Re: [thefixedstars] Aligned with rather than conjunct

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
      > --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > > Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 01:38:01 +0100
      > > > From: "Astro Logos" <office@...>
      > > >Subject: Re: Current fixed star conjunctions --
      > can
      > > we use the word alignment??
      > >
      > > Bernadette wrote:
      > >
      > > >Dear Group,
      > >
      > > >Since this is a fixed star group for astrologers
      > > would it not be good if we
      > > >all agreed that saying that a planet is "conjunct
      > > star" could be
      > > >considered a confusion of terms.
      > >
      > > Thank you, Bernadette - glad you brought this up!
      > >
      > > I definitely agree that "aligned with" is the
      > proper
      > > term to
      > > use for ecliptic degree projections - the term
      > > "conjunct"
      > > should refer only to genuine occultations or
      > > conjunctions

      Just make sure people know what "aligned with" means.

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Astro Logos
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
        Hi Mark..

        > "Conjunct by declination and right ascension" could
        > also be used to describe such events, I would think.
        >
        > Mark A. Holmes

        or celestrial latitude and ecliptical longitude or, if we are standing on
        the earth... azimuth and altitude, or depression. Or once we leave the
        ecliptic and use the points where the earth touches the sky then we have the
        term paran to join a star and a planet - or any two bodies in the heavens.

        But none of these terms create the problem that the term "conjunction" does
        hence the discussion about using the word "alignment" for this unique
        joining of star and planet when they are both projected - via the poles -
        onto the same degree (s) of the ecliptic.

        As Diana well knows I have never been one to be glued to the ecliptic, maybe
        it is growing up under the southern skies full of stars. I have always been
        offended by the use of the word conjunction, and it would seem that Diana
        has also been uncomfortable with this term and for Diana and I to agree on a
        star geometry point is a champagne night :))) - I should add we agree on
        most other things....

        bye for now

        Bernadette Brady

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
          --- Astro Logos <office@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mark..
          > >
          > > "Conjunct by declination and right ascension"
          > could
          > > also be used to describe such events, I would
          > think.
          > >
          > > Mark A. Holmes
          >
          > or celestrial latitude and ecliptical longitude or,
          > if we are standing on
          > the earth... azimuth and altitude, or depression.
          > Or once we leave the
          > ecliptic and use the points where the earth touches
          > the sky then we have the
          > term paran to join a star and a planet - or any two
          > bodies in the heavens.
          >
          > But none of these terms create the problem that the
          > term "conjunction" does
          > hence the discussion about using the word
          > "alignment" for this unique
          > joining of star and planet when they are both
          > projected - via the poles -
          > onto the same degree (s) of the ecliptic.

          All right.