Re: [thefixedstars] Aligned with rather than conjunct

  • Astro Logos
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
      >Hi Diana,

      Wonderful... :)

      >>Since this is a fixed star group for astrologers would it not be good if
      >>we
      >>all agreed that saying that a planet is "conjunct a star" could be
      >>considered a confusion of terms.
      >
      > Thank you, Bernadette - glad you brought this up!

      ...... more by Bernadette...

      ......Indeed why not grab the bull by the horns (all puns intended) and let
      this
      >very cyber-space fixed star community of astrologers start a new idea right
      >here and now and adopt the word "alignment" rather then "conjunction" for
      >stars linked to planets via the idea of a projection onto the ecliptic.

      > I definitely agree that "aligned with" is the proper term to
      > use for ecliptic degree projections - the term "conjunct"
      > should refer only to genuine occultations or conjunctions
      > (say 1 degree orb, perhaps a bit wider allowed for Sun,
      > Moon, Nodes, Angles, but I would not like it to go past 1.5
      > to 2 degrees) - do you agree?

      Yes. I think that you should hold the opinion on the orbs to be used for
      alignments as you are the one that does the main work in this area and I
      will only have opinions on orbs for parans :) ..

      So, filled with Sagittarian enthusiasm I will tomorrow post this on the
      Starlight User Forum as well as Astro Logos Student Forum and include an
      special note in the next issue of the Visual Astrology Newsletter - which
      goes out to nearly 3,000 astrologers (planned to be sent out this weekend)
      which will basically suggest:

      a) that the term "alignment" be used for when a planet and a star share a
      projected degree on the ecliptic,
      b) that the term parans for used for parans,
      c) and the term conjunction used for between planets (and or asteroids or
      centaurs etc ). Your suggestion that the term "conjunct" be used only when a
      planet actually blots out a star from view is OK - but there is already a
      term for this type of event which is of course occultation as we are never
      going to get a star blotting out a planet then we do not have to deal with
      the astronomical use of the term transit verse its astrological use.

      And Diana if you have any groups etc etc, then maybe you could put the word
      out to them. Indeed anyone else who is part of this group should also
      spread the word. I think this collective decision between those astrologers
      that work with projected degrees on the ecliptic and those that work in
      parans and visual astrology is a wonderful step.

      I know that the rest of the group has not yet responded but I am sure that
      if anyone does not like the term "alignment" for a star planet combination
      on the ecliptic then they will soon say.

      Bye for now

      Bernadette Brady
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
        --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
        wrote:

        > > Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 01:38:01 +0100
        > > From: "Astro Logos" <office@...>
        > >Subject: Re: Current fixed star conjunctions -- can
        > we use the word alignment??
        >
        > Bernadette wrote:
        >
        > >Dear Group,
        >
        > >Since this is a fixed star group for astrologers
        > would it not be good if we
        > >all agreed that saying that a planet is "conjunct a
        > star" could be
        > >considered a confusion of terms.
        >
        > Thank you, Bernadette - glad you brought this up!
        >
        > I definitely agree that "aligned with" is the proper
        > term to
        > use for ecliptic degree projections - the term
        > "conjunct"
        > should refer only to genuine occultations or
        > conjunctions

        "Conjunct by declination and right ascension" could
        also be used to describe such events, I would think.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
          > --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > > Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 01:38:01 +0100
          > > > From: "Astro Logos" <office@...>
          > > >Subject: Re: Current fixed star conjunctions --
          > can
          > > we use the word alignment??
          > >
          > > Bernadette wrote:
          > >
          > > >Dear Group,
          > >
          > > >Since this is a fixed star group for astrologers
          > > would it not be good if we
          > > >all agreed that saying that a planet is "conjunct
          > > star" could be
          > > >considered a confusion of terms.
          > >
          > > Thank you, Bernadette - glad you brought this up!
          > >
          > > I definitely agree that "aligned with" is the
          > proper
          > > term to
          > > use for ecliptic degree projections - the term
          > > "conjunct"
          > > should refer only to genuine occultations or
          > > conjunctions

          Just make sure people know what "aligned with" means.

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Astro Logos
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
            Hi Mark..

            > "Conjunct by declination and right ascension" could
            > also be used to describe such events, I would think.
            >
            > Mark A. Holmes

            or celestrial latitude and ecliptical longitude or, if we are standing on
            the earth... azimuth and altitude, or depression. Or once we leave the
            ecliptic and use the points where the earth touches the sky then we have the
            term paran to join a star and a planet - or any two bodies in the heavens.

            But none of these terms create the problem that the term "conjunction" does
            hence the discussion about using the word "alignment" for this unique
            joining of star and planet when they are both projected - via the poles -
            onto the same degree (s) of the ecliptic.

            As Diana well knows I have never been one to be glued to the ecliptic, maybe
            it is growing up under the southern skies full of stars. I have always been
            offended by the use of the word conjunction, and it would seem that Diana
            has also been uncomfortable with this term and for Diana and I to agree on a
            star geometry point is a champagne night :))) - I should add we agree on
            most other things....

            bye for now

            Bernadette Brady

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
              --- Astro Logos <office@...> wrote:

              > Hi Mark..
              > >
              > > "Conjunct by declination and right ascension"
              > could
              > > also be used to describe such events, I would
              > think.
              > >
              > > Mark A. Holmes
              >
              > or celestrial latitude and ecliptical longitude or,
              > if we are standing on
              > the earth... azimuth and altitude, or depression.
              > Or once we leave the
              > ecliptic and use the points where the earth touches
              > the sky then we have the
              > term paran to join a star and a planet - or any two
              > bodies in the heavens.
              >
              > But none of these terms create the problem that the
              > term "conjunction" does
              > hence the discussion about using the word
              > "alignment" for this unique
              > joining of star and planet when they are both
              > projected - via the poles -
              > onto the same degree (s) of the ecliptic.

              All right.