Re: [thefixedstars] Re: Earlier Parans?

  • PeterKecskés
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2006
      Dear Arthyr!
      Thanks a lot for your useful comments, I did not find
      anything earlier either, but I just wondering where
      did they get the idea of having the 24-hour parans and
      the heliacal rising, and setting, there must have been
      an earlier source; Yours Cat-CH-Keys P.AEther

      -- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > right angle to
      > their
      > > horizon.
      > >
      > > As you know, a planet conjoined with a star gives
      > that planet a
      > powerful
      > > influence but the mathematical requirements to
      > predict the diurnal
      > motions
      > > during the following 24-hour period
      > > was completely out of the Babylonian mental
      > makeup. One could
      > perform a
      > > paran style chart based purly on sunset at the
      > place and date of
      > birth as
      > > that is important, but the Chaldean astrologers
      > were much more
      > interested
      > > in the synodic periods, they devised "Zones" in
      > their calculations
      > that
      > > were by no means as sophisticated as the
      > Hellenist's spherical
      > > trigonometry. This is because parans are based on
      > examining the
      > times when
      > > stars and planets are at the key moments of their
      > diurnal movement,
      > i.e.
      > > either on the Ascendant, M.C. Descendant and even
      > the I.C -
      > something the
      > > Chaldeans weren't aware of calculating.
      > >
      > > The formula is:
      > > Sine ascensional difference = (tangent declination
      > [planet])
      > (tangent
      > > latitude [place])
      > > where declination is the declination of the body
      > and latitude is the
      > > terrestrial latitude of the place.If the (A/D)
      > ascentional
      > difference is
      > > positive add it to 90degrees; subtract from
      > 90degrees if negative.
      > Having
      > > added the A/D as necessary, divide by 15 (15
      > degrees = 1 hour of
      > time). The
      > > result of this division is the diurnal semi-arc of
      > the planet or
      > star.
      > >
      > > (Peter) I'm doing a research with parans and I
      > would like to know
      > if there
      > > are more
      > > >obscure source-materials on this topic; I'm
      > thinking of some
      > genuine
      > > >babylonian materials, not hellenistic stuff.
      > Bernadette might know
      > the
      > > >answer, Your help would be appreciated, Thanks in
      > advance Peter
      > > >Kecskés
      > >
      > > (A) Peter, because of the math, you're already in
      > the middle of the
      > > playground
      > > for your research. The Hellenistic sholars were
      > the culprits in
      > designing
      > > this system and I don't think you'll find anything

    • Arthyr
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2006
        Hi Peter,

        Have you explored any of O. Neugebauer's works? If you are acquainted with
        mathematical formulae his works may be of some interests. As it stands the
        early date from Euclid (300BCE) leaves room for two more centuries to
        develop ancient principles by men like Archimedes and Apollonius. By the
        time Ptolemy (close to the end of the Hellenistic period)
        arrives at the scene he comprised most of the astronomical achievements
        which could be reached with the mathematical methods of antiquity.

        Heliacal risings had to date back to the earliest observations as the stars
        were the actual markers for the daily and yearly calendars. But "Parans"
        were not noted as such because it may heve been a simple matter of fact.
        Certainly not as important as the simultaneous rising and setting of the
        Sun/Moon or perhaps two planets rising and setting at the same time.

        Remember, the Babylonians were only interested with planetary appearances,
        length of appearance, dissappearances and their length. . . nothing more
        sophisticated than that. Certainly, they must have watched the evening sky
        and noted the circular motion as the constellations rose, culminated and
        eventually set. But to believe that they did anything more than that is
        only conjecture and wouldn't stand any reality check.

        Naturally, the projection of the revolution of the diurnal motion was of
        interest long before Archimedes or even later by Hipparchus, but the tools
        were not available to do so properly.
        Too, it was Ptolemy (150 CE) that gave us the Ascendant or "Horoscopos"
        that allowed astronomers a starting position to extend the "chord tables"
        set forth by Hipparchus some 300 yeqars prior.

        If there are any earlier sources they haven't been discovered as yet.
        Perhaps in the future some student from the Eastern School of Antiquities
        will delve into the resources in the British Museum. Until then, concepts
        in vogue today and those principles that were developed during Greco-Roman
        antiquity should not be assumed "a priori" to find counterparts in
        Babylonian texts.

        Arthyr

        At 04:05 PM 9/3/2006 -0700, Peter wrote:
        > Dear Arthyr!
        > Thanks a lot for your useful comments, I did not find
        >anything earlier either, but I just wondering where
        >did they get the idea of having the 24-hour parans and
        >the heliacal rising, and setting, there must have been
        >an earlier source; Yours Cat-CH-Keys P.AEther
        >
        >-- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:
        >

        >> what about the egyptians? Just wondering as they
        >> seemed far more into
        >> the Trig. MissB
        >>
        >> --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Arthyr
        >> <awc99@...> wrote:

        >> regarding parans
        >> Eudoxos.

      • PeterKecskés
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
          Thanks again for your valuable insights; I do not
          have Neugebauer's books, but I have some books by
          hungarian egyptologists, math-historians and general
          astro-history books in english. Fagan has some really
          good insights regarding the heliacal phenomena; but
          I'm still searching... Yours Peter

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
            Arthyr wrote:
            "Egyptian and Babylonian scholars alike used a repeating numbering
            system that was used to acquire math solutions. If the solution of
            dividing 60 by 5 were required, they added (or doubled) five until the
            number 60 could be found therein."

            MissBHavens aka Beth replies:
            I understood the Babylonian number system to be a base 60, but I
            didn't realize that the egyptions were using the same numerical
            system. I understand chords etc. I'm just not always familiar with who
            did what first. some of my ancient history has gaps, some baby gaps,
            some super gaps, but gaps none the less, Thank you,

            MissB
          • Arthyr
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
              Hi Ms "B" aka Beth :-)

              Actually the Sumerians invented the base 60 system
              (our clock and compass figures for example) as well as a decimal (base 10
              system)
              Their ingenuity was in the use of both systems within a single math framework.

              Clever those guys. . .

              Arthyr

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
                No Earlier Parans?

                I am not an expert in early mathematical astronomy/astrology,
                but one of the best books I ever read on the subject is
                "A History of Astronomy" by A Pannekoek - I believe it is still
                available in a Dover reprint of an English translation

                I recommend it most highly