Re: [thefixedstars] Peanut Nebula?

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2006

      http://www.cedar-astronomers.org/files/contributions/PN_Nicknames.doc

      http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/C/CWLeo.html

      > An alternate designation is IRC +10216.
      >
      > This page mentions both CW Leonis and IRAS
      > 21282-5050 (two different
      > objects, apparently). (PDF file.)
      >
      > http://sait.oat.ts.astro.it/MSAIS/2/PDF/233.pdf
      >
      > I think my mind may have been wandering when I
      > entered it into SolarFire. I
      > just went in and corrected it.
      > =====================================
      > ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
      >
      > OK, so this last link has CW Leonis with Peanut
      > Nebula in parens -
      > so I guess you are saying they are one and the same?
      >
      > (As far as I can tell there are several "peanut
      > nebulas" because
      > many nebulae are double-lobed and look like a
      > peanut)

      I was thinking it might be good to designate this as
      CW Leonis, given that there's at least one more nebula
      (on the border between Camelopardalis and Perseus; I
      forget its catalog designation right now) that has the
      nickname Peanut Nebula and no other.

      Sponsored Link

      Get a free Motorola Razr! Today Only!
      Choose Cingular, Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, or T-Mobile.
      http://www.letstalk.com/inlink.htm?to=592913
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2006
        Peanut Nebula?

        I sent

         OK, so this last link has CW Leonis with Peanut
        > Nebula in parens -
        > so I guess you are saying they are one and the same?
        >
        > (As far as I can tell there are several "peanut
        > nebulas" because
        > many nebulae are double-lobed and look like a
        > peanut)
        ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
        Mark sent:

        I was thinking it might be good to designate this as
        CW Leonis, given that there's at least one more nebula
        (on the border between Camelopardalis and Perseus; I
        forget its catalog designation right now) that has the
        nickname Peanut Nebula and no other.
        ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
        I would have loved CW Leonis to be the one-and-only Peanut
        Nebula, because it's Jimmy Carter's Venus!

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2006
          --- Diana K Rosenberg <fixed.stars@...> wrote:

          > I sent
          >
          > OK, so this last link has CW Leonis with Peanut
          > > Nebula in parens -
          > > so I guess you are saying they are one and the
          > same?
          > >
          > > (As far as I can tell there are several "peanut
          > > nebulas" because
          > > many nebulae are double-lobed and look like a
          > > peanut)
          > ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
          > Mark sent:
          >
          > I was thinking it might be good to designate this as
          > CW Leonis, given that there's at least one more
          > nebula
          > (on the border between Camelopardalis and Perseus; I
          > forget its catalog designation right now) that has
          > the
          > nickname Peanut Nebula and no other.
          > ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
          > I would have loved CW Leonis to be the one-and-only
          > Peanut
          > Nebula, because it's Jimmy Carter's Venus!

          I believe he quit the Navy's nuclear submarine program
          after his father died because the family business
          interests in Georgia (including peanut farming) needed
          taking care of.

          This other Peanut Nebula, Sharpless 2-205, in
          Camelopardalis, might be worth looking at, too.

          http://www.skyinsight.net/deepskylog/detail_object.php?object=Sh+2-205

          http://www.astroimages.com/sh2-205.htm

          Want to start your own business?
          Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.