Re: Fixed star alignments (July 30, 2006)

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006

      > As of noon CDT
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > *Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

      Kind of between Gamma and Lambda Gruis (in the Crane's tail?)

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

      Close to 16 Cygni (the nearest star with a Bayer designation, Theta
      Cygni, is a little further south). On Cygnus' right wing near the tip.

      > Pallas

      > *Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)

      Just northwest of Kaus Australis (Epsilon Sagittarii).

      > Vesta
      >

      > *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris, in Leo Minor the Lion Cub)

      Between 30 and 46 Leonis Minoris.

      > *Puppis A

      Between Naos (Zeta Puppis) and Beta Pyxidis, near the Pyxis border (in
      the Ship Argo's rigging?)

      > Chiron
      >

      > *Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

      Just west of 13 Vulpeculae, I think either on the Fox's face or in the
      goose it's holding in its mouth.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006

        > > As of noon CDT
        > >

        > > Neptune
        > >

        > > *Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
        >
        > Kind of between Gamma and Lambda Gruis (in the Crane's tail?)
        >

        > > Ceres
        > >

        > > *Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
        >
        > Close to 16 Cygni (the nearest star with a Bayer designation, Theta
        > Cygni, is a little further south). On Cygnus' right wing near the tip.
        >

        > > Pallas
        >

        > > *Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)
        > >

        > Just northwest of Kaus Australis (Epsilon Sagittarii).

        On the lower part of the Archer's bow.

        > > Vesta
        > >

        > > *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris, in Leo Minor the Lion Cub)
        >
        > Between 30 and 46 Leonis Minoris.

        On the Lion Cub's belly.

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006

          > As of noon CDT.
          >

          > Saturn
          >

          > Acubens (Alpha Cancri)
          >
          >---> *Manzana Nebula (NeVe 3-3 Puppis)

          The Iraqi date-growing industry is slowly fighting its way back.

          > Kocab (Beta Ursae Minoris)

          suicide bombers (in Iraq?)

          > Ceres
          >

          > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
          >
          > *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
          >
          >--->*Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

          public warnings (about the heat?)

          > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
          >
          > *Phoenicopterus (Beta Gruis; on the back of Grus the Crane, which was
          > once known as Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

          Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' infant daughter has not been seen in
          public...

          > Pallas
          >

          > Polis (Mu Sagittarii)
          >
          > *Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis, the closest thing we have on Earth
          > to a South Star)

          dissent in Mexico regarding the presidential election there? (Polaris
          Australis = the right thing can be hard to see sometimes)

          > Emerald Nebula (aka the Turquoise Orb; NGC 6572
          > Ophiuchi)
          >
          >---> *Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)

          I think one of India's states has passed a law restricting the sale of
          junk food.

          > Juno
          >

          > *Ukdah (Tau-2 Hydrae; in Hydra the Sea-Monster's neck)

          means "the knot" (a monster kept on a leash?)

          > *Subra (Omicron Leonis)
          >
          > *Peanut Nebula (IRAS 21282-5050 Leonis)
          >
          > --->*Alpha Pictoris (in Pictor the Easel)
          >
          > --->*Malus (Gamma Pyxidis; in Pyxis the Compass; marking
          > the obsolete constellation Malus, the Mast of the Ship
          > Argo)

          depicted badly; hanged high? (Mel Gibson?)

          > Vesta
          >

          > *Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)
          >
          > *Cat's Prey (I Hydrae, underneath the right forepaw of the obsolete
          > constellation Felis the Cat)
          >
          > *Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)
          >
          > *Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)

          Mel Gibson's drunken-driving and bigotry problems?

          > *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris, in Leo Minor the Lion Cub)

          issues regarding computer data security on college campuses?

          > *Puppis A
          >
          > *Regor (Gamma Velorum)

          charting a particular course (in politics?)

          > Chiron
          >

          > Youe (Psi Capricorni)
          >
          > Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450 +2922 Cygni)

          There was something in the news recently about women working in
          Bangalore and other cities in India who have organized in an attempt
          to deal with sexual harassment which is a problem there.

          >Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus; in the part of
          > Nubecula Major lying in Dorado the Mahimahi; aka 30
          > Doradus)

          A town in Austria is having problems with spiders that deliver painful
          bites.

          > *Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

          having to do with Ireland or with good luck or superstition?

          > North Node
          >

          > Cocoon Nebula (IC 5146 Cygni)
          >
          > --->*Matar (Eta Pegasi)
          >
          > --->Stephan's Quintet (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
          > dominated by NGC 7317)

          trampling something or someone underfoot?

          > Deer Lick Group (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
          > dominated by NGC 7331)

          more wild animal problems?

          > South Node
          >

          > Sunflower Galaxy (M-63 Canum Venaticorum)

          seeking the sunlight?

          > The Mice (NGC 4676 Comae Berenices; a pair of
          > colliding galaxies)
          >
          >--->Labrum (Delta Crateris)

          Mel Gibson's drunk-driving and image problems?

          > Benetnash (aka Alkaid; Eta Ursae Majoris)
          >
          > Zavijava (Beta Virginis)

          The Israeli attack on Lebanon?

          > Ross 128 (Virginis; a nearby star)

          a bad angel sitting on a girl's shoulder (?) (Lindsay Lohan?)

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006
            As of noon CDT.

            Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
            week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).

            Jupiter

            QU Carinae (a cataclysmic variable)

            Omega Centauri (NGC 5139 Centauri, a very bright
            globular cluster)

            Rijl al Awwa (Mu Virginis)

            Saturn

            GY Cancri

            CT Hydrae

            *Al Minliar al Asad (Kappa Leonis)

            Manzana Nebula (NeVe 3-3 Puppis)

            *Dubhe (Alpha Ursae Majoris)

            *IY Ursae Majoris

            KS Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variables)

            Uranus

            Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Hu 1-2 Cygni)

            Neptune

            HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

            Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

            QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

            Pluto

            Choo (Alpha Arae)

            Beta Arae

            Grumium (Xi Draconis)

            Lesath (Lambda Scorpii)

            Shaula (Upsilon Scorpii)

            Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)

            Ceres

            *LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

            Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

            *Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

            *Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni, a diffuse nebula)

            *S Doradus (an extremely brilliant star in the part of
            Nubecula Major [the Large Magellanic Cloud] lying in
            Doradus the Mahimahi)

            TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

            Pallas

            Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)

            *Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis, a galaxy
            even closer to the south celestial pole than Polaris
            Australis)

            *Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
            constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatovski's Bull]
            along with 68 and 69 Ophiuchi)

            *Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)

            *Spiculum (M8, M20, M21 Sagittarii; M8 and M20 are
            nicknamed the Lagoon Nebula and the Trifid Nebula,
            respectively; M21 is an open cluster)

            (I have "repudiation" for the Lagoon Nebula and
            "attainment" for the Trifid Nebula)

            *Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

            Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)

            Juno

            *Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)

            *Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; below the head of Hydra the
            Sea-Monster near the border with Antlia, and
            underneath the forepaws of the obsolete constellation
            Felis the Cat)

            *Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)

            *Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)

            *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)

            *Puppis A (a supernova remnant and one of the sky's
            most intense deep-space X-ray sources)

            *Regor (Gamma Velorum)

            Vesta

            *Praecipua (46 Leonis Minoris)

            *Phecda (Gamma Ursae Majoris)

            *Megrez (Delta Ursae Majoris)

            *Papillon (IC 708 Ursae Majoris, a radio galaxy;
            "papillon" is French for butterfly)

            Chiron

            Youe (Psi Capricorni)

            Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450 +2922 Cygni)

            Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus; in the part of
            Nubecula Major lying in Dorado the Mahimahi; aka 30
            Doradus)

            (I have "to live through" for this one)

            LU Vulpeculae

            LV Vulpeculae

            Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

            North Node

            Cocoon Nebula (IC 5146 Cygni)

            Matar (Eta Pegasi)

            Stephan's Quintet (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
            dominated by NGC 7317)

            Deer Lick Group (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
            dominated by NGC 7331)

            ***Note: The alignment of the transiting North Node
            with the cataclysmic variable IP Pegasi hasn't existed
            for some time now. I had two sets of coordinates for
            it; one was wrong. It looks like I entered the wrong
            coordinates into my fixed star menu in SolarFire 5.
            The correct coordinates are

            http://www.britastro.org/vss/obj-23.html

            (2000) right ascension 23h23m09s, declination
            +18°24'59"

            That translates into 29 Pisces 15 at this time,
            according to SolarFire 5.

            My bad.

            South Node

            *Copula (M-51 Canum Venaticorum; aka the Whirlpool
            Galaxy)

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2006

              > *GY Cancri

              This is between Pi and Xi Cancri, west of the Beehive Cluster.

              > *CT Hydrae

              This is just west of Theta Hydrae in the Sea-Monster's head.

              > *VW Hydri

              Not far from the border with Mensa, about halfway between Gamma Hydri
              and Mu Mensae.

              IP Pegasi

              Just south of 65 Pegasi and about midway between Markab and Upsilon
              Pegasi in the southeast quadrant of the Great Square of Pegasus.

              > *TY Vulpeculae

              Just east of and quite close to 30 Vulpeculae, I think on the Fox's
              rear end.

              I'm going to try and not get this behind again.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9, 2006

                > > *GY Cancri

                "gee, why?"

                > This is between Pi and Xi Cancri, west of the Beehive Cluster.

                I think in the Crab's northern claw.

                Tom DeLay is still battling it out over whether he should stay on
                the ballot after getting turned down by Antonin Scalia (I actually
                found myself expecting Scalia to accommodate the Texas Republican
                Party and was *surprised* when he didn't. Sad.)

                > > *CT Hydrae
                >

                > This is just west of Theta Hydrae in the Sea-Monster's head.

                The lead-up to the Connecticut (CT) Democratic primary, in which
                Senator Joe Lieberman was rendered a lame duck. He plans to run this
                November as an independent.

                > > *VW Hydri
                >
                > Not far from the border with Mensa, about halfway between Gamma
                Hydri
                > and Mu Mensae.

                I think near the Water-Snake's tail.

                VW: Having to do with cars?

                Gas prices keep going up in the US...

                > IP Pegasi
                >
                > Just south of 65 Pegasi and about midway between Markab and Upsilon
                > Pegasi in the southeast quadrant of the Great Square of Pegasus.

                "peed" upon? (abused, flamed)

                > > *TY Vulpeculae
                >

                > Just east of and quite close to 30 Vulpeculae, I think on the Fox's
                > rear end.

                Trying to "tie" something? (Israel? Hezbollah? Iran?)
                Lieberman, "tied" to the Iraq War and George W. Bush like concrete
                boots?

                Also: Some people have been elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame
                (along with Ty Cobb?) And some were African-American.

                http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hof_weekend/2006/induction_story.ht

                Cobb, a notorious bigot, would have had a fit. (Ha, ha, Ty.)

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006

                  > As of noon CDT.
                  >

                  > Jupiter
                  >
                  > --->QU Carinae (a cataclysmic variable)
                  >
                  > Omega Centauri (NGC 5139 Centauri, a very bright
                  > globular cluster)
                  >
                  > --->Rijl al Awwa (Mu Virginis)

                  A big chunk of the small, remote town of Hooper Bay, Alaska (in Wade
                  Hampton Census Area on the Bering Sea), including the local school,
                  burned down in a fire which has been blamed on children playing with
                  matches.

                  Mount Mayon in the Philippines is threatening to erupt.

                  (QU Carinae) A terrorist plot out of Britain to blow airliners out of
                  the sky has apparently been foiled.

                  > Saturn
                  >
                  >GY Cancri
                  >
                  >CT Hydrae
                  >
                  >*Al Minliar al Asad (Kappa Leonis)
                  >
                  >Manzana Nebula (NeVe 3-3 Puppis)
                  >
                  > *Dubhe (Alpha Ursae Majoris)
                  >
                  > *IY Ursae Majoris
                  >
                  > KS Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variables)

                  Quite a bit of buzz has been generated by the fall of Joe Lieberman,
                  which is believed to have been due mainly to his falling out of touch
                  with his constituents in Connecticut (CT), on the Iraq War and other
                  issues, and taking their support for granted. (It must be noted that
                  other Democrats who've supported Bush on Iraq and some other issues
                  have not experienced the same difficulties.)

                  > Uranus
                  >
                  > Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Hu 1-2 Cygni)

                  stupid Alaskan kids playing with matches; also, a 2-year-old girl in
                  Arkansas (?) was accidentally run over by a front-end loader driven by
                  her father and a man in India has gotten international attention
                  showing off the driving skills of his 4-year-old son. (The closest
                  thing I've heard of to that before was a 7-year-old boy in Washington
                  State who several years ago tried to drive his mother's car to the
                  supermarket to restock the cupboard with his favorite cereal. He
                  couldn't see over the dashboard and work the pedals at the same time;
                  after running two red lights, he was pulled over by the police. I
                  don't know what cereal it was, but it was a General Mills brand: the
                  company gave him several months' supply.)

                  > Ceres
                  >
                  > *LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

                  (lazy?)

                  > -->Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
                  >
                  > -->*Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
                  >
                  > -->*Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni, a diffuse nebula)
                  >
                  > -->*S Doradus (an extremely brilliant star in the part of
                  > Nubecula Major [the Large Magellanic Cloud] lying in
                  > Doradus the Mahimahi)
                  >
                  > -->TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

                  the British terrorist plot?

                  > Pallas
                  >
                  > Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)
                  >
                  > *Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis, a galaxy
                  > even closer to the south celestial pole than Polaris
                  > Australis)
                  >
                  > *Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
                  > constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatovski's Bull]
                  > along with 68 and 69 Ophiuchi)
                  >
                  > *Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
                  >
                  > *Spiculum (M8, M20, M21 Sagittarii; M8 and M20 are
                  > nicknamed the Lagoon Nebula and the Trifid Nebula,
                  > respectively; M21 is an open cluster)
                  >
                  > (I have "repudiation" for the Lagoon Nebula and
                  > "attainment" for the Trifid Nebula)

                  Robson says Spiculum is "productive of blindness"(p.212).

                  The war between Israel and Lebanon?

                  The presidential elections in Mexico and the Congo Republic?

                  > *Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

                  Somebody at AOL exposing the details of people's online searches (?)
                  (the Internet = a spider web; red = inflamed, inflammatory).

                  > Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)

                  Chicago says au revoir to foie gras.

                  > Juno
                  >
                  > *Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)
                  >
                  > *Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; below the head of Hydra the
                  > Sea-Monster near the border with Antlia, and
                  > underneath the forepaws of the obsolete constellation
                  > Felis the Cat)
                  >
                  > *Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)
                  >
                  > *Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)
                  >
                  > *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)
                  >
                  > *Puppis A (a supernova remnant and one of the sky's
                  > most intense deep-space X-ray sources)
                  >
                  > *Regor (Gamma Velorum)
                  >

                  > Vesta
                  >
                  > *Praecipua (46 Leonis Minoris)
                  >
                  > *Phecda (Gamma Ursae Majoris)
                  >
                  > *Megrez (Delta Ursae Majoris)

                  at the base of the Great Bear's unnaturally elongated tail (the point
                  where the Big Dipper's handle joins the bowl). I've got several
                  possible delineations for it based on this, having to do with bears
                  and defecation ("shown where the bear **** in the buckwheat," "does a
                  bear **** in the woods?", "a load of ****")

                  The airplane plot? the bombing of Lebanon?

                  > *Papillon (IC 708 Ursae Majoris, a radio galaxy;
                  > "papillon" is French for butterfly)

                  I heard a rare species of butterfly thought to be extinct in Britain
                  has been found in England.

                  > North Node
                  >
                  > --->Cocoon Nebula (IC 5146 Cygni)
                  >
                  > --->Matar (Eta Pegasi)
                  >
                  > --->Stephan's Quintet (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
                  > dominated by NGC 7317)

                  martyred? (like St. Stephen; maybe martyred only in one's own mind)

                  >----> Deer Lick Group (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
                  > dominated by NGC 7331)

                  Deer hunters sometimes use corn to lure deer...

                  > South Node
                  >
                  > --->*Copula (M-51 Canum Venaticorum; aka the Whirlpool
                  > Galaxy)
                  >
                  > --->Sunflower Galaxy (M-63 Canum Venaticorum)

                  (turning toward the sun)

                  > The Mice (NGC 4676 Comae Berenices; a pair of
                  > colliding galaxies)
                  >
                  > Labrum (Delta Crateris)
                  >
                  > --->Benetnash (aka Alkaid; Eta Ursae Majoris)

                  ("Better to have died/With boughten friendship at one's side/Than none
                  at all./Provide, provide!"--Robert Frost [maybe misquoted])

                  >---> Zavijava (Beta Virginis)
                  >
                  > Ross 128 (Virginis, a nearby star)

                  Fidel Castro's health problems have got Cubans in Miami ecstatic and
                  opening up about how they're going to get involved in Cuba. (A bit
                  premature; I really don't know how far they're going to get, even if
                  the Cuban socialist system were to collapse once Fidel is gone, and
                  I'm not sure that's going to happen.)

                  Ross 128: Tori Spelling's feud with her mother? (the star is on
                  Virgo's left shoulder)

                  Labrum: Spelling's "Beverly Hills 90210" classmate Shannen Doherty,
                  who has kind of a "bad girl" rep, has another TV show ("Breaking Up
                  With Shannen Doherty") on cable.