Re: Fixed star alignments (October 1, 2006) (part 2)

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2006

      > > As of noon CDT.

      > > Jupiter
      > >

      > *WX Centauri (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      "wax" (like a candle, or a finish, or maybe a beauty treatment,
      something that makes slick, smooth and shiny)

      (a coat of whitewash? making slippery?)

      > > *Solitarius (58 Hydrae; marks the obsolete constellation Turdus
      > > Solitarius, the Solitary Thrush)

      standing all alone (Mark Foley?)

      > > *Zubenelschemali (Beta Librae)

      things going one's way; one's dues paid; social reform proposed for
      selfish reasons

      > > *Nu Librae

      not balancing somehow? something not right?

      > *Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi)

      a human chain? a chain-link fence?

      > > Saturn
      > >

      > *Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)
      >
      > (I have "destruction" or "release" for this one)
      >

      > > Raselased Australis (Epsilon Leonis)
      > >
      > > Raselased Borealis (Mu Leonis)
      > >
      > > *Phekda (Gamma Ursae Majoris)

      This should be Pherkad (Gamma-2 Ursae Minoris). Similar name, wrong
      star, wrong constellation.

      > > Tania Australis (Mu Ursae Majoris)

      *Pherkad Minor (Gamma-1 Ursae Minoris)

      (This is one of several stars that I found on the Alcyone Software
      website also had proper names. It's in the Links section, but here it
      is again:

      http://www.alcyone.de/SIT/

      Click on the link "search for a single star," then click on the search
      button below the text box at the top of the page labeled "search for
      proper name, enter name" while leaving the text box empty. You'll get
      a list of 726 stars listed in order of HR [Harvard Revised Catalog]
      number. Lots of stars on this list have more than one proper name; for
      example, HR 2491, Alpha Canis Majoris, is Sirius, and also Canicula,
      Dog Star, and Aschere.)

      > > Uranus
      > >

      > > Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii)
      >
      > Nova Cygni 1992
      >
      > Scovil's Object (Q1991/107 Cygni)
      > >
      > > Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri)
      >
      > VY Sculptoris (cataclysmic variable)
      > >

      > > Neptune
      > >

      > > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
      > >
      > > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)
      > >
      > > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
      >
      > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
      >
      > EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)
      > >

      > > Pluto
      > >

      > > Choo(Alpha Arae)
      > >
      > > Beta Arae
      > >
      > > Grumium (Xi Draconis)
      > >
      > > Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)
      > >
      > > Lesath (Upsilon Scorpii)
      >
      > Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)
      > >

      > > Ceres
      > >

      > > *Albali (Epsilon Aquarii)

      In Aquarius' left hand; its name is Arabic for "the swallower."

      (devouring the sins of others? or something someone swallows, like food?)

      > AE Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > > Armus (Eta Capricorni)
      >
      > Cygnus X-1
      > >

      > > Pallas
      > >

      > *DQ Herculis
      > >
      > >--->*Kaus Medius (Delta Sagittarii)
      > >
      > >--->*Kaus Australis (Epsilon Sagittarii)

      in the Archer's bow (taking aim at something?)

      > *Omega Nebula (M-17 Sagittarii)
      >
      > (I have "termination" or "release" for this one)

      Mark Foley's political career

      > *Little Star Cloud (M-24 Sagittarii)

      too preoccupied with trivia?

      > *Eagle Nebula (M-16 Serpentis [in Serpens Cauda])

      blinded to traditional American ideals of decency? (the legislation
      about terrorism detainees)

      > > *Alpha Telescopii

      astronomical matters in the news; trying to see something from far off
      (to prognosticate)

      > > Juno
      > >

      > > *Alpha Antliae

      blown up immensely

      > *AM Canum Venaticorum (cataclysmic variable)

      a lot of (perhaps wild) buzz

      > > *Denebola (Beta Leonis)

      sudden swift anger

      > *UX Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable)

      "you (U) are obscene" or "sexy" (X-rated)(?)

      > > Vesta
      > >

      > *Pinwheel Galaxy (M-99 Comae Berenices)

      the propeller-beanie people (not very bright, more than a little weird)(?)

      > > *Alpha Sextantis

      trying to navigate a situation

      > > *Markeb (Kappa Velorum)

      Condoleeza Rice went to Iraq, Bill Clinton's traveling around

      > *Wild's Triplet (Arp 248 Virginis; a group of galaxies)

      people starting trouble, creating mischief

      > > Chiron
      > >

      > *PQ Aquilae (cataclysmic variable)

      "mind your Ps and Qs"(?)

      > > Giedi (Alpha Capricorni)
      > >
      > > Dabih (Beta Capricorni)
      > >
      > > Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
      > >
      > > Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
      > >
      > > Bos (Rho Capricorni)
      >
      > Footprint Nebula (Minkowski 1-92 Cygni)
      >
      > Campbell's Nebula (PK64+5.1 Cygni)
      > >
      > > Campbell's Star (HD 184738 Lyrae)
      > >

      > > North Node
      > >

      > *BL Lacertae
      >
      > (I have "a consuming fire" for this one)

      burning, crazy

      > Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)
      > >
      > > Matar (Eta Pegasi)
      > >
      > > Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi)
      > >

      > > South Node
      > >

      > > Cor Caroli (Alpha Canum Venaticorum)
      > >
      > > Copula (M-51 Canum Venaticorum, the Whirlpool Galaxy)
      > >

      > T Leonis

      Maybe more later.