Reply to Diana: Beta Ophiuchi, etc., and Alpha Lupi

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
      comments near the bottom
      --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
      wrote:
      > Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:50:01 -0000
      > From: "mahtezcatpoc" <mahtezcatpoc@...>
      > Subject: Current fixed star conjunctions
      >
      > Mark wrote:
      >
      > >Pluto conjunct Alpha Mensae, Kelb Alrai (Beta
      > Ophiuchi), Grumium (Xi
      > >Draconis) and Beta Arae
      > >(we were talking about Ara a while ago, there's a
      > connection with
      > >church matters there; also about Ophiuchus, the
      > Snake Handler [= like
      > >trying to pry a constrictor off somebody (?)]. Kelb
      > Alrai has been
      > >said to mean "the shepherd's dog." [Michael
      > Jackson's aides?]
      > >Grumium marks the underside of Draco's jaw [where a
      > man's beard would
      > >be]. Beards = getting old, maturity; pulling one's
      > beard = a brazen
      > >insult.
      >
      > There's some confusion about the name to be used for
      > Beta
      > Ophiuchi: see Allen, p 301:
      >
      > "Cebalrai, Celbalrai and Cheleb are from Kalb al
      > Ra'i, "The
      > Heart of the Shepherd" which Brown gives as the
      > meaning of
      > his Celabrai is erroneous, doubtless from the
      > confusion of
      > the Arabic Kalb, Heart (accent mark under the K) and
      > Kalb,
      > Dog."
      >
      > Kunitzsch (expert on Arab star names) has, under
      > Cebalrai,
      > Beta Ophiuchi:
      >
      > "Applied in recent times from its indigenous Arab
      > name kalb
      > al-ra'i "the Shepherd's Dog (in other traditions
      > alpha
      > Herculis and 28/29 Cephei are given the same name).
      > This
      > dog, together with the shepherd (marked by alpha
      > Ophiuchi)
      > and the two lines of stars enclosing the Pasture
      > (see Beta
      > CrB) and all the dim stellar sheep in that portion
      > of the
      > sky (al-ghanam or al-aghnam for the sheep), seem to
      > form a
      > complete group of indigenous Arab figures (Compare
      > to a
      > different group discussed under gamma Cephei)
      >
      > Staal used Cheleb for Beta Ophiuchi and Al Kalb al
      > Rai (the
      > Shepherd's Dog for rho Cephei; he tended to follow
      > Allen.
      >
      > The web site of the Jordanian Astronomical Society
      > (worth
      > checking out - http://www.jas.org.jo ) has, for Beta
      > Ophiuchi, Celbalrai from Kalb ar-Ra'i, the
      > Shepherd's dog
      >
      > These name-confusions drive me nuts! A lot of the
      > problem
      > comes from the loss of much of the rich indigenous
      > Arab
      > traditions,

      Lost how?

      which were pertinent to the actual
      > energies of
      > each star.

      Well, if Beta Ophiuchi turns out to live up to the
      name "the shepherd's dog," then I guess we can go with
      Kalb Alrai, since that name has been applied to the
      star.

      I guess we should look at Rho Cephei, too. Is there
      any other name attached to it?

      > >Ceres conjunct Arrakis (Mu Draconis) and Men (Alpha
      > Lupi)
      > >(Lupus = like some say wolves are supposed to be,
      > wanting to grab
      > >something any way they can[?].
      >
      > Lupus was not originally a wolf - he was an
      > indeterminate
      > animal - "bestia" - who was also "hostia" and
      > "victima" - he
      > is dangling from Centaurus' spear and being carried
      > to the
      > fires of Ara; therefore not a ravening creature but
      > rather a
      > victim.

      Human beings have turned out to be a lot more
      predatory toward wolves than the other way around.

      Here you have nurturance (Ceres) manifesting in a
      perhaps sincere (in some cases) but nonetheless
      transgressive and politicized way: people, including
      children, attempted to bring Terri Schiavo water,
      perhaps knowing full well that they would be arrested
      in front of the TV cameras, or sent by people who knew
      this would happen. The involvement of Florida Governor
      Jeb Bush, his brother the president, and Congress was
      seen by many as meddling in a private matter. There
      were other patients in the hospice, and they and their
      families and the employees of the hospice had to cope
      with this mob outside.

      Someone in North Carolina was arrested for putting out
      a contract on the lives of Michael Schiavo and George
      Greer, the Florida state judge who had the Schiavo
      case.

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2005

        > comments near the bottom
        > --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
        > wrote:

        > > These name-confusions drive me nuts! A lot of the
        > > problem
        > > comes from the loss of much of the rich indigenous
        > > Arab
        > > traditions,
        >
        > Lost how?

        Never mind.

        > Well, if Beta Ophiuchi turns out to live up to the
        > name "the shepherd's dog," then I guess we can go
        > with
        > Kalb Alrai, since that name has been applied to the
        > star.
        >
        > I guess we should look at Rho Cephei, too. Is there
        > any other name attached to it?

        Apparently not. I've done some looking.

        http://www.alcyone.de/SIT/bsc/HR8578.html

        Rho-1 Cephei:

        RA: 22h 26min 42.5sec DEC: +78� 47' 9''

        Longitude (2000): 0 Gemini 52

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2005
          I've added Alcyone Software's Star Information Tool to
          the Links section. It gives fairly comprehensive
          astronomical star data in the form of star catalog
          entries.

          http://www.alcyone.de/SIT/

          I've found this site useful in the past.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24, 2007
            I just added this page to the Links section:

            http://www.ssoastro.org/STAR_List.htm

            It's about Philip S. Harrington's STAR (Small Telescope Asterism
            Roster) list, a list of interesting asterisms (star patterns). I've
            alluded to it before (for instance, one of them, STAR 26, is the
            Red-Necked Emu, a little arrangement of stars in Cygnus that looks
            like an emu or ostrich with a red neck).