Re: Fixed star alignments (September 24, 2006)

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2006

      > Positions as of noon CDT.
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > *Rho Coronae Borealis

      has a planet, and reportedly a stellar companion (though this is doubtful)

      (there has been a spate of Hollywood celebrities disavowing reports
      that they're engaged or in the process of adopting--one couple
      reportedly split up after months of denying that they even were going
      together)

      > LX Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)

      In Isaac Asimov's vintage science-fiction novel *Pebble In The Sky*,
      people on Earth were required to be executed when they turned 60 to
      avoid depletion of limited resources on the planet.

      Ruthlessly disposed of so that others might live/prosper?

      > Saturn
      >

      >--->Raselased Australis (Epsilon Leonis)
      >
      >--->*Raselased Borealis (Mu Leonis)

      having to do with strange and possibly destructive ways of expressing
      oneself?

      > Merak (Beta Ursae Majoris)

      Darfur in the news again

      > Tania Borealis (Lambda Ursae Majoris)

      trying to find firm footing as one attacks? (politically)

      > Uranus
      >

      > Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii)

      flooding? Or, "my cup runneth over"

      > Nova Cygni 1992
      >
      > *Scovil's Object (Q1991/107 Cygni)
      >
      > Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri)
      >
      >--->VY Sculptoris (cataclysmic variable)

      the upcoming elections (in the US and in Venezuela, where tens of
      thousands have rallied in support of Hugo Chavez's opponent)?

      > Neptune
      >

      > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
      >
      > --->*Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

      surfacing (like a dolphin coming up for air)?

      > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
      >
      > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
      >
      > EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Choo (Alpha Arae)
      >
      > Beta Arae
      >
      > Stingray Nebula (Henize 3-1357 Arae)
      >
      > Grumium (Xi Draconis)
      >
      > Lesath (Lambda Scorpii)
      >
      > Shaula (Upsilon Scorpii)
      >
      > Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > *AE Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

      having to do with arts and entertainment?

      > Armus (Eta Capricorni)
      >
      > Dorsum (Theta Capricorni)
      >
      > CH Cygni

      I heard that British schools have caught the no-snack-food-in-school bug.

      > Cygnus X-1 (famous X-ray source/black hole)

      emphasis on death and letting go

      > Pallas
      >

      > *DQ Herculis (cataclysmic variable)

      Those of you who aren't American may not be familiar with Dairy Queen.
      It's a fast-food restaurant chain based in the Midwest (Minneapolis)
      and originating there (in Joliet, Illinois in 1940) which is pretty
      big in the American heartland. They sell grill food (I like its
      hamburgers in particular--big, juicy and drippy, with a generous
      garnish of fresh tomato, sour-pickle and onion slices) but the chain
      specializes in fairly exotic flavors of sundaes, shakes and other ice
      cream stuff (you can get vanilla, chocolate and strawberry shakes at
      McDonald's but Dairy Queen also offers butterscotch, cherry, blueberry
      [I think], etc.), and the chain is now trying to exploit the current
      fascination with gourmet coffee which it managed to cede to Starbucks
      in the 90s.

      (A diverse array of choices? Trying to play catch-up?)

      > *Emerald Nebula (NGC 6572 Ophiuchi; also known as the Turquoise Orb)

      having to do with Ireland, with the environment, or with emeralds or
      other green things?

      (organic produce?)

      > Polis (Mu Sagittarii)

      political or military accomplishment

      > *Little Star Cloud (M-25 Sagittarii)

      thinking you're more than what you are?

      > Vesta
      >

      > *Cor Caroli (Alpha Canum Venaticorum)

      looking for something worthy of one's loyalty or support? (This star
      gets its name from England's King Charles II, who was let back into
      the country after the collapse of the regime of the Cromwells in the
      17th century)

      > *Copula (M-51 Canum Venaticorum, the Whirlpool Galaxy)

      the heat of passion possibly causing blindness and disappointment
      (Mark Foley? The upcoming election?)

      > *T Leonis (cataclysmic variable)

      "where the lion walks"(?)

      > *Eight-Burst Planetary (NGC 3132 Velorum)

      Let me try and figure this one out.

      > Chiron
      >

      > Giedi (Alpha Capricorni)
      >
      > Dabih (Beta Capricorni)
      >
      > Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
      >
      > Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
      >
      > Bos (Rho Capricorni)
      >
      > *Campbell's Nebula (PK64+5.1 Cygni, a small planetary nebula near
      Albireo)

      like something the Swan's trying to catch in her mouth

      (you know the Campbell's Soup slogan--"Mmm!Mmm! Good!"?)

      (having to do with the food supply?--the spinach scare?)

      > *Footprint Nebula (Minkowski 1-92 Cygni; also known as Minkowski's
      > Footprint)

      leaving traces (having trouble seeing them, or seeing them for what
      they are? This is a nebula)

      > *Campbell's Star (HD 184738 Lyrae)

      (Campbell's Soup? Luther Campbell of 2 Live Crew--remember the
      controversy over that rap group's lyrics?)

      (reflecting appetites considered forbidden?--the Foley e-mail scandal?)

      > North Node
      >

      > Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)
      >
      > Matar (Eta Pegasi)
      >
      > Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi)
      >
      > Stephan's Quintet (a group of galaxies dominated by NGC 7317
      > northwest of Pi Pegasi near the Lacerta border)

      trampled underfoot? a hard-luck place? (Africa, Afghanistan, Iraq)