Re: Question about star, Skat in Aquarius constellation.

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
      Magnitude I have found listed from 3.25 to 3.5
      spectral class A2 on some sites A3V on others.
      White Star.

      Anne Wrights has this to say about it. It has also gone by many
      names.
      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/alphabet1.htm

      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "labladybug" <labladybug@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I found your group while trying to find specific information about
      the
      > star, Delta Aquarii or Skat within the Aquarius constellation. My
      son
      > has a school assignment and after much research, he's still stumped
      on
      > a few questions. I researched as well and couldn't find the answers
      > either.
      >
      > We found out that Skat is 160 ly away from (Sun or Earth?) but
      cannot
      > find out what color the star is or the brightness of the star. From
      > what we've read on different sites, we're guessing that the star is
      > red star because of other red stars in the area? And that it is
      less
      > than 4 magnitude in brightness but I can't find a specific magnitude
      > for Skat. Anyone know these specifics???
      >
      > Any help you can give us would be great!!! Thanks!!!
      >
      > labladybug and son

    • labladybug
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
        Thank you! One more question about it's brightness. He needs to know
        how much brighter than the Sun this star is....we have a sense that it
        is a fairly bright star due to the 3.25 rating but in relation to the sun?

        Thanks again,

        labladybug

        > Magnitude I have found listed from 3.25 to 3.5
        > spectral class A2 on some sites A3V on others.
        > White Star.
        >
        > Anne Wrights has this to say about it. It has also gone by many
        > names.
        > http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/alphabet1.htm

      • Derek Reveres
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2006
          Hey there,

          I checked out what wikipedia had to say about magnitude, and it referenced
          the following link:

          http://www.astronomynotes.com/starprop/s4.htm

          This page not only says the difference between each relative magnitude
          grouping, but it has a chart that includes the Sun, so it should have all
          the info you need.