Re: No Earlier Parans?

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
      Arthyr wrote:
      "Egyptian and Babylonian scholars alike used a repeating numbering
      system that was used to acquire math solutions. If the solution of
      dividing 60 by 5 were required, they added (or doubled) five until the
      number 60 could be found therein."

      MissBHavens aka Beth replies:
      I understood the Babylonian number system to be a base 60, but I
      didn't realize that the egyptions were using the same numerical
      system. I understand chords etc. I'm just not always familiar with who
      did what first. some of my ancient history has gaps, some baby gaps,
      some super gaps, but gaps none the less, Thank you,

      MissB
    • Arthyr
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
        Hi Ms "B" aka Beth :-)

        Actually the Sumerians invented the base 60 system
        (our clock and compass figures for example) as well as a decimal (base 10
        system)
        Their ingenuity was in the use of both systems within a single math framework.

        Clever those guys. . .

        Arthyr

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
          No Earlier Parans?

          I am not an expert in early mathematical astronomy/astrology,
          but one of the best books I ever read on the subject is
          "A History of Astronomy" by A Pannekoek - I believe it is still
          available in a Dover reprint of an English translation

          I recommend it most highly