Re: [thefixedstars] Aligned with rather than conjunct

  • Astro Logos
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
      Hi Mark..

      > "Conjunct by declination and right ascension" could
      > also be used to describe such events, I would think.
      >
      > Mark A. Holmes

      or celestrial latitude and ecliptical longitude or, if we are standing on
      the earth... azimuth and altitude, or depression. Or once we leave the
      ecliptic and use the points where the earth touches the sky then we have the
      term paran to join a star and a planet - or any two bodies in the heavens.

      But none of these terms create the problem that the term "conjunction" does
      hence the discussion about using the word "alignment" for this unique
      joining of star and planet when they are both projected - via the poles -
      onto the same degree (s) of the ecliptic.

      As Diana well knows I have never been one to be glued to the ecliptic, maybe
      it is growing up under the southern skies full of stars. I have always been
      offended by the use of the word conjunction, and it would seem that Diana
      has also been uncomfortable with this term and for Diana and I to agree on a
      star geometry point is a champagne night :))) - I should add we agree on
      most other things....

      bye for now

      Bernadette Brady

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
        --- Astro Logos <office@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mark..
        > >
        > > "Conjunct by declination and right ascension"
        > could
        > > also be used to describe such events, I would
        > think.
        > >
        > > Mark A. Holmes
        >
        > or celestrial latitude and ecliptical longitude or,
        > if we are standing on
        > the earth... azimuth and altitude, or depression.
        > Or once we leave the
        > ecliptic and use the points where the earth touches
        > the sky then we have the
        > term paran to join a star and a planet - or any two
        > bodies in the heavens.
        >
        > But none of these terms create the problem that the
        > term "conjunction" does
        > hence the discussion about using the word
        > "alignment" for this unique
        > joining of star and planet when they are both
        > projected - via the poles -
        > onto the same degree (s) of the ecliptic.

        All right.