Fixed star alignments (December 3, 2006) (another addendum)

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2006

      > --- Mark Andrew Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:
      >
      > > As of noon CST.
      > >
      > > Asterisks indicate new alignments

      > > Jupiter
      > >

      > > *Lucida Circini (Alpha Circini, the brightest star
      > > in
      > > Circinus the Drafting Compass)
      > >
      > > Kornephoros (Beta Herculis)
      > >
      > > *Kajam (Omega Herculis)
      > >
      > > *Thusia (Gamma Lupi)
      > >
      > > *Keyhole Planetary (MRSC 252 Normae)
      > >
      > > *Yed Prior (Delta Ophiuchi)
      > >
      > > *Isidis (Delta Scorpii)

      Vrischika (Pi Scorpii)

      (Sanskrit = scorpion)

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2006

        > As of noon CST.
        >
        > Asterisks indicate new alignments

        > Jupiter
        >

        > *Lucida Circini (Alpha Circini, the brightest star in
        > Circinus the Drafting Compass)
        >
        > Kornephoros (Beta Herculis)

        carrying a crown (to put on somebody's head?)

        > *Kajam (Omega Herculis)

        Hercules' club (some kind of powerful weapon, somebody or something
        struck down?)

        > *Thusia (Gamma Lupi)

        Greek = sacrifice (or Thusia Theron, Greek for "animal sacrifice")

        > *Keyhole Planetary (MRSC 252 Normae)

        having to do with warrantless spying?

        > *Yed Prior (Delta Ophiuchi)

        "immorality, shameless, revolution" (Robson)

        > *Isidis (Delta Scorpii)

        "sudden assaults, malevolence, immorality, shamelessness" (Robson)

        > Saturn
        >

        > Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)

        to see in the dark

        > Ukdah (Tau-2 Hydrae)

        "the knot" (some kind of bargain or oath made, something that seals
        something)

        > Subra (Omicron Leonis)
        >
        > Peanut Nebula of Leo (CW Leonis)

        having to do with Jimmy Carter (his controversial latest book?)

        > Lucida Pictoris (Alpha Pictoris, the brightest star in
        > Pictor the Easel)
        >
        > Malus (Gamma Pyxidis, representing the obsolete
        > constellation Malus, the Mast of the Ship Argo)

        needing to hang somebody, flying a banner, trying to get one's moral
        compass back (this star *is* part of Pyxis the Compass)

        > Uranus
        >

        > Hydria (Eta Aquarii)
        >
        > Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii)
        >
        > Magic Carpet Nebula (NGC 7027 Cygni)
        >
        > Scovil's Object (Q1991/107 Cygni)
        >
        > Nova Cygni 1992
        >
        > WX Hydri
        >
        > VY Sculptoris (cataclysmic variables)
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > Albulaan Australis (Nu Aquarii)

        "a thumping"

        > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
        >
        > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)
        >
        > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
        >
        > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
        >
        > EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Pluto
        >

        > Tchou (aka Choo; Alpha Arae)
        >
        > Tseen Yin (Delta Arae)
        >
        > Lucida Mensae (Alpha Mensae, the brightest star in
        > Mensa the Table Mountain)
        >
        > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Iron Star (XX Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
        >
        > *Galactic Center (in Sagittarius)
        >
        > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
        >
        > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
        >
        > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        >
        > *Hyman's Burper (GLRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar
        > whose name refers to its lead discoverer, Scott Hyman,
        > and its emission pattern)

        burping like the little turtle named Mack at the bottom of the stack
        that toppled King Yertle the Turtle of Salamasond in the Dr. Seuss story?

        > Ceres
        >

        > LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

        spotlight on laziness or a substandard amount of effort?

        > *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

        "overcoming by evil that is turned into success, and danger from
        beasts" (Robson)

        > *Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

        blinking like a stop light?

        > *Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)

        playful, frisky

        > *Gruid (Beta Gruis)

        on the back of something or someone devoted and watchful (colorful?)

        > *VW Hydri

        a humble conveyance or a conveyance for humble people

        > *TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)

        to tie

        > Pallas
        >

        > *Van Biesbroeck's Star (Gliese 752 Aquilae)

        I need to figure this one out.

        > *Snowglobe Nebula (NGC 6781 Aquilae)

        when the globe is shaken, you can't see inside it; you can see inside
        it as long as you don't agitate it

        > *Sulaphat (Gamma Lyrae)

        Arabic = the tortoise

        > *Cor Pavonis (Sigma Pavonis; I think this marks Pavo
        > the Peacock's heart)

        boastful, preening, divalike (?)

        > *Merrill's Star (M 1-67 Sagittae, sort of a
        > pseudo-planetary nebula which gets its name from Paul
        > Merrill, an astronomer who published a paper on it in
        > 1938)

        I need to figure this one out too. A nebula means obscuration of some
        sort?

        > Juno
        >

        > *Merga (38 Bootis)
        >
        > *Roberts 22 (CRL 4140 Carinae, a nebula)
        >
        > *Lucida Volantis (Beta Volantis, the brightest star in
        > Volans the Flying Fish [slightly brighter than Gamma-2
        > Volantis])

        inspiration of some sort?

        > Vesta
        >

        > *UZ Bootis (cataclysmic variable)

        Uzi = assault rifles? weapons of mass destruction? military matters or
        things having to do with crime?

        > *Varthorz Posterior (Theta Carinae)

        thrown overboard (varthorz = the waterline)

        > *Blue Planetary (NGC 3918 Centauri)

        blinded by melancholy?

        > Chiron
        >

        > Bos (Rho Capricorni)

        acting on a higher frequency

        > Tarantula Nebula (30 Doradus)
        >
        > LU Vulpeculae

        "the loo" (flushed)

        > *LV Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)

        feeling the love (pay attention)

        > Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)
        >

        > North Node
        >

        > Simmah (Gamma Piscium)

        A Babylonian fish goddess

        (There has been concern about depletion of edible fish species through
        overfishing)

        > Solarium (Beta Reticuli, representing the obsolete
        > constellation Solarium the Sundial)

        casting a shadow, showing the time

        > South Node
        >

        > *AM Canum Venaticorum (cataclysmic variable)

        lots of public and possibly overheated discussion

        > Lucida Antliae (Alpha Antliae, the brightest star in
        > Antlia the Air Pump)

        inflated, lots of hot air, sucking out all the air (carbon monoxide
        poisoning?)

        > Denebola (Beta Leonis)

        quick anger?

        > UX Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable)