I was wrong

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
      I was wrong

      Now I think I was wrong

      Probably Leonardo was 14th

      Grandpa was calling it Saturday the 15th because to him the
      new day had already started - right?

      But we would not have started Saturday until the following 0 hr -
      so it WAS the 14th by our reckoning.

      Mea culpa

      I've read that according to the calculations of sunset etc it would have been
      about 9:40 PM LAT (Local Apparent Time)

      Sorry I goofed.  Head has been properly beaten against the wall

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
        Exactly! and why there is so much confusion since we count days
        differently now. When did that change anyway? anyone know?

        that seems like something that might still be country to country?
        possibly?

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006

          > Exactly! and why there is so much confusion since we count days
          > differently now. When did that change anyway? anyone know?
          >
          > that seems like something that might still be country to country?
          > possibly?
          >
          > MissB

          I guess it's one of the changes that was brought about worldwide
          through Western European imperialism. As far as I know, nobody
          reckons the beginning of a day from anything except midnight except
          adherents of Judaism, Bahaism and certain other religions for their
          own ritual purposes.

          Mark A. Holmes

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
            one of those things I'm gonna have to track down, I"m feeling rather
            sherlockish this week for some reason... and its irritating me I
            can't find a few bits of Info. MissB

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2006
              I was wrong

              MissB and Mark wrote

              Re: I was wrong
                  Posted by: "mahtezcatpoc" mahtezcatpoc@... mahtezcatpoc
                  Date: Mon Oct 9, 2006 3:37 pm (PDT)

              > Exactly! and why there is so much confusion since we count days
              > differently now. When did that change anyway? anyone know?
              >
              > that seems like something that might still be country to country?
              > possibly?
              >
              > MissB

              I guess it's one of the changes that was brought about worldwide through Western European imperialism. As far as I know, nobody reckons the beginning of a day from anything except midnight except adherents of Judaism, Bahaism and certain other religions for their own ritual purposes.

              Mark A. Holmes
              I'm assuming the original use of sunset as the start of a new day
              was that it was VISIBLE.

              And if a day (i.e. daylight) ended at sunset, then obviously the
              next (new) day had to start there as well.

              No?