Precession correction

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2006
      Precession correction

      Derek sent:

      1980 positions of Stars
          Posted by: "Derek Reveres" l_awake_l@... lreveres
          Date: Sat Aug 5, 2006 1:14 am (PDT)

      Hey all, was just wondering, I have a list of several stars with their
      positions as of 2000.  However, I was born in 1980 and want to see what
      stars might have been aligned with my planets at the time.  How much
      precession/correction do I subtract to find the old positions?
      ====================================

      Precession moves 0 deg 0 min 50.23 secs per year, and is added as
      time progresses (subtracted if you are going back in time)

      From Jan 1 1980 to Jan 1 2000 is 0 deg 16 min 44.6 secs.

      So add this amount to your natal positions, or subtract it from the
      stars' 2000 positions.

      (if you have a hand calculator that deals with degrees-minutes-seconds,
      you can refine it further to fit your exact birth date)

      Love Diana

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2006
        Thanks, Diana.

        Mark A. Holmes

        --- Diana K Rosenberg <fixed.stars@...> wrote:

        > Derek sent:
        >
        > 1980 positions of Stars
        > Posted by: "Derek Reveres" l_awake_l@...
        > lreveres
        > Date: Sat Aug 5, 2006 1:14 am (PDT)
        >
        > Hey all, was just wondering, I have a list of
        > several stars with their
        > positions as of 2000. However, I was born in 1980
        > and want to see what
        > stars might have been aligned with my planets at the
        > time. How much
        > precession/correction do I subtract to find the old
        > positions?
        > ====================================
        >
        > Precession moves 0 deg 0 min 50.23 secs per year,
        > and is added as
        > time progresses (subtracted if you are going back in
        > time)
        >
        > From Jan 1 1980 to Jan 1 2000 is 0 deg 16 min 44.6
        > secs.
        >
        > So add this amount to your natal positions, or
        > subtract it from the
        > stars' 2000 positions.
        >
        > (if you have a hand calculator that deals with
        > degrees-minutes-seconds,
        > you can refine it further to fit your exact birth
        > date)
        >
        > Love Diana

      • Derek Reveres
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2006