Re: [thefixedstars] 1980 positions of Stars

    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 5 3:00 AM
      --- Derek Reveres <l_awake_l@...> wrote:

      > Hey all, was just wondering, I have a list of
      > several stars with their
      > positions as of 2000. However, I was born in 1980
      > and want to see what
      > stars might have been aligned with my planets at the
      > time. How much
      > precession/correction do I subtract to find the old
      > positions?

      I think chart-calculating programs like SolarFire will
      calculate fixed-star positions for a given year
      automatically. So you could maybe set up a chart for
      midnight on January 1, 2000 (your choice of locations)
      and look up the position of, say, Antares and you'd
      have Antares' position for epoch 2000.0. Then you
      could use the edit feature (in SolarFire, that's
      Chart, Edit Chart) to change the chart to midnight on
      January 1, 1980 to find the Antares position for epoch
      1980.0, and subtract that from the epoch 2000.0
      position and you'd have the difference.