Peanut Nebula?

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2006
      Peanut Nebula?

      Mark sent

       Hi Mark

      > Can you give me the source for the "Peanut Nebula" associated with
      > IRAS 21282-5050?
      >
      > I would love to use it but need a source

      This document (it's not a web page; it's a Microsoft Word document that will download to your computer) says the Peanut Nebula is CW Leonis.

      http://www.cedar-astronomers.org/files/contributions/PN_Nicknames.doc

      Here's another page on CW Leonis.

      http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/C/CWLeo.html

      An alternate designation is IRC +10216.

      This page mentions both CW Leonis and IRAS 21282-5050 (two different objects, apparently). (PDF file.)

      http://sait.oat.ts.astro.it/MSAIS/2/PDF/233.pdf

      I think my mind may have been wandering when I entered it into SolarFire. I just went in and corrected it.
      =====================================
      ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

      OK, so this last link has CW Leonis with Peanut Nebula in parens -
      so I guess you are saying they are one and the same?

      (As far as I can tell there are several "peanut nebulas" because
      many nebulae are double-lobed and look like a peanut)

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2006
        --- Diana K Rosenberg <fixed.stars@...> wrote:

        > Mark sent
        >
        > Hi Mark
        > >
        > > Can you give me the source for the "Peanut Nebula"
        > associated with
        > > IRAS 21282-5050?
        > >
        > > I would love to use it but need a source
        > >

        > This document (it's not a web page; it's a Microsoft
        > Word document that will
        > download to your computer) says the Peanut Nebula is
        > CW Leonis.

        http://www.cedar-astronomers.org/files/contributions/PN_Nicknames.doc

        > Here's another page on CW Leonis.

        http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/C/CWLeo.html

        > An alternate designation is IRC +10216.
        >
        > This page mentions both CW Leonis and IRAS
        > 21282-5050 (two different
        > objects, apparently). (PDF file.)
        >
        > http://sait.oat.ts.astro.it/MSAIS/2/PDF/233.pdf
        >
        > I think my mind may have been wandering when I
        > entered it into SolarFire. I
        > just went in and corrected it.
        > =====================================
        > ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
        >
        > OK, so this last link has CW Leonis with Peanut
        > Nebula in parens -
        > so I guess you are saying they are one and the same?
        >
        > (As far as I can tell there are several "peanut
        > nebulas" because
        > many nebulae are double-lobed and look like a
        > peanut)

        I was thinking it might be good to designate this as
        CW Leonis, given that there's at least one more nebula
        (on the border between Camelopardalis and Perseus; I
        forget its catalog designation right now) that has the
        nickname Peanut Nebula and no other.

        Sponsored Link

        Get a free Motorola Razr! Today Only!
        Choose Cingular, Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, or T-Mobile.
        http://www.letstalk.com/inlink.htm?to=592913
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2006
          Peanut Nebula?

          I sent

           OK, so this last link has CW Leonis with Peanut
          > Nebula in parens -
          > so I guess you are saying they are one and the same?
          >
          > (As far as I can tell there are several "peanut
          > nebulas" because
          > many nebulae are double-lobed and look like a
          > peanut)
          ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
          Mark sent:

          I was thinking it might be good to designate this as
          CW Leonis, given that there's at least one more nebula
          (on the border between Camelopardalis and Perseus; I
          forget its catalog designation right now) that has the
          nickname Peanut Nebula and no other.
          ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
          I would have loved CW Leonis to be the one-and-only Peanut
          Nebula, because it's Jimmy Carter's Venus!

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2006
            --- Diana K Rosenberg <fixed.stars@...> wrote:

            > I sent
            >
            > OK, so this last link has CW Leonis with Peanut
            > > Nebula in parens -
            > > so I guess you are saying they are one and the
            > same?
            > >
            > > (As far as I can tell there are several "peanut
            > > nebulas" because
            > > many nebulae are double-lobed and look like a
            > > peanut)
            > ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
            > Mark sent:
            >
            > I was thinking it might be good to designate this as
            > CW Leonis, given that there's at least one more
            > nebula
            > (on the border between Camelopardalis and Perseus; I
            > forget its catalog designation right now) that has
            > the
            > nickname Peanut Nebula and no other.
            > ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
            > I would have loved CW Leonis to be the one-and-only
            > Peanut
            > Nebula, because it's Jimmy Carter's Venus!

            I believe he quit the Navy's nuclear submarine program
            after his father died because the family business
            interests in Georgia (including peanut farming) needed
            taking care of.

            This other Peanut Nebula, Sharpless 2-205, in
            Camelopardalis, might be worth looking at, too.

            http://www.skyinsight.net/deepskylog/detail_object.php?object=Sh+2-205

            http://www.astroimages.com/sh2-205.htm

            Want to start your own business?
            Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.