Re: Fixed star alignments (January 7, 2007)

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2007

      > > As of noon CST.
      > >

      > > Jupiter
      > >

      > > *Kuma (Nu-1 Draconis)

      the name means (possibly) "at last"

      > > *Han (Zeta Ophiuchi)
      >

      > having to do with trouble
      >

      > > *Rho Ophiuchi
      >

      > crushing a snake underfoot, so to speak
      >

      > > *Antares (Alpha Scorpii)
      >

      > excessive, extreme, stubborn?
      >

      > > *Shark's Jaws Nebula (K 1-3 Scorpii)
      >

      > in mortal peril
      >

      > > *Gatria (Gamma Trianguli Australe)

      sanctified, or being a false prophet or leader?

      (The Trinity = Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
      The Diabolical Trinity = Satan, Antichrist and False Prophet)

      > > Saturn
      > >

      > > *MM Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > something done neatly and tidily
      >

      > > Subra (Omicron Leonis)
      > >
      > > Peanut Nebula of Leo (CW Leonis)
      > >
      > > Frosty Leo Nebula (IRAS 09371+1912 Leonis)
      > >
      > > Lucida Pictoris (Alpha Pictoris)
      > >

      > > Uranus
      > >

      > > Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii)
      > >
      > > Nova Cygni 1992 (V1974 Cygni; cataclysmic variable)
      > >
      > > Scovil's Object (Q1991/107 Cygni)
      > >
      > > Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri)
      > >
      > > VY Sculptoris (cataclysmic variable)
      > >

      > > Neptune
      > >

      > > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
      > >
      > > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
      > >
      > > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
      > >
      > > QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
      > >

      > > Pluto
      > >

      > > Mu Arae
      > >
      > > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)
      > >
      > > *Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
      >

      > isolation?
      >

      > > RS Ophiuchi
      > >
      > > Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
      > >
      > > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
      > >
      > > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
      > >
      > > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
      > >

      > > Ceres
      > >

      > > *Sadalmelek (Alpha Aquarii)
      >
      > brought to a swift and complete end
      >

      > > *Ancha (Theta Aquarii)

      meaning "hipbone"

      > > *FO Aquarii
      >

      > "faugh"?
      >

      > > *Nova Cygni 1920 (V476 Cygni; cataclysmic variables)

      meaning what? (presumably something Ceres-related)

      > > *Egg Nebula (CRL 2688 Cygni)
      >

      > something hatching
      >

      > > *KL Draconis (cataclysmic variables)
      >

      > "kill"?
      >

      > > *Fomalhaut (Alpha Piscis Austrini)
      >

      > leaving a legacy?
      >

      > > *Lacaille 9352 (Piscis Austrini; nearby star)
      > >

      > > Pallas
      > >

      > > *PQ Aquilae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > having to mind one's P's and Q's?
      >

      > > *Giedi Prima (Alpha-1 Capricorni)
      > >
      > > *Giedi Secunda (Alpha-2 Capricorni)
      > >
      > > *Dabih (Beta Capricorni)
      > >
      > > *Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
      > >
      > > *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
      > >
      > > *Footprint Nebula (Minkowski 1-9 Cygni)
      >

      > making history (leaving footprints)
      >

      > > *Campbell's Nebula (PK 64+5.1 Cygni)
      > >
      > >--> *Shelton's Star (Supernova SN1987A Doradus; I named it
      > > for its discoverer, Canadian astronomer Ian Shelton)
      >

      > having to do with unconcern for others
      >

      > > *Campbell's Star (HD 184738 Lyrae)

      Campbell's = insipid but inoffensive, mundane and mildly interesting,
      like Campbell's Soup?

      > > Juno
      > >

      > > *Arcturus (Alpha Bootis)
      >
      > bold action
      >

      > > *Nekkar (Beta Bootis)

      Arabic = ox driver

      > > *Varthorz Prior (Upsilon Carinae)

      out front, hardy and reliable (marks Robur Carolinum, Charles' Oak)

      > > *EX Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > "ex"?
      >

      > > *Spica (Alpha Virginis)
      >
      > fruitful activity seen as unjust by some
      >

      > > Vesta
      > >

      > > *Birdun (Epsilon Centauri)

      meaning "the packhorse"

      > > *R Coronae Borealis
      > >
      > > --->*Zubenalgenubi (Alpha Librae)
      >

      > having to do with lack of forgiveness
      >

      > > *Mululizi (aka Zubenelakribi: Delta Librae)

      on a knife-edge?

      > > *LX Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > "legs", "60" (getting old; issues having to do with retirement or
      > seniors?)
      >

      > > Chiron
      > >

      > > Diamond Ring Nebula (Abell 70 Aquilae)
      > >
      > > Lucida Microscopii (Gamma Microscopii)
      > >
      > > *WZ Sagittae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > "wiz" (wizard, wizard of Oz, "whizz," wisdom)?
      >

      > > Black Widow Pulsar (B1957+20 Sagittae)
      >

      > women killing their men (or vice versa)?
      >

      > > North Node
      > >

      > > *Honda's Star (V1500 Cygni; also known as Nova Cygni
      > > 1975, a bright nova discovered by Japanese astronomer
      > > Minoru Honda)
      >

      > somewhat weird or "out there"
      >

      > > *Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)
      >

      > moth-eaten, mothballed, having to do with moths, dusted off?
      >

      > > Shih (Sigma Pegasi)
      > >
      > > Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)

      nibbled at