Question about star, Skat in Aquarius constellation.

  • labladybug
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
      Hello,

      I found your group while trying to find specific information about the
      star, Delta Aquarii or Skat within the Aquarius constellation. My son
      has a school assignment and after much research, he's still stumped on
      a few questions. I researched as well and couldn't find the answers
      either.

      We found out that Skat is 160 ly away from (Sun or Earth?) but cannot
      find out what color the star is or the brightness of the star. From
      what we've read on different sites, we're guessing that the star is a
      red star because of other red stars in the area? And that it is less
      than 4 magnitude in brightness but I can't find a specific magnitude
      for Skat. Anyone know these specifics???

      Any help you can give us would be great!!! Thanks!!!

      labladybug and son
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
        Magnitude I have found listed from 3.25 to 3.5
        spectral class A2 on some sites A3V on others.
        White Star.

        Anne Wrights has this to say about it. It has also gone by many
        names.
        http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/alphabet1.htm

        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "labladybug" <labladybug@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I found your group while trying to find specific information about
        the
        > star, Delta Aquarii or Skat within the Aquarius constellation. My
        son
        > has a school assignment and after much research, he's still stumped
        on
        > a few questions. I researched as well and couldn't find the answers
        > either.
        >
        > We found out that Skat is 160 ly away from (Sun or Earth?) but
        cannot
        > find out what color the star is or the brightness of the star. From
        > what we've read on different sites, we're guessing that the star is
        > red star because of other red stars in the area? And that it is
        less
        > than 4 magnitude in brightness but I can't find a specific magnitude
        > for Skat. Anyone know these specifics???
        >
        > Any help you can give us would be great!!! Thanks!!!
        >
        > labladybug and son

      • labladybug
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
          Thank you! One more question about it's brightness. He needs to know
          how much brighter than the Sun this star is....we have a sense that it
          is a fairly bright star due to the 3.25 rating but in relation to the sun?

          Thanks again,

          labladybug

          > Magnitude I have found listed from 3.25 to 3.5
          > spectral class A2 on some sites A3V on others.
          > White Star.
          >
          > Anne Wrights has this to say about it. It has also gone by many
          > names.
          > http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/alphabet1.htm

        • Derek Reveres
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2006
            Hey there,

            I checked out what wikipedia had to say about magnitude, and it referenced
            the following link:

            http://www.astronomynotes.com/starprop/s4.htm

            This page not only says the difference between each relative magnitude
            grouping, but it has a chart that includes the Sun, so it should have all
            the info you need.