein- but usually the more obvious/direct
      link is to [Gk] -drakon- serpent.

      Yes, but the Greeks have other words for serpent (snake) - anguis, and ophis,
      for instance

      I guess you have a reference
      that links back to maybe some Indo-European *dr-k = seeing
      root?

      I don't remember where I got the original info on derkein/dragon, but I just
      googled these:

      http://www.dragonrouge.net/english/general.htm
      The word dragon comes from the Greek verb derkein which means "to see". The Dragon is the principle of clear seeing: the ability to see things in a new light as they really are, beyond all illusions. For this reason the dragon has great wisdom and power in the myths.

      http://www.bullseyetattoos.com/articles/?article=37

      Keep warm!

      Love, Diana

    • Rab
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2007
        RW:: Indus is one of the dozen or so human figures among the
        88 constellations. This in itself is well worth noting,
        and might indicate that its significance, as a new member
        of the Round Table, will grow. In fact, Indus is the only
        new human.

        And, like Aquarius, it may become much more feminine than
        masculine. The key figure in the Aquarius trump in Tarot
        has been depicted as a female for a century or so, and
        at least one early star-mapping astronomer drew Indus as
        an AmerIndian huntress.
        =-
        DKR: Ever hear of Gula, Goddess of Medicine? She predated the
        Water-Pourer in the Euphratean figures - will send more
        about her if you want
        =-
        RW: Ahh yes, Gula. I forget where I might have seen this linked
        with a goddess. Presumably from Babylonian -gu-, a water jug;
        but Gula is usually the (male) Giant or Big One. What do YOU have?
        =-
        RW:: Although not quite there yet, unless we imagine it, the
        whole 88 precipitates an orderly and balanced set of
        categories which begins with seven Heroes (Sky Lords)
        and seven Heroines (Sky Ladies), then proceeds through
        ten more categories of seven with four constellations
        remaining - one for each of the Elements.

        The key group of seven, however, is the one comprised
        of the archetypal weapons/implements of the traditional
        ritual circle: North: Scutum (Shield), South: Sagitta
        (Arrow), East: Crux (Dagger), West: Crater (Cup), and
        Ara (Central Altar); with Crowns above & below.
        =-
        DKR: I dunno. Scutum and Crux are modern - I'm cautious with the
        moderns, because anyone can put anything out there...
        =-
        RW: Come, come. No new or renamed constellations have
        been possible since 1930. A natural symmetry has evolved
        with roughly half old & mythic, half new & 'realistic'.
        They intertwingle like Yin & Yang.

        =-
        DKR: One thing I've found with Draco is a sort of "overview," and "the
        ability to see (or imagine) the whole picture" (Draco is at the N Pole,
        the word "dragon" derives from Greek derkein, "seeing") and I found a
        lot of playwrights and filmmakers under its stars...then there's the
        source of the word "draconian":
        =-
        RW:: "Derives"? There does seem to be a phonic & meaningful
        resonance with -derkein- but usually the more obvious/direct
        link is to [Gk] -drakon- serpent.

        DKR: Yes, but the Greeks have other words for serpent (snake) -
        anguis, and ophis, for instance.
        =-
        RW:: I guess you have a reference that links back to maybe
        some Indo-European *dr-k = seeing root?
        =-
        DKR: I don't remember where I got the original info on derkein/dragon,
        but I just googled these:

        http://www.dragonrouge.net/english/general.htm
        The word dragon comes from the Greek verb derkein which means "to see". The
        Dragon is the principle of clear seeing: the ability to see things in a new
        light as they really are, beyond all illusions. For this reason the dragon
        has great wisdom and power in the myths.
        =-
        RW: Seems reasonable. Stemming likely from the snake's
        sensitivity & quick response to slight movement.. even
        if this has nothing to do with its poor sight!
        =-
        Keep warm!
        =-
        I'm trying.