No Earlier Parans?

  • Arthyr
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2006
      Hi "B"

      You may be referring to the Rhind Papyrus circa mid 16's B.C.E.

      First:
      Parans articulate the process of a planet, in conjunction with a star,
      of its motion to the four "Angels"  or angles - Asc. MC, Desc. and the IC.

      This process is involved using sine and cosine values. The values of PI were not
      actually concieved until the late (2nd century BCE) by Archimedes of Syracuse.

      What the Egyptians and Babylonians used were called chords. In plane geometry, a chord is the line segment joining two points on a curve. And although the romance of ascribing certain principles to earlier, more ancient sources has a rich influence, the truth is clear that many Greek Mathmeticians were making a "Reference to Authority" to create substantial "evidence" of their work. This approach proved successful as such "evidence" proved that the scholar knew what he was talking about - obviously, it was aparent when one looked at earlier architecture.

      Many writers do that today with the use of footnotes in their thesis papers.

      Egyptian and Babylonian scholars alike used a repeating numbering system that was used to acquire math solutions.  If the solution of dividing 60 by 5 were required, they added (or doubled) five until the number 60 could be found therein.
      For example:
      1 number  5
      2 (fives are) 10
      4 (fives are)  20
      8 (fives are)  40

      Now if we add the column that adds up to sixty (20 + 40) we note that the
      numbers associated with  the number 20 is 4 and the number associated with
      40 is 8. So, add 8+4 = 12. Sixty divided by Five equals twelve. The same process can be used for multiplication.

      They could also do fractions using the same methodology but still, rather difficult
      for solutions requiring trigonometry.

      Arthyr,

      At 05:15 PM 9/3/2006 +0000, MS.B wrote:

      >what about the egyptians? Just wondering as they seemed far more into
      >the Trig. MissB
    • PeterKecskés
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2006
        Dear Arthyr!
        Thanks a lot for your useful comments, I did not find
        anything earlier either, but I just wondering where
        did they get the idea of having the 24-hour parans and
        the heliacal rising, and setting, there must have been
        an earlier source; Yours Cat-CH-Keys P.AEther

        -- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > right angle to
        > their
        > > horizon.
        > >
        > > As you know, a planet conjoined with a star gives
        > that planet a
        > powerful
        > > influence but the mathematical requirements to
        > predict the diurnal
        > motions
        > > during the following 24-hour period
        > > was completely out of the Babylonian mental
        > makeup. One could
        > perform a
        > > paran style chart based purly on sunset at the
        > place and date of
        > birth as
        > > that is important, but the Chaldean astrologers
        > were much more
        > interested
        > > in the synodic periods, they devised "Zones" in
        > their calculations
        > that
        > > were by no means as sophisticated as the
        > Hellenist's spherical
        > > trigonometry. This is because parans are based on
        > examining the
        > times when
        > > stars and planets are at the key moments of their
        > diurnal movement,
        > i.e.
        > > either on the Ascendant, M.C. Descendant and even
        > the I.C -
        > something the
        > > Chaldeans weren't aware of calculating.
        > >
        > > The formula is:
        > > Sine ascensional difference = (tangent declination
        > [planet])
        > (tangent
        > > latitude [place])
        > > where declination is the declination of the body
        > and latitude is the
        > > terrestrial latitude of the place.If the (A/D)
        > ascentional
        > difference is
        > > positive add it to 90degrees; subtract from
        > 90degrees if negative.
        > Having
        > > added the A/D as necessary, divide by 15 (15
        > degrees = 1 hour of
        > time). The
        > > result of this division is the diurnal semi-arc of
        > the planet or
        > star.
        > >
        > > (Peter) I'm doing a research with parans and I
        > would like to know
        > if there
        > > are more
        > > >obscure source-materials on this topic; I'm
        > thinking of some
        > genuine
        > > >babylonian materials, not hellenistic stuff.
        > Bernadette might know
        > the
        > > >answer, Your help would be appreciated, Thanks in
        > advance Peter
        > > >Kecskés
        > >
        > > (A) Peter, because of the math, you're already in
        > the middle of the
        > > playground
        > > for your research. The Hellenistic sholars were
        > the culprits in
        > designing
        > > this system and I don't think you'll find anything

      • PeterKecskés
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2006
> [...]

          > star.
          > >
          > > (Peter) I'm doing a research with parans and I
          > would like to know
          > if there
          > > are more
          > > >obscure source-materials on this topic; I'm
          > thinking of some
          > genuine
          > > >babylonian materials, not hellenistic stuff.
          > Bernadette might know
          > the
          > > >answer, Your help would be appreciated, Thanks in
          > advance Peter
          > > >Kecskés
          > >
          > > (A) Peter, because of the math, you're already in
          > the middle of the
          > > playground
          > > for your research. The Hellenistic sholars were
          > the culprits in
          > designing
          > > this system and I don't think you'll find anything

        • Arthyr
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2006
            Hi Peter,

            Have you explored any of O. Neugebauer's works? If you are acquainted with
            mathematical formulae his works may be of some interests. As it stands the
            early date from Euclid (300BCE) leaves room for two more centuries to
            develop ancient principles by men like Archimedes and Apollonius. By the
            time Ptolemy (close to the end of the Hellenistic period)
            arrives at the scene he comprised most of the astronomical achievements
            which could be reached with the mathematical methods of antiquity.

            Heliacal risings had to date back to the earliest observations as the stars
            were the actual markers for the daily and yearly calendars. But "Parans"
            were not noted as such because it may heve been a simple matter of fact.
            Certainly not as important as the simultaneous rising and setting of the
            Sun/Moon or perhaps two planets rising and setting at the same time.

            Remember, the Babylonians were only interested with planetary appearances,
            length of appearance, dissappearances and their length. . . nothing more
            sophisticated than that. Certainly, they must have watched the evening sky
            and noted the circular motion as the constellations rose, culminated and
            eventually set. But to believe that they did anything more than that is
            only conjecture and wouldn't stand any reality check.

            Naturally, the projection of the revolution of the diurnal motion was of
            interest long before Archimedes or even later by Hipparchus, but the tools
            were not available to do so properly.
            Too, it was Ptolemy (150 CE) that gave us the Ascendant or "Horoscopos"
            that allowed astronomers a starting position to extend the "chord tables"
            set forth by Hipparchus some 300 yeqars prior.

            If there are any earlier sources they haven't been discovered as yet.
            Perhaps in the future some student from the Eastern School of Antiquities
            will delve into the resources in the British Museum. Until then, concepts
            in vogue today and those principles that were developed during Greco-Roman
            antiquity should not be assumed "a priori" to find counterparts in
            Babylonian texts.

            Arthyr

            At 04:05 PM 9/3/2006 -0700, Peter wrote:
            > Dear Arthyr!
            > Thanks a lot for your useful comments, I did not find
            >anything earlier either, but I just wondering where
            >did they get the idea of having the 24-hour parans and
            >the heliacal rising, and setting, there must have been
            >an earlier source; Yours Cat-CH-Keys P.AEther
            >
            >-- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:
            >

            >> what about the egyptians? Just wondering as they
            >> seemed far more into
            >> the Trig. MissB
            >>
            >> --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Arthyr
            >> <awc99@...> wrote:

            >> regarding parans
            >> Eudoxos.

          • PeterKecskés
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
              Thanks again for your valuable insights; I do not
              have Neugebauer's books, but I have some books by
              hungarian egyptologists, math-historians and general
              astro-history books in english. Fagan has some really
              good insights regarding the heliacal phenomena; but
              I'm still searching... Yours Peter

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
                Arthyr wrote:
                "Egyptian and Babylonian scholars alike used a repeating numbering
                system that was used to acquire math solutions. If the solution of
                dividing 60 by 5 were required, they added (or doubled) five until the
                number 60 could be found therein."

                MissBHavens aka Beth replies:
                I understood the Babylonian number system to be a base 60, but I
                didn't realize that the egyptions were using the same numerical
                system. I understand chords etc. I'm just not always familiar with who
                did what first. some of my ancient history has gaps, some baby gaps,
                some super gaps, but gaps none the less, Thank you,

                MissB
              • Arthyr
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
                  Hi Ms "B" aka Beth :-)

                  Actually the Sumerians invented the base 60 system
                  (our clock and compass figures for example) as well as a decimal (base 10
                  system)
                  Their ingenuity was in the use of both systems within a single math framework.

                  Clever those guys. . .

                  Arthyr

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
                    No Earlier Parans?

                    I am not an expert in early mathematical astronomy/astrology,
                    but one of the best books I ever read on the subject is
                    "A History of Astronomy" by A Pannekoek - I believe it is still
                    available in a Dover reprint of an English translation

                    I recommend it most highly