Fixed star motions

  • Arthyr
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi All,

      What is the average motion of fixed stars?

      I've read several different versions and I know this is the list
      to find the right answer.

      Arthyr,
    • Trishmare7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
        In a message dated 9/1/2006 12:23:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, awc99@... writes:
        What is the average motion of fixed stars?

        I've read several different versions and I know this is the list
        to find the right answer.
        Laying in my lawnchair the other night watching them, one of the chair's supports gave way suddenly (it's rusted and difficult to "lock" in place) and those stars moved REALLY fast then ... couldn't say that speed was "average" though.   Average from the perspective of that chair maybe.

        Trish
      • Arthyr
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
          At 12:44 PM 9/1/2006 -0400, Trish answered:
          In a message dated 9/1/2006 12:23:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, awc99@... writes:
          What is the average motion of fixed stars?

          I've read several different versions and I know this is the list
          to find the right answer.
          Hi Trish,
          Ya know, I did that once on an outside set of stairs. . . with the stairs passing me by at the same rate of speed the stars were, in that brief moment, the theory of
          relativity became very clear. . . (Great response BTW)

          Arthyr

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
            Different stars move at different speeds, if you want a particular
            stars motion you might look at Ann Wrights page and compare the 1900 -
            2000 positions for an average.

            MissB
          • Arthyr
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
              Thanks Mis B.

              In my opinion we use precessional motion of one degreee every 72 years. . .
              just looking for confirmation. . .

              Thanks for Anne's site info.

              Lotza love and thanks. . .

              Arthyr

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
                You're welcome, I was trying to figure out different stars rates of
                movement not long ago for purpose of figureing out when they changed
                signs and used that page, that's when i was noticing they didn't all
                have same rate of motion, I think it may be due more to their
                longitude? closer to the poles and would seem to precess faster than
                closer to the ecliptic/equator I think?

                MissB aka Beth

              • Trishmare7@aol.com