Lambda Aquarii

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2005
      --- Astro Logos <office@...> wrote:

      > This is just to let you know that I have put up the
      > web pages of occultation
      > data. I have done 400 years 1700 to 2099.
      >
      > There are five bright stars that the Moon can occult - El
      > Nath in Taurus, Aldebaran in Taurus, Antares in Scorpio,
      > Spica in Virgo and Regulus in Leo. I have the 400 years of
      > data for all five stars. Of couse the Moon can occult many
      > other stars but these are the only mag 2 or brighter
      > stars.
      >
      > The link is:
      >
      > http://astrologos.co.uk/fixedstars.htm
      >
      > And click on the link to occultations

      Bless you, Bernadette, these are wonderful to have!

      Have you ever considered adding Lambda Aquarii (Hydor,
      Ekchusis, Satabishaj)? It's not bright but it's right at the
      ecliptic, and Uranus is approaching it now; among the
      mundane events are storms, floods, shipwrecks, air
      crashes, explosions, destruction by major city-wide fires,
      unusually powerful earthquakes and eruptions, war, great
      battles, assassinations, stalking, murder, liberations,
      acts of brutal intolerance; epidemics, great discoveries

      (I know this sounds like "everything but the kitchen sink"
      but it really is powerful - others have noticed this as
      well)

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2005
        --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
        wrote:
        > --- Astro Logos <office@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > This is just to let you know that I have put up
        > the
        > > web pages of occultation
        > > data. I have done 400 years 1700 to 2099.
        > >
        > > There are five bright stars that the Moon can
        > occult - El
        > > Nath in Taurus, Aldebaran in Taurus, Antares in
        > Scorpio,
        > > Spica in Virgo and Regulus in Leo. I have the 400
        > years of
        > > data for all five stars. Of couse the Moon can
        > occult many
        > > other stars but these are the only mag 2 or
        > brighter
        > > stars.
        > >
        > > The link is:
        > >
        > > http://astrologos.co.uk/fixedstars.htm
        > >
        > > And click on the link to occultations
        >
        > Bless you, Bernadette, these are wonderful to have!
        >
        > Have you ever considered adding Lambda Aquarii
        > (Hydor,
        > Ekchusis, Satabishaj)? It's not bright but it's
        > right at the
        > ecliptic, and Uranus is approaching it now; among
        > the
        > mundane events are storms, floods, shipwrecks, air
        > crashes, explosions, destruction by major city-wide
        > fires,
        > unusually powerful earthquakes and eruptions, war,
        > great
        > battles, assassinations, stalking, murder,
        > liberations,
        > acts of brutal intolerance; epidemics, great
        > discoveries

        I have Satabishaj on my Chiron.

        > (I know this sounds like "everything but the kitchen
        > sink"
        > but it really is powerful - others have noticed this
        > as
        > well)

        http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/lambdaaqr.html

        And how about Wasat (Delta Geminorum), Ascella
        Australis (Delta Cancri), and Zubenalgenubi (Alpha
        Librae), too? (1 Geminorum, Rho Leonis and Omega-1
        Scorpii, which are also listed on this page, aren't as
        well-known.)

      • Diana K. Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2005
          I thought the group might be interested in this:

          Mark A. Holmes sent:

          http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/lambdaaqr.html

          I clicked on it and checked out what Kaler wrote; I was
          surprised that he had no names for Lambda Aquarii, so I sent
          him an e-mail about it (see bottom of message), and this is
          what he wrote back:

          Diana, you caught me, and thanks. You are quite right. I
          just missed that one. I will correct the page, but i want
          first to pass it through a Greek classicist friend, so it
          will take a bit if time. I appreciate your calling it to my
          attention, and I will let you know when i get the correction
          in.

          jim kaler

          Jim Kaler
          Professor Emeritus of Astronomy Phone: (217) 333-9382
          University of Illinois Fax: (217) 244-7638
          Department of Astronomy email: kaler@...
          103 Astronomy Bldg. web: http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/
          1002 West Green St.
          Urbana, IL 61801
          USA

          Visit: http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/ for links to:
          Skylights (Weekly Sky News updated each Friday)
          Stars (Portraits of Stars and the Constellations)
          The StarGazer (a new planetarium show)

          On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Diana K. Rosenberg wrote:

          > Thanks for an interesting site!
          >
          > Puzzled that you wrote that Lambda Aquarii is unnamed -
          >
          > Allen's Star Names, their Lore and Meaning has (p 55) three
          > names: Hydor, Ekchusis (transliterated; cannot send Greek
          > letters in an e-mail), and Satabishaj (this last is the name
          > of the ancient Hindu lunar mansion of which it is the single
          > determinant star).
          >
          > Best wishes,
          >
          > Diana K Rosenberg

          I'm feeling shamefully smug at having "corrected" a Prof of
          Astronomy!