Re: [thefixedstars] Draco

  • Rab
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2007
      From: "Diana K Rosenberg" <fixed.stars@...>
      To: <thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, 10 February, 2007 1:39 PM
      Subject: [thefixedstars] Chiron, Aquila, Sagitta; etc.

      Posted by: "Mark Andrew Holmes" mahtezcatpoc@... mahtezcatpoc
      Date: Fri Feb 9, 2007 3:56 pm ((PST))

      > Mark sent
      >
      > > Chiron
      > >
      > > *Tso Ke (Rho Aquilae)
      > >
      > > Diamond Ring Nebula (Abell 70 Aquilae)
      > >
      > > *Chi Cygni (fairly well-known variable)
      > >
      > > *Struve 2398 (Draconis; nearby star)
      > >
      > > *Epsilon Indi
      > >
      > > *Lucida Microscopii (Gamma Microscopii)
      > >
      > > WZ Sagittae (cataclysmic variable)
      > ==========
      I sent:

      > How about the helicopters being shot down in Iraq - Aquila and Cygnus
      > = flight, Sagitta = weapons

      Mark replied:

      Yes, and Indus = Asia? Also, there are claims that this was an Al-Qaeda job
      (Draco?)

      And, you will notice that stars from Microscopium are involved also. This
      whole mess is coming under more scrutiny.
      =============================
      DK: About Indus, I have found it to relate to indigeonus peoples; in
      this case the "native" local people as distinct from westerners as
      "invaders"

      I don't usually use the modern constellation figures, but Indus is one of
      the exceptions; my problem with Microscopium is that it impinges on stars
      that would be the aft end of the Southern Fish; however, in this case I
      think you might have something (more scrutiny)
      =-

      RW: Tsk-tsk. Why not use all? But I suppose the modern constellations
      can take time to grow on one, and begin to make sense as a natural
      and perhaps inevitable outgrowth of the older batch, even as their
      fulfillment.. filling gaps and encompassing the whole celestial
      sphere.

      Indus, originally drawn in Bayer's (1603) atlas as a
      North American 'Indian' hunter/warrior clutching arrows,
      and depicted later by others with a quiver, or as The
      Persian, can relate generically to indigenes anywhere I
      suppose, but maybe the main idea is projectile weaponry.
      And the indigene in this case could be, quite literally,
      a Persian.. or at least an Iranian inspired Shiite.

      Note that the sword, club, arrow, and serpent are the
      four types of celestial weaponry, corresponding with
      the Four Elements - Air Earth Fire Water, respectively.
      We might wonder about the serpent because it's animate,
      but de-animating venom has long been the deadliest of
      weapons.

      Indus is one of the dozen or so human figures among the
      88 constellations. This in itself is well worth noting,
      and might indicate that its significance, as a new member
      of the Round Table, will grow. In fact, Indus is the only
      new human.

      And, like Aquarius, it may become much more feminine than
      masculine. The key figure in the Aquarius trump in Tarot
      has been depicted as a female for a century or so, and
      at least one early star-mapping astronomer drew Indus as
      an AmerIndian huntress.

      Although not quite there yet, unless we imagine it, the
      whole 88 precipitates an orderly and balanced set of
      categories which begins with seven Heroes (Sky Lords)
      and seven Heroines (Sky Ladies), then proceeds through
      ten more categories of seven with four constellations
      remaining - one for each of the Elements.

      The key group of seven, however, is the one comprised
      of the archetypal weapons/implements of the traditional
      ritual circle: North: Scutum (Shield), South: Sagitta
      (Arrow), East: Crux (Dagger), West: Crater (Cup), and
      Ara (Central Altar); with Crowns above & below.

      The Microscope belongs to the category of Scientific Tools
      as distinct from Artistic (or Creative) Tools.
      =-
      DK: One thing I've found with Draco is a sort of "overview," and "the
      ability to see (or imagine) the whole picture" (Draco is at the N Pole,
      the word "dragon" derives from Greek derkein, "seeing") and I found a
      lot of playwrights and filmmakers under its stars...then there's the
      source of the word "draconian":
      =-
      RW: "Derives"? There does seem to be a phonic & meaningful
      resonance with -derkein- but usually the more obvious/direct
      link is to [Gk] -drakon- serpent. I guess you have a reference
      that links back to maybe some Indo-European *dr-k = seeing
      root?

      8-)

      -=Rab