Re: Ancient Greek Astronomical Computer

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2006
      This week Saturn (old things) is aligned with Alpha Pictoris (in
      Pictor the Easel, something which makes it possible to depict
      something), and Pallas is aligned with Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis,
      the brightest star in [lucida of] Octans the Octant, an old instrument
      having to do with astronomy).

      Mark A. Holmes

      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, astrocalypse@... wrote:

      http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article2026794.ece

      > By Steve Connor, Science Editor
      > Published: 30 November 2006
      >
      > An astronomical instrument built by the Ancient Greeks in the 2nd
      century
      > BC has turned out to be a complex computer for calculating the relative
      > position of the sun, the moon and the planets.
      >
      > Scientists studied the internal workings of the machine by using a
      > sophisticated medical scanner. They concluded it was at least 1,000
      years
      > ahead of its time.
      >
      > The Antikythera Mechanism was rescued from a Roman shipwreck at the turn
      > of the last century but its precise function was little understood
      because
      > it was broken into 82 pieces.
      >
      > Made of bronze and wood, the device was evidently an instrument of some
      > sort because it used a complicated set of gears to move a series of
      > concentric wheels and pointers that appeared to predict movements of
      > astronomical objects. But scientists were surprised to find it was
      in fact
      > a sophisticated analogue computer that acted as a long-term calendar for
      > predicting lunar and solar eclipses and planetary movements.
      >
      > An international team of scientists drawn from many different
      disciplines
      > took part in the study. Their picture of how the device worked and
      what it
      > was intended to do has astonished classical scholars.
      >
      > Professor Mike Edmunds of Cardiff University, a leading member of the
      > research team, said: "This device is just extraordinary, the only
      thing of
      > its kind. The design is beautiful, the astronomy is exactly right.
      The way