Re: Fixed star alignments (July 23, 2006)

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 5, 2006

      > As of noon CDT.
      >

      > Saturn
      >

      > *AK Carinae (cataclysmic variable)

      This is AK Cancri, *not* Carinae. It's in Cancer. Near Acubens.

      > Pallas

      > *Emerald Nebula (aka the Turquoise Orb; NGC 6572
      > Ophiuchi)

      Kind of northeast of Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi) and southwest of 71
      Ophiuchi, near the border with Serpens Cauda.

      > Juno
      >

      > *Owl Nebula (M-97 Ursae Majoris)

      Between Merak (Beta Ursae Majoris) and Phekda (Gamma Ursae Majoris)
      toward the back side of the Great Bear's belly (I think around where
      her teats would be: this bear, who was once a woman named Callisto,
      would be a sow--a female bear; Ursa Minor used to be Callisto's son
      Arcas, so that bear would be male)

      > Vesta

      > *Peanut Nebula (NGC 2371/2372 Leonis)

      This is actually IRAS 21282-5050 Leonis; I don't think it has an NGC
      number. It's close to Psi Leonis, kind of to the southwest of it and
      east of Regulus.

      > South Node
      >

      > *Sunflower Galaxy (M-63 Canum Venaticorum)

      Just north of 19 Canum Venaticorum and northeast of Cor Caroli (Alpha
      Canum Venaticorum).

      > *The Mice (NGC 4676 Comae Berenices; a pair of
      > colliding galaxies)

      near the Canes Venatici border west of 37 Comae Berenices.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2006

        > > As of noon CDT.
        > >

        > > Saturn
        > >

        > > *AK Carinae (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > This is AK Cancri, *not* Carinae. It's in Cancer. Near Acubens.

        On the Crab's southern claw.

        > > Pallas
        >

        > > *Emerald Nebula (aka the Turquoise Orb; NGC 6572
        > > Ophiuchi)
        > >

        > Kind of northeast of Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi) and southwest of 71
        > Ophiuchi, near the border with Serpens Cauda.

        Beside Ophiuchus' right shoulder.

        > > Juno
        > >

        > > *Owl Nebula (M-97 Ursae Majoris)
        > >

        > Between Merak (Beta Ursae Majoris) and Phekda (Gamma Ursae Majoris)
        > toward the back side of the Great Bear's belly (I think around where
        > her teats would be: this bear, who was once a woman named Callisto,
        > would be a sow--a female bear; Ursa Minor used to be Callisto's son
        > Arcas, so that bear would be male)
        >

        > > Vesta
        >

        > > *Peanut Nebula (NGC 2371/2372 Leonis)
        >
        > This is actually IRAS 21282-5050 Leonis; I don't think it has an NGC
        > number. It's close to Psi Leonis, kind of to the southwest of it and
        > east of Regulus.

        I think on the Lion's left foreleg.

        > > South Node
        > >

        > > *Sunflower Galaxy (M-63 Canum Venaticorum)
        >
        > Just north of 19 Canum Venaticorum and northeast of Cor Caroli (Alpha
        > Canum Venaticorum).

        Above the Hunting Dog Chara's head.

        > > *The Mice (NGC 4676 Comae Berenices; a pair of
        > > colliding galaxies)
        >
        > near the Canes Venatici border west of 37 Comae Berenices.

        Above the Hair of Bernice and not far from the Hunting Dog Chara's
        hind feet.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2006

          )

          > *Rijl al Awwa (Mu Virginis)

          Grass, brush and forest fires and danger of fires?

          > Saturn
          >

          > *AK Carinae (cataclysmic variable)

          AK Cancri, that is. Having to do with Alaska?

          > *Acubens (Alpha Cancri)
          >
          > *Kocab (Beta Ursae Minoris)

          Al-Zarqawi's death hasn't changed all that much--in fact, the violence
          in Iraq has gotten worse--and now Israel has attacked Lebanon over the
          kidnapping of Israeli soldiers also.

          > Pluto
          >

          > Choo (Alpha Arae)
          >
          > Beta Arae
          >
          > Grumium (Xi Draconis)
          >
          > Alpha Mensae
          >
          > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)

          Trying to keep one's sheep in line? (Bush's people trying to pull his
          political fortunes out of the fire.)

          > Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)
          >
          > Lesath (Upsilon Scorpii)
          >
          > Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)

          Being "nuts" or having the "balls" to attack? (This object is located
          in the Scorpion's stinger.)

          > Ceres
          >

          >--->*Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
          >
          > Bunda (Xi Aquarii)
          >
          >--->*Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)

          Andrea Yates found not guilty by reason of insanity

          > *Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei; in Equuleus the Foal)

          Maybe JK Rowling will decide to kill off Harry Potter?

          > Pallas
          >

          >--->*Kaus Medius (Delta Sagittarii)
          >
          >--->Kaus Australis (Epsilon Sagittarii)
          >
          >--->*Polis (Mu Sagittarii)
          >
          >--->*Omega Nebula (M-17 Sagittarii)
          >
          >--->*Little Star Cloud (M-24 Sagittarii)

          (in front of the Archer's face?)

          The Democrats are "taking aim" at regaining control of Congress. I
          think the Tour de France was going on at this time, too.

          > *Eagle Nebula (M-16 Serpentis [in Serpens Cauda]; also
          > known as the Star Queen Nebula)

          The ACLU helping the infamous Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka
          challenge Missouri's law against protesting at funerals. (Contrary to
          what some believe, the ACLU's positions and clients are not always
          liberal. Here is one example of that.)

          > Alpha Telescopii (in Telescopium the Telescope)

          Leading up to the Kansas primary election in which a number of
          anti-evolution members of the state board of education were rendered
          lame ducks by candidates favoring correct teaching of evolution theory
          in science classes. I'm sure a lot of people in Kansas are embarrassed
          by this mess.

          > Juno
          >

          > *Tania Australis (Mu Ursae Majoris)

          tracking something through or in the forest (figuratively?)

          > Vesta

          > *Alpha Pictoris (in Pictor the Easel)

          a dedication to being accurately depicted?

          > *Malus (Gamma Pyxidis; in Pyxis the Compass; marking
          > the obsolete constellation Malus, the Mast of the Ship
          > Argo)

          getting to the bottom of that cruise ship accident in which the ship
          abruptly tipped over?