Bootes star names

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2006
      Bootes star names

      Mark sent

      > If you want/need to give them names,

      I'm not the one who came up with them. I don't know who did, but they're on the Alcyone website and on Wikipedia.

      Mark A. Holmes
      =======
      Can you give me the URL of Alcyone and also what subject Wikipedia has them under?
      I'd like to contact them and make my point.

      Thank you

      Love, Diana

    • Trishmare7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2006
        In a message dated 10/22/2006 12:32:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, fixed.stars@... writes:
        Can you give me the URL of Alcyone and also what subject Wikipedia has them under?
        I'd like to contact them and make my point.
        Good for you Diana!  No one better than you to do it, either. (Personally, I'm always a bit skeptical of Wikopedia data anyway ...)

        Love,
        Trish
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2006
          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Trishmare7@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 10/22/2006 12:32:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > fixed.stars@... writes:
          >
          > Can you give me the URL of Alcyone and also what subject Wikipedia
          has them
          > under?
          > I'd like to contact them and make my point.
          >

          > Good for you Diana! No one better than you to do it, either.
          (Personally,
          > I'm always a bit skeptical of Wikopedia data anyway ...)

          Wikipedia *is* vandalism-prone and its credibility has been damaged
          somewhat. But Alcyone (whose URL is in the Links section) had those
          names on the site, too, and then there are some pages from
          universities that also reference the names Asellus Primus for Iota
          Bootis, Asellus Secundus for Theta Bootis, and Asellus Tertius for
          Kappa (2) Bootis.

          http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/asellusp.html

          http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/constellations/Bootes.html

          So I figured I'd go ahead and use the names. :-)

          Who came up with them, anyway?

          Mark A. Holmes
        • Trishmare7@aol.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2006
              Also sometimes things come accross more sternly on email than
              meant.one hopes that was the case anyway...

              I really enjoy being able to come here and review current transits
              on a regular basis.

              MissB

              --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Trishmare7@... wrote:

              > I for one appreciate the time you take to do this Mark!--nice
              thing about
              > these lists is more eyes and brains to catch any data that might
              be iffy.

              > Love,
              > Trish
              >
              > In a message dated 10/22/2006 7:51:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              > mahtezcatpoc@... writes:
              >
              > Wikipedia *is* vandalism-prone and its credibility has been
              damaged
              > somewhat. But Alcyone (whose URL is in the Links section) had
              those
              > names on the site, too, and then there are some pages from
              > universities that also reference the names Asellus Primus for Iota
              > Bootis, Asellus Secundus for Theta Bootis, and Asellus Tertius for
              > Kappa (2) Bootis.
              >
              > _http://www.astro.http://wwhttp://www.http://wwhttp_
              > (http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/asellusp.html)

              _http://www.astro.http://wwhttp://www.astrohttp://www.astrohttp://www