Fixed star alignments (February 4, 2007)

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2007
      As of noon CST.

      Asterisks indicate new alignments (that didn't exist a
      week ago today).

      Jupiter

      *Lucida Apodis (Alpha Apodis; the brightest star in
      Apus the Bird of Paradise)

      RR Chamaeleontis (cataclysmic variable)

      *Sarin (Delta Herculis)

      Great Attractor (Abell 3627 Normae)

      *Wei (Epsilon Scorpii)

      Saturn

      Tania Australis (Mu Ursae Majoris)

      Owl Nebula (M97 Ursae Majoris)

      Pherkad (Gamma Ursae Minoris)

      Pherkad Minor (11 Ursae Minoris)

      Uranus

      Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri)

      Neptune

      *Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni)

      HR Delphini

      IL Vulpeculae

      QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)

      Pluto

      Mu Arae (has several planets)

      Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

      Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

      AH Mensae

      RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variables)

      Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)

      (a faint variable which is an old red giant on the
      cusp of becoming a white dwarf; discovered in 1996 by
      Japanese astronomer Yukio Sakurai, who was looking for
      comets

      http://www.aavso.org/vstar/vsots/0602.shtml

      )

      Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

      Integral X-ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)

      Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)

      Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)

      Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)

      Basanismus (G Scorpii)

      Acumen (M-7 Scorpii, Ptolemy's Cluster)

      Pallas

      *Albulaan Borealis (Mu Aquarii)

      *Armus (Eta Capricorni)

      *Dorsum (Theta Capricorni)

      CH Cygni (cataclysmic variable)

      *Cygnus X-1

      *Veil Nebula (NGC 6960 Cygni)

      *Deneb Dulfim (Epsilon Delphini)

      Juno

      *Izar (Epsilon Bootis)

      Ma Wei (Delta Centauri)

      Maenalus (Tau Virginis; marks the obsolete
      constellation Mons Maenalus, Mount Maenalus, on whose
      summit Bootes is standing)

      Vesta

      *Mandrill Nebula (Henize 2-111 Centauri)

      *Zwicky's Triplet (Arp 103 Coronae Borealis, a faint
      trio of galaxies)

      http://observers.org/reports/98.08.21.6.html

      *Draco Dwarf Galaxy (UGC 10822 Draconis; a faint
      satellite of the Milky Way Galaxy)

      *White-Eyed Pea (IC 4593 Herculis, a planetary nebula)

      Hilasmus (Delta Lupi)

      Chiron

      Markarian 409 (Aquarii)

      Chi Cygni (a fairly well-known variable star)

      *Foxhead Cluster (NGC 6819 Cygni, an open cluster)

      Struve 2398 (Draconis, a nearby star)

      Epsilon Indi (another nearby star)

      Lucida Tucanae (Alpha Tucanae, the brightest star in
      Tucana the Toucan)

      *47 Tucanae (NGC 104 Tucanae, a bright globular
      cluster mistakenly given a Flamsteed star number)

      North Node

      Honda's Star (V1500 Cygni, also known as Nova Cygni
      1975, a bright 1975 nova discovered by Japanese
      astronomer Minoru Honda)

      *Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)

      *Achernar (Alpha Eridani)

      *RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)

      Homan (Zeta Pegasi)

      *Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)

      South Node

      La Superba (Y Canum Venaticorum)

      *Ghost of Jupiter Nebula (NGC 3242 Hydrae)

      Copeland's Septet (Hickson 57 Leonis, a group of seven
      galaxies)

      *Mizar (Zeta Ursae Majoris)

      Alcor (80 Ursae Majoris; the visual companion of
      Mizar, the middle star in the Big Dipper's handle, or
      the Great Bear's elongated tail)

      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2007

        > As of noon CST.
        >

        > Asterisks indicate new alignments

        Many of these alignments, as usual, can be related to what's going on
        in Washington or the Middle East right now.

        > Jupiter
        >

        > *Lucida Apodis (Alpha Apodis; the brightest star in
        > Apus the Bird of Paradise)

        Birds of paradise, in legend, didn't touch the ground until after they
        died, because they had no feet (a misconception created by the first
        stuffed specimens to arrive in Europe, which were minus their feet).

        "Flying around" without ever (or hardly) touching the ground; divorced
        from reality?

        > RR Chamaeleontis (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Sarin (Delta Herculis)

        On Hercules' left shoulder (giving bad advice to someone or something
        powerful; the name also happens to be the name of a type of nerve gas)

        > Great Attractor (Abell 3627 Normae)
        >
        > *Wei (Epsilon Scorpii)

        Chinese = the tail

        > Saturn
        >

        > Tania Australis (Mu Ursae Majoris)

        In the right hind paw of Ursa Major (tracking something like a bear,
        or a bear standing up to climb after something or make an intimidating
        gesture?)

        > Owl Nebula (M97 Ursae Majoris)

        having to do with owls, or things happening late at night?

        > Pherkad (Gamma Ursae Minoris)
        >
        > Pherkad Minor (11 Ursae Minoris)

        Pherkad = "calf." Having to do with calves, with veal, with cattle
        breeding?

        > Uranus
        >

        > Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri)
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > *Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

        "...said to give malevolence, destructiveness and an uncontrollable
        temper." (Robson)

        > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

        having to do with Islam (illusions or delusions about Islam?)

        > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni)
        >
        > HR Delphini
        >
        > IL Vulpeculae
        >
        > QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
        >

        > Pluto
        >

        > Mu Arae (has several planets)
        >
        > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)
        >
        > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

        isolated, reclusive, dishonored, disgraced

        > AH Mensae
        >
        > RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variables)
        >
        > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)
        >
        > (a faint variable which is an old red giant on the
        > cusp of becoming a white dwarf; discovered in 1996 by
        > Japanese astronomer Yukio Sakurai, who was looking for
        > comets
        >
        > http://www.aavso.org/vstar/vsots/0602.shtml
        >
        > )
        >
        > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Integral X-ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
        >
        > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
        >
        > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii, Ptolemy's Cluster)
        >

        > Pallas
        >

        > *Albulaan Borealis (Mu Aquarii)

        "the northern of the two swallowers"

        > *Armus (Eta Capricorni)

        "It gives disagreeableness, contempt, instability, shamelessness,
        nagging and a troublesome nature." (Robson)

        > *Dorsum (Theta Capricorni)

        "...said to have an unfortunate influence." (Robson)

        > CH Cygni (cataclysmic variable)

        having to do with sweetness (C&H Sugar), with Switzerland or with
        things associated with Switzerland like craftsmanship, finance, winter
        sports, detachment or neutrality (.ch = Switzerland's top-level
        domain; stands for Confederatio Helvetica, Latin for Swiss Confederation)

        > *Cygnus X-1

        teaches detachment from outcome

        > *Veil Nebula (NGC 6960 Cygni)

        mystery, secrecy, secretiveness; Muslim dress

        > *Deneb Dulfim (Epsilon Delphini)

        on Delphinus the Dolphin's tail (hence the name)

        something that flicks its tail and disappears, so to speak

        > Juno
        >

        > *Izar (Epsilon Bootis)

        Arabic = loincloth

        > Ma Wei (Delta Centauri)
        >
        > Maenalus (Tau Virginis; marks the obsolete
        > constellation Mons Maenalus, Mount Maenalus, on whose
        > summit Bootes is standing)
        >

        > Vesta
        >

        > *Mandrill Nebula (Henize 2-111 Centauri)

        face-painting, masks? (Mardi Gras in New Orleans?)

        > *Zwicky's Triplet (Arp 103 Coronae Borealis, a faint
        > trio of galaxies)
        >
        > http://observers.org/reports/98.08.21.6.html

        things coming in threes

        > *Draco Dwarf Galaxy (UGC 10822 Draconis; a faint
        > satellite of the Milky Way Galaxy)

        old, dying and obscure, like the galaxy(?)

        > *White-Eyed Pea (IC 4593 Herculis, a planetary nebula)

        food that has a not-very-good reputation (like soul food, sweets or
        fast food)?

        > Hilasmus (Delta Lupi)

        Greek = propitiation

        > Chiron
        >

        > Markarian 409 (Aquarii)
        >
        > Chi Cygni (a fairly well-known variable star)
        >
        > *Foxhead Cluster (NGC 6819 Cygni, an open cluster)
        >
        > Struve 2398 (Draconis, a nearby star)
        >
        > Epsilon Indi (another nearby star)
        >
        > Lucida Tucanae (Alpha Tucanae, the brightest star in
        > Tucana the Toucan)
        >
        > *47 Tucanae (NGC 104 Tucanae, a bright globular
        > cluster mistakenly given a Flamsteed star number)
        >

        > North Node
        >

        > Honda's Star (V1500 Cygni, also known as Nova Cygni
        > 1975, a bright 1975 nova discovered by Japanese
        > astronomer Minoru Honda)

        mass insanity

        > *Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)

        having to do with fast food or things forbidden to certain people
        (like observant Jews, or children)?

        > *Achernar (Alpha Eridani)

        "gives success in public office, beneficence, and religion" (Robson)

        > *RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)

        "are you" on time (work to be done on deadline?)

        > Homan (Zeta Pegasi)

        Arabic = "lucky star of the hero"

        > *Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)

        http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Ankaa.html

        light, openings, burning

        > South Node
        >

        > La Superba (Y Canum Venaticorum)
        >
        > *Ghost of Jupiter Nebula (NGC 3242 Hydrae)

        like a ghost or an echo of Jupiter (expansive, lucky, having to do
        with faith, hope, charity or religion)

        > Copeland's Septet (Hickson 57 Leonis, a group of seven
        > galaxies)
        >
        > *Mizar (Zeta Ursae Majoris)

        mass calamities, conflagration, creative spirit

        > Alcor (80 Ursae Majoris; the visual companion of
        > Mizar, the middle star in the Big Dipper's handle, or
        > the Great Bear's elongated tail)

        More later.

        (That is, I'll try to interpret some of these, and some I've listed in
        other weekly reports, later.)