Fixed star alignments (August 27, 2006)

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2006
      All positions as of noon CDT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today.

      Jupiter

      Menkent (Theta Centauri)

      Alphecca (Alpha Coronae Borealis)

      Acrux (Alpha Crucis)

      *Jewel Box Cluster (Kappa Crucis and other stars, NGC 4755)

      *GY Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)

      Saturn

      *NGC 2775 (Cancri; a galaxy; possibly malefic, according to this
      person named Byron Wahl who used to post on the Mercury Hour list)

      http://www.noao.edu/outreach/aop/observers/n2775.html

      *Alterf (Lambda Leonis)

      (I must be using tighter orbs than some people.--MAH)

      *RR Pictoris

      *CP Puppis (cataclysmic variables)

      Uranus

      *Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri)

      Neptune

      Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)

      Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)

      Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

      *EF Tucanae

      *QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)

      Pluto

      Choo (Alpha Arae)

      Beta Arae

      Stingray Nebula (Henize 3-1357 Arae)

      Grumium (Xi Draconis)

      Lesath (Lambda Scorpii)

      Shaula (Upsilon Scorpii)

      Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)

      Ceres

      Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)

      *Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

      *Alnair (Alpha Gruis)

      *EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)

      Pallas

      Ramo (95 Herculis; marks the obsolete constellation Ramo, the Branch,
      which some pictorial maps show Hercules holding in his hand)

      Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis, a galaxy
      even closer to the south celestial pole than Polaris
      Australis)

      *Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

      Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
      constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatovski's Bull]
      along with 68 and 69 Ophiuchi)

      Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)

      Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; M-8 and M-20 are
      nicknamed the Lagoon Nebula and the Trifid Nebula,
      respectively; M-21 is an open cluster)

      Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

      DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)

      Juno

      *Thuban (Alpha Draconis)

      *SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable)

      *Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)

      (there is another galaxy nicknamed Spindle, NGC 5866 in Draco, which
      we can call Spindle Galaxy of Draco)

      *Alula Borealis (Nu Ursae Majoris)

      *Alula Australis (Xi Ursae Majoris)

      *CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)

      Vesta

      *Zosma (Delta Leonis)

      *Leo II (UGC 6253 Leonis, a dwarf spheroidal galaxy which is one of
      the nearest to our own)

      http://www.seds.org/~spider/spider/LG/leo2.html

      *Suhail (Lambda Velorum)

      Chiron

      *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)

      Bos (Rho Capricorni)

      LU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

      North Node

      *Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)

      Matar (Eta Pegasi)

      *Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi)

      South Node

      Cor Caroli (Alpha Canum Venaticorum)

      Copula (M-51 Canum Venaticorum; aka the Whirlpool
      Galaxy)

      *T Leonis (cataclysmic variable)

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2006

        > All positions as of noon CDT.
        >

        > Jupiter
        >

        > Menkent (Theta Centauri)
        >
        > Alphecca (Alpha Coronae Borealis)
        >
        > Acrux (Alpha Crucis)
        >
        > *Jewel Box Cluster (Kappa Crucis and other stars, NGC 4755)

        having to do with non-Christian beliefs (like Scientology [Tom
        Cruise], or Islam) (?)

        > *GY Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Saturn
        >

        > *NGC 2775 (Cancri; a galaxy; possibly malefic, according to this
        > person named Byron Wahl who used to post on the Mercury Hour list)
        >
        > http://www.noao.edu/outreach/aop/observers/n2775.html
        >
        > *Alterf (Lambda Leonis)
        >
        > (I must be using tighter orbs than some people.--MAH)

        Jill Carroll (who once "put her head in the lion's mouth", so to
        speak, by going to Iraq) has been in the news some lately.

        > *RR Pictoris

        anything having to do with railroads lately?

        > *CP Puppis (cataclysmic variables)
        >

        > Uranus
        >

        > *Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri)
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
        >
        > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
        >
        > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
        >
        > *EF Tucanae
        >
        > *QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
        >

        > Pluto
        >

        > Choo (Alpha Arae)
        >
        > Beta Arae
        >
        > Stingray Nebula (Henize 3-1357 Arae)
        >
        > Grumium (Xi Draconis)
        >
        > Lesath (Lambda Scorpii)
        >
        > Shaula (Upsilon Scorpii)
        >
        > Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)
        >

        > Ceres
        >

        > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
        >
        > *Rotanev (Beta Delphini)
        >
        > *Alnair (Alpha Gruis)
        >
        > *EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)

        preoccupation with the politics of terrorism and who might do a better
        job?

        > Pallas
        >

        > Ramo (95 Herculis; marks the obsolete constellation Ramo, the Branch,
        > which some pictorial maps show Hercules holding in his hand)
        >
        > Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis, a galaxy
        > even closer to the south celestial pole than Polaris
        > Australis)
        >
        > --->*Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

        nasty remarks made by Cheney about Iraq war opponents?

        > Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
        > constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatovski's Bull]
        > along with 68 and 69 Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
        >
        > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; M-8 and M-20 are
        > nicknamed the Lagoon Nebula and the Trifid Nebula,
        > respectively; M-21 is an open cluster)
        >
        > Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
        >
        > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Juno
        >

        > *Thuban (Alpha Draconis)

        wanting to protect/expand civil rights gains made (in the US)?

        > *SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable)

        anti-immigration demonstrations in Arizona?

        > *Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)
        >
        > (there is another galaxy nicknamed Spindle, NGC 5866 in Draco, which
        > we can call Spindle Galaxy of Draco)
        >
        > *Alula Borealis (Nu Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > *Alula Australis (Xi Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > *CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Vesta
        >

        > *Zosma (Delta Leonis)

        a general pessimism and attempts to exploit it (?)

        > *Leo II (UGC 6253 Leonis, a dwarf spheroidal galaxy which is one of
        > the nearest to our own)
        >
        > http://www.seds.org/~spider/spider/LG/leo2.html
        >
        > *Suhail (Lambda Velorum)
        >

        > Chiron
        >

        > *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
        >
        > Bos (Rho Capricorni)
        >
        > LU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)
        >

        > North Node
        >

        > *Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)
        >
        > Matar (Eta Pegasi)
        >
        > *Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi)
        >

        > South Node
        >

        > Cor Caroli (Alpha Canum Venaticorum)
        >
        > Copula (M-51 Canum Venaticorum; aka the Whirlpool
        > Galaxy)
        >
        > *T Leonis (cataclysmic variable)

        More on this later.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 2006

          > > All positions as of noon CDT.
          > >

          > > Jupiter
          > >

          > > Menkent (Theta Centauri)

          One's "angel" (or demon--like Karl Rove?)

          > > Alphecca (Alpha Coronae Borealis)
          > >
          > > Acrux (Alpha Crucis)

          having to do with religious issues?

          > > *Jewel Box Cluster (Kappa Crucis and other stars, NGC 4755)
          >
          > having to do with non-Christian beliefs (like Scientology [Tom
          > Cruise], or Islam) (?)
          >

          > > *GY Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)

          AMLO down in Mexico protesting the election results (maybe Joe
          Lieberman's refusal to bow out gracefully?)

          > > Saturn
          > >

          > > *NGC 2775 (Cancri; a galaxy; possibly malefic, according to this
          > > person named Byron Wahl who used to post on the Mercury Hour
          list)

          > > http://www.noao.edu/outreach/aop/observers/n2775.html

          struck with dire consequences? (who?)

          > > *Alterf (Lambda Leonis)
          > >
          > > (I must be using tighter orbs than some people.--MAH)
          >
          > Jill Carroll (who once "put her head in the lion's mouth", so to
          > speak, by going to Iraq) has been in the news some lately.
          >

          > > *RR Pictoris
          >

          > anything having to do with railroads lately?

          a crash?

          > > *CP Puppis (cataclysmic variables)

          a taste of something (fortune)?

          > > Uranus
          > >

          > > *Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri)
          > >

          > > Neptune
          > >

          > > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
          > >
          > > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
          > >
          > > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
          > >
          > > *EF Tucanae
          > >
          > > *QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
          > >

          > > Pluto
          > >

          > > Choo (Alpha Arae)
          > >
          > > Beta Arae
          > >
          > > Stingray Nebula (Henize 3-1357 Arae)
          > >
          > > Grumium (Xi Draconis)
          > >
          > > Lesath (Lambda Scorpii)
          > >
          > > Shaula (Upsilon Scorpii)
          > >
          > > Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)
          > >

          > > Ceres
          > >

          > > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
          > >
          > > *Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

          coming up for air?

          > > *Alnair (Alpha Gruis)

          emphasizing vigilance and safety?

          > > *EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)
          >

          > preoccupation with the politics of terrorism and who might do a
          better
          > job?
          >

          > > Pallas
          > >

          > > Ramo (95 Herculis; marks the obsolete constellation Ramo, the
          Branch,
          > > which some pictorial maps show Hercules holding in his hand)
          > >
          > > Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis, a galaxy
          > > even closer to the south celestial pole than Polaris
          > > Australis)
          > >
          > > --->*Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
          >
          > nasty remarks made by Cheney about Iraq war opponents?
          >

          > > Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
          > > constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatovski's Bull]
          > > along with 68 and 69 Ophiuchi)
          > >
          > > Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)

          barbs?

          > > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; M-8 and M-20 are
          > > nicknamed the Lagoon Nebula and the Trifid Nebula,
          > > respectively; M-21 is an open cluster)
          > >
          > > Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
          > >
          > > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
          > >

          > > Juno
          > >

          > > *Thuban (Alpha Draconis)
          >
          > wanting to protect/expand civil rights gains made (in the US)?
          >

          > > *SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable)
          >
          > anti-immigration demonstrations in Arizona?
          >

          > > --->*Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)
          > >
          > > (there is another galaxy nicknamed Spindle, NGC 5866 in Draco,
          which
          > > we can call Spindle Galaxy of Draco)

          "distaff" (traditional term for having to do with women); sextants
          help navigate--a recent study suggesting that children learn best
          from teachers of their own gender? the new HPV vaccine?

          > >---> *Alula Borealis (Nu Ursae Majoris)
          > >
          > >---> *Alula Australis (Xi Ursae Majoris)

          on the Great Bear's hind feet (which a bear would stand on when it
          rears up menacingly)

          (having the ability to back up a show of force?)

          (Iran?)

          > >---> *CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)

          ("we 'see you' on the course you're trying to sail on"--having to do
          with political strategy?

          > > Vesta
          > >

          > > *Zosma (Delta Leonis)
          >

          > a general pessimism and attempts to exploit it (?)
          >

          > > *Leo II (UGC 6253 Leonis, a dwarf spheroidal galaxy which is one
          of
          > > the nearest to our own)
          > >
          > > http://www.seds.org/~spider/spider/LG/leo2.html

          Let me try and find out where this and T Leonis are in the Leo
          figure...

          > > *Suhail (Lambda Velorum)

          wind in the sails?

          http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Alshuhail.html

          > > Chiron
          > >

          > > *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
          > >
          > > Bos (Rho Capricorni)
          > >
          > > LU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
          > >
          > > Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)
          > >

          > > North Node
          > >

          > > *Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)

          "the mark of the devil" (?) (shunning or refusing to support
          nonconformists?)

          > > Matar (Eta Pegasi)
          > >
          > > *Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi)

          finally catching a break (?) (the Democrats?)

          http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Sadalbari.html

          > > South Node
          > >

          > >--> Cor Caroli (Alpha Canum Venaticorum)

          the promise of a return from exile? (the Democrats?)

          http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/CorCaroli.html

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006

            > > --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "mahtezcatpoc"
            > > <mahtezcatpoc@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > All positions as of noon CDT.
            > > >

            > > > Saturn
            > > >

            > > > *NGC 2775 (Cancri; a galaxy; possibly malefic, according to this
            > > > person named Byron Wahl who used to post on the Mercury Hour
            > list)
            > > >
            > > > http://www.noao.edu/outreach/aop/observers/n2775.html

            on one of the Crab's left forelegs, near its left claw

            > struck with dire consequences? (who?)
            >

            > > > *RR Pictoris

            Near Alpha Pictoris at the top of Pictor the Easel.

            > > anything having to do with railroads lately?
            >

            > a crash?

            > > > --->*Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)
            > > >
            > > > (there is another galaxy nicknamed Spindle, NGC 5866 in Draco,
            > which
            > > > we can call Spindle Galaxy of Draco)

            between Gamma and Epsilon Sextantis, I think on one end of the arc
            scale of the Sextant (?) (I believe the zero as opposed to the
            120-degree end)

            http://www.ianridpath.com/startales/sextans.htm

            http://www.clipperlight.com/howusesextant.html

            > "distaff" (traditional term for having to do with women); sextants
            > help navigate--a recent study suggesting that children learn best
            > from teachers of their own gender?

            to be taken with a grain of salt, since other factors that may account
            for it have not been filtered out

            >the new HPV vaccine?

            Jonathan Turley was railing against what he called "microsegregation",
            a localized, scattered return of public-school segregation, by race as
            well as gender, in the US. I don't always agree with him, but this I
            agree on.

            > > > Vesta
            > > >

            > > > *Zosma (Delta Leonis)
            > >

            > > a general pessimism and attempts to exploit it (?)
            > >

            > > > *Leo II (UGC 6253 Leonis, a dwarf spheroidal galaxy which is one
            > of
            > > > the nearest to our own)
            > > >
            > > > http://www.seds.org/~spider/spider/LG/leo2.html
            >

            > Let me try and find out where this and T Leonis are in the Leo
            > figure...

            Leo II is northwest of Zosma on the Lion's back.

            > > > North Node
            > > >

            > > > *Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)
            >

            > "the mark of the devil" (?) (shunning or refusing to support
            > nonconformists?)

            This is about halfway between 6 Lacertae and Rho Cygni, I guess near
            one of the Lizard's (left) feet.

            > > > *T Leonis (cataclysmic variable)

            east of Tau Leonis, between it and Zavijava in Virgo (actually closer
            to 89 Leonis), on the Lion's left hind paw and above Virgo's left
            shoulder.

            A lion would use it to walk on, or if rampant (standing on its hind
            legs) would be using this foot to stand on...

            Mark A. Holmes
          • Gabriella Mittelman
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 17, 2006
              MArk, douze points !
              there was a railroad accident in Japan today.

              Gaby

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 17, 2006
                --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Gabriella Mittelman"
                <gabymitt@...> wrote:

                > MArk, douze points !
                > there was a railroad accident in Japan today.
                >
                > Gaby

                Yes, on Kyushu. A typhoon hitting the area might have had something to
                do with it.

                http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1104AP_Japan_Train_Derailment.html

                > > > --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "mahtezcatpoc"

                > > > anything having to do with railroads lately?
                > >

                > > a crash?

                I'm thinking the repercussions of the August 21 train wreck in Egypt also.

                http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/09/17/egypt.traincrash/

                (The Japanese railway didn't do enough to ensure the safety of the
                passengers on their train when the typhoon hit?)