Re: Fixed star alignments (September 17, 2006)

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2006

      > As of noon CST.
      >
      > Asterisks indicate alignments that didn't exist a week ago today.
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > R Coronae Borealis
      >
      > (I have "release" and "attainment" for this one)
      >
      > Zubenalgenubi (Alpha Librae)
      >
      > Mululizi (Delta Librae)
      >
      > *LX Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)

      "lex"? "lux"?

      > Saturn
      >

      > *Raselased Australis (Epsilon Leonis)
      >
      > Merak (Beta Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > Tania Borealis (Lambda Ursae Majoris)
      >

      > Uranus
      >

      > Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii)
      >
      > *Nova Cygni 1992
      >
      > Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri)
      >
      > *VY Sculptoris (cataclysmic variable)

      to "vie" (?)

      > Neptune
      >

      > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
      >
      > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
      >
      > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
      >
      > EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Choo (Alpha Arae)
      >
      > Beta Arae
      >
      > Stingray Nebula (Henize 3-1357 Arae)
      >
      > Grumium (Xi Draconis)
      >
      > Lesath (Lambda Scorpii)
      >
      > Shaula (Upsilon Scorpii)
      >
      > Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Armus (Eta Capricorni)

      somebody won't leave something alone (Social Security, mistreating
      prisoners)

      > Dorsum (Theta Capricorni)
      >
      > CH Cygni (a peculiar variable star near Iota Cygni)
      >
      > Veil Nebula (NGC 6960 Cygni; a diffuse nebula between Epsilon and
      > Zeta Cygni in Cygnus the Swan's right wing)
      >
      > *Cygnus X-1 (famous X-ray source/black hole)
      >
      > (I have "teaches detachment" for this one)
      >
      > Deneb Dulfim (Epsilon Delphini)
      >

      > Pallas
      >

      > Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis, the closest thing we have on Earth
      > to a South Star at this time)
      >
      > Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis, a galaxy
      > even closer to the south celestial pole than Polaris
      > Australis)
      >
      > Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
      > constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatovski's Bull]
      > along with 68 and 69 Ophiuchi)
      >
      > *Polis (Mu Sagittarii)

      trying to stay on top of a political situation or crisis? Maybe the
      coup in Thailand?

      > Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)
      >

      > Juno
      >

      > *Ghost of Jupiter Nebula (NGC 3242 Hydrae)

      only the illusion of a god/bringer of good fortune?

      > *Copeland's Septet (a galaxy group in Leo east of Zosma [Delta Leonis]
      > dominated by NGC 3745)
      >
      > *Mizar (Zeta Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > *Alcor (80 Ursae Majoris; the dim companion of Mizar, the middle star
      > in the Big Dipper's handle)

      I understand this star was used as a test of good vision by the Romans
      and Arabs (you had good eyesight if you could separate it from Mizar).

      > Vesta
      >

      > *AM Canum Venaticorum (cataclysmic variable)

      "am"? "AM" (radio)?

      > *Denebola (Beta Leonis)

      suddenly angry? (like some Muslims at Pope Benedict XVI?)

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2006
        Is this the Roman Numeral? in which case I think its 60.
        > > *LX Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > "lex"? "lux"?
        (snippage)
        > > *Armus (Eta Capricorni)
        >
        > somebody won't leave something alone (Social Security, mistreating
        > prisoners)

        how about the whole airplane security thing. sigh, that is really
        going ot backfire one of these days. already impacts the travel
        industry horribly. I used to love to fly.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25, 2006
          --- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

          > Is this the Roman Numeral? in which case I think its
          > 60.
          > > > *LX Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)

          LX. Actually, it's two letters, an Argelander
          designation; but maybe that means something. What
          associations does 60 have?

          > > "lex"? "lux"?
          > (snippage)
          > > > *Armus (Eta Capricorni)
          > >
          > > somebody won't leave something alone (Social
          > Security, mistreating
          > > prisoners)
          >
          > how about the whole airplane security thing. sigh,
          > that is really
          > going ot backfire one of these days. already impacts
          > the travel
          > industry horribly. I used to love to fly.

          Yeah, some people think the government is pushing them
          around on that.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 26, 2006
            devices that detect liquiid/gel and composit explosives have been
            available from the Company EG&G (supplyer of MOST metal detectors in
            Airports and Government offices) Since the late 90's... the obscenely
            personal security measures currently in place are not only NOT
            necessary, the only purpose they serve is intimidation. this is
            leadership by fear, commonly used by Nazi party to secure its power.

            I can't hlep but hope the Saturn Neptune opposition is an indication
            that that power base is over. sigh...

            Flying...