RE: [thefixedstars] Re: 1980 positions of Stars

  • Derek Reveres
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 5, 2006
      Looks like on average I have about 15-20 minutes for each... so not much of
      a difference
      Thanks!!

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 5, 2006
        --- Derek Reveres <l_awake_l@...> wrote:

        > Hey all, was just wondering, I have a list of
        > several stars with their
        > positions as of 2000. However, I was born in 1980
        > and want to see what
        > stars might have been aligned with my planets at the
        > time. How much
        > precession/correction do I subtract to find the old
        > positions?

        I think chart-calculating programs like SolarFire will
        calculate fixed-star positions for a given year
        automatically. So you could maybe set up a chart for
        midnight on January 1, 2000 (your choice of locations)
        and look up the position of, say, Antares and you'd
        have Antares' position for epoch 2000.0. Then you
        could use the edit feature (in SolarFire, that's
        Chart, Edit Chart) to change the chart to midnight on
        January 1, 1980 to find the Antares position for epoch
        1980.0, and subtract that from the epoch 2000.0
        position and you'd have the difference.