Fixed star alignments (July 30, 2006)

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 30, 2006
      As of noon CDT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments not there this time a week ago (with a 1
      00' orb).

      Jupiter

      Omega Centauri (NGC 5139 Centauri, a very bright
      globular cluster)

      Nusakan (Beta Coronae Borealis)

      Rijl al Awwa (Mu Virginis)

      Saturn

      Acubens (Alpha Cancri)

      *Manzana Nebula (NeVe 3-3 Puppis)

      Kocab (Beta Ursae Minoris)

      Uranus

      Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Hu 1-2 Cygni)

      The Horseshoe (a star pattern near 63 Cygni, in Cygnus
      north of Deneb)

      Jih (Kappa Pegasi)

      Neptune

      The Red Necked Emu (29 Cygni and other stars in
      Cygnus's body said to
      describe the outline of an emu)

      *Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

      Pluto

      Choo (Alpha Arae)

      Beta Arae

      Grumium (Xi Draconis)

      Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)

      Lesath (Upsilon Scorpii)

      Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)

      Ceres

      Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)

      *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

      *Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

      Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)

      *Phoenicopterus (Beta Gruis; on the back of Grus the Crane, which was
      once known as Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

      Pallas

      Polis (Mu Sagittarii)

      *Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis, the closest thing we have on Earth
      to a South Star)

      Emerald Nebula (aka the Turquoise Orb; NGC 6572
      Ophiuchi)

      *Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)

      Juno

      *Ukdah (Tau-2 Hydrae; in Hydra the Sea-Monster's neck)

      *Subra (Omicron Leonis)

      *Peanut Nebula (IRAS 21282-5050 Leonis)

      *Alpha Pictoris (in Pictor the Easel)

      *Malus (Gamma Pyxidis; in Pyxis the Compass; marking
      the obsolete constellation Malus, the Mast of the Ship
      Argo)

      Vesta

      *Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)

      *Cat's Prey (I Hydrae, underneath the right forepaw of the obsolete
      constellation Felis the Cat)

      *Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)

      *Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)

      *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris, in Leo Minor the Lion Cub)

      *Puppis A

      *Regor (Gamma Velorum)

      Chiron

      Youe (Psi Capricorni)

      Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450 +2922 Cygni)

      Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus; in the part of
      Nubecula Major lying in Dorado the Mahimahi; aka 30
      Doradus)

      *Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

      North Node

      Cocoon Nebula (IC 5146 Cygni)

      *Matar (Eta Pegasi)

      Stephan's Quintet (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
      dominated by NGC 7317)

      Deer Lick Group (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
      dominated by NGC 7331)

      South Node

      Sunflower Galaxy (M-63 Canum Venaticorum)

      The Mice (NGC 4676 Comae Berenices; a pair of
      colliding galaxies)

      Labrum (Delta Crateris)

      Benetnash (aka Alkaid; Eta Ursae Majoris)

      Zavijava (Beta Virginis)

      Ross 128 (Virginis; a nearby star)

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30, 2006
        Left them out earlier, sorry.

        > As of noon CDT.
        >
        > Asterisks indicate alignments not there this time a week ago (with a 1
        > 00' orb).
        >

        > Jupiter

        QU Carinae

        > Omega Centauri (NGC 5139 Centauri, a very bright
        > globular cluster)
        >
        > Nusakan (Beta Coronae Borealis)
        >
        > Rijl al Awwa (Mu Virginis)
        >

        > Saturn
        >

        > Acubens (Alpha Cancri)

        *AK Cancri

        *GY Cancri

        *CT Hydrae

        > *Manzana Nebula (NeVe 3-3 Puppis)

        *KS Ursae Majoris

        > Kocab (Beta Ursae Minoris)
        >

        > Uranus
        >

        > Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Hu 1-2 Cygni)
        >
        > The Horseshoe (a star pattern near 63 Cygni, in Cygnus
        > north of Deneb)
        >
        > Jih (Kappa Pegasi)
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > The Red Necked Emu (29 Cygni and other stars in
        > Cygnus's body said to
        > describe the outline of an emu)

        HR Delphini

        > *Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

        QU Vulpeculae

        > Pluto
        >

        > Choo (Alpha Arae)
        >
        > Beta Arae
        >
        > Grumium (Xi Draconis)
        >
        > Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)
        >
        > Lesath (Upsilon Scorpii)
        >
        > Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)
        >

        > Ceres
        >

        > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
        >
        > *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
        >
        > *Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
        >
        > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
        >
        > *Phoenicopterus (Beta Gruis; on the back of Grus the Crane, which was
        > once known as Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

        *VW Hydri

        *TY Vulpeculae

        > Pallas
        >

        > Polis (Mu Sagittarii)
        >
        > *Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis, the closest thing we have on Earth
        > to a South Star)
        >
        > Emerald Nebula (aka the Turquoise Orb; NGC 6572
        > Ophiuchi)
        >
        > *Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)
        >

        > Juno
        >

        > *Ukdah (Tau-2 Hydrae; in Hydra the Sea-Monster's neck)
        >
        > *Subra (Omicron Leonis)
        >
        > *Peanut Nebula (IRAS 21282-5050 Leonis)
        >
        > *Alpha Pictoris (in Pictor the Easel)
        >
        > *Malus (Gamma Pyxidis; in Pyxis the Compass; marking
        > the obsolete constellation Malus, the Mast of the Ship
        > Argo)
        >

        > Vesta
        >

        > *Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)
        >
        > *Cat's Prey (I Hydrae, underneath the right forepaw of the obsolete
        > constellation Felis the Cat)
        >
        > *Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)
        >
        > *Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)
        >
        > *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris, in Leo Minor the Lion Cub)
        >
        > *Puppis A
        >
        > *Regor (Gamma Velorum)
        >

        > Chiron
        >

        > Youe (Psi Capricorni)
        >
        > Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450 +2922 Cygni)
        >
        > Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus; in the part of
        > Nubecula Major lying in Dorado the Mahimahi; aka 30
        > Doradus)

        *LU Vulpeculae

        *LV Vulpeculae

        > *Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)
        >

        > North Node
        >

        > Cocoon Nebula (IC 5146 Cygni)
        >
        > *Matar (Eta Pegasi)

        *IP Pegasi

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006

          > As of noon CDT
          >

          > Neptune
          >

          > *Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

          Kind of between Gamma and Lambda Gruis (in the Crane's tail?)

          > Ceres
          >

          > *Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

          Close to 16 Cygni (the nearest star with a Bayer designation, Theta
          Cygni, is a little further south). On Cygnus' right wing near the tip.

          > Pallas

          > *Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)

          Just northwest of Kaus Australis (Epsilon Sagittarii).

          > Vesta
          >

          > *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris, in Leo Minor the Lion Cub)

          Between 30 and 46 Leonis Minoris.

          > *Puppis A

          Between Naos (Zeta Puppis) and Beta Pyxidis, near the Pyxis border (in
          the Ship Argo's rigging?)

          > Chiron
          >

          > *Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

          Just west of 13 Vulpeculae, I think either on the Fox's face or in the
          goose it's holding in its mouth.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006

            > > As of noon CDT
            > >

            > > Neptune
            > >

            > > *Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
            >
            > Kind of between Gamma and Lambda Gruis (in the Crane's tail?)
            >

            > > Ceres
            > >

            > > *Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
            >
            > Close to 16 Cygni (the nearest star with a Bayer designation, Theta
            > Cygni, is a little further south). On Cygnus' right wing near the tip.
            >

            > > Pallas
            >

            > > *Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)
            > >

            > Just northwest of Kaus Australis (Epsilon Sagittarii).

            On the lower part of the Archer's bow.

            > > Vesta
            > >

            > > *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris, in Leo Minor the Lion Cub)
            >
            > Between 30 and 46 Leonis Minoris.

            On the Lion Cub's belly.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006

              > As of noon CDT.
              >

              > Saturn
              >

              > Acubens (Alpha Cancri)
              >
              >---> *Manzana Nebula (NeVe 3-3 Puppis)

              The Iraqi date-growing industry is slowly fighting its way back.

              > Kocab (Beta Ursae Minoris)

              suicide bombers (in Iraq?)

              > Ceres
              >

              > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
              >
              > *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
              >
              >--->*Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

              public warnings (about the heat?)

              > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
              >
              > *Phoenicopterus (Beta Gruis; on the back of Grus the Crane, which was
              > once known as Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

              Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' infant daughter has not been seen in
              public...

              > Pallas
              >

              > Polis (Mu Sagittarii)
              >
              > *Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis, the closest thing we have on Earth
              > to a South Star)

              dissent in Mexico regarding the presidential election there? (Polaris
              Australis = the right thing can be hard to see sometimes)

              > Emerald Nebula (aka the Turquoise Orb; NGC 6572
              > Ophiuchi)
              >
              >---> *Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)

              I think one of India's states has passed a law restricting the sale of
              junk food.

              > Juno
              >

              > *Ukdah (Tau-2 Hydrae; in Hydra the Sea-Monster's neck)

              means "the knot" (a monster kept on a leash?)

              > *Subra (Omicron Leonis)
              >
              > *Peanut Nebula (IRAS 21282-5050 Leonis)
              >
              > --->*Alpha Pictoris (in Pictor the Easel)
              >
              > --->*Malus (Gamma Pyxidis; in Pyxis the Compass; marking
              > the obsolete constellation Malus, the Mast of the Ship
              > Argo)

              depicted badly; hanged high? (Mel Gibson?)

              > Vesta
              >

              > *Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)
              >
              > *Cat's Prey (I Hydrae, underneath the right forepaw of the obsolete
              > constellation Felis the Cat)
              >
              > *Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)
              >
              > *Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)

              Mel Gibson's drunken-driving and bigotry problems?

              > *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris, in Leo Minor the Lion Cub)

              issues regarding computer data security on college campuses?

              > *Puppis A
              >
              > *Regor (Gamma Velorum)

              charting a particular course (in politics?)

              > Chiron
              >

              > Youe (Psi Capricorni)
              >
              > Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450 +2922 Cygni)

              There was something in the news recently about women working in
              Bangalore and other cities in India who have organized in an attempt
              to deal with sexual harassment which is a problem there.

              >Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus; in the part of
              > Nubecula Major lying in Dorado the Mahimahi; aka 30
              > Doradus)

              A town in Austria is having problems with spiders that deliver painful
              bites.

              > *Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

              having to do with Ireland or with good luck or superstition?

              > North Node
              >

              > Cocoon Nebula (IC 5146 Cygni)
              >
              > --->*Matar (Eta Pegasi)
              >
              > --->Stephan's Quintet (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
              > dominated by NGC 7317)

              trampling something or someone underfoot?

              > Deer Lick Group (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
              > dominated by NGC 7331)

              more wild animal problems?

              > South Node
              >

              > Sunflower Galaxy (M-63 Canum Venaticorum)

              seeking the sunlight?

              > The Mice (NGC 4676 Comae Berenices; a pair of
              > colliding galaxies)
              >
              >--->Labrum (Delta Crateris)

              Mel Gibson's drunk-driving and image problems?

              > Benetnash (aka Alkaid; Eta Ursae Majoris)
              >
              > Zavijava (Beta Virginis)

              The Israeli attack on Lebanon?

              > Ross 128 (Virginis; a nearby star)

              a bad angel sitting on a girl's shoulder (?) (Lindsay Lohan?)

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006
                As of noon CDT.

                Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
                week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).

                Jupiter

                QU Carinae (a cataclysmic variable)

                Omega Centauri (NGC 5139 Centauri, a very bright
                globular cluster)

                Rijl al Awwa (Mu Virginis)

                Saturn

                GY Cancri

                CT Hydrae

                *Al Minliar al Asad (Kappa Leonis)

                Manzana Nebula (NeVe 3-3 Puppis)

                *Dubhe (Alpha Ursae Majoris)

                *IY Ursae Majoris

                KS Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variables)

                Uranus

                Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Hu 1-2 Cygni)

                Neptune

                HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

                Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

                QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

                Pluto

                Choo (Alpha Arae)

                Beta Arae

                Grumium (Xi Draconis)

                Lesath (Lambda Scorpii)

                Shaula (Upsilon Scorpii)

                Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)

                Ceres

                *LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

                Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

                *Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

                *Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni, a diffuse nebula)

                *S Doradus (an extremely brilliant star in the part of
                Nubecula Major [the Large Magellanic Cloud] lying in
                Doradus the Mahimahi)

                TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

                Pallas

                Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)

                *Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis, a galaxy
                even closer to the south celestial pole than Polaris
                Australis)

                *Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
                constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatovski's Bull]
                along with 68 and 69 Ophiuchi)

                *Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)

                *Spiculum (M8, M20, M21 Sagittarii; M8 and M20 are
                nicknamed the Lagoon Nebula and the Trifid Nebula,
                respectively; M21 is an open cluster)

                (I have "repudiation" for the Lagoon Nebula and
                "attainment" for the Trifid Nebula)

                *Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

                Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)

                Juno

                *Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)

                *Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; below the head of Hydra the
                Sea-Monster near the border with Antlia, and
                underneath the forepaws of the obsolete constellation
                Felis the Cat)

                *Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)

                *Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)

                *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)

                *Puppis A (a supernova remnant and one of the sky's
                most intense deep-space X-ray sources)

                *Regor (Gamma Velorum)

                Vesta

                *Praecipua (46 Leonis Minoris)

                *Phecda (Gamma Ursae Majoris)

                *Megrez (Delta Ursae Majoris)

                *Papillon (IC 708 Ursae Majoris, a radio galaxy;
                "papillon" is French for butterfly)

                Chiron

                Youe (Psi Capricorni)

                Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450 +2922 Cygni)

                Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus; in the part of
                Nubecula Major lying in Dorado the Mahimahi; aka 30
                Doradus)

                (I have "to live through" for this one)

                LU Vulpeculae

                LV Vulpeculae

                Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

                North Node

                Cocoon Nebula (IC 5146 Cygni)

                Matar (Eta Pegasi)

                Stephan's Quintet (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
                dominated by NGC 7317)

                Deer Lick Group (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
                dominated by NGC 7331)

                ***Note: The alignment of the transiting North Node
                with the cataclysmic variable IP Pegasi hasn't existed
                for some time now. I had two sets of coordinates for
                it; one was wrong. It looks like I entered the wrong
                coordinates into my fixed star menu in SolarFire 5.
                The correct coordinates are

                http://www.britastro.org/vss/obj-23.html

                (2000) right ascension 23h23m09s, declination
                +18°24'59"

                That translates into 29 Pisces 15 at this time,
                according to SolarFire 5.

                My bad.

                South Node

                *Copula (M-51 Canum Venaticorum; aka the Whirlpool
                Galaxy)

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2006

                  > *GY Cancri

                  This is between Pi and Xi Cancri, west of the Beehive Cluster.

                  > *CT Hydrae

                  This is just west of Theta Hydrae in the Sea-Monster's head.

                  > *VW Hydri

                  Not far from the border with Mensa, about halfway between Gamma Hydri
                  and Mu Mensae.

                  IP Pegasi

                  Just south of 65 Pegasi and about midway between Markab and Upsilon
                  Pegasi in the southeast quadrant of the Great Square of Pegasus.

                  > *TY Vulpeculae

                  Just east of and quite close to 30 Vulpeculae, I think on the Fox's
                  rear end.

                  I'm going to try and not get this behind again.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 9, 2006

                    > > *GY Cancri

                    "gee, why?"

                    > This is between Pi and Xi Cancri, west of the Beehive Cluster.

                    I think in the Crab's northern claw.

                    Tom DeLay is still battling it out over whether he should stay on
                    the ballot after getting turned down by Antonin Scalia (I actually
                    found myself expecting Scalia to accommodate the Texas Republican
                    Party and was *surprised* when he didn't. Sad.)

                    > > *CT Hydrae
                    >

                    > This is just west of Theta Hydrae in the Sea-Monster's head.

                    The lead-up to the Connecticut (CT) Democratic primary, in which
                    Senator Joe Lieberman was rendered a lame duck. He plans to run this
                    November as an independent.

                    > > *VW Hydri
                    >
                    > Not far from the border with Mensa, about halfway between Gamma
                    Hydri
                    > and Mu Mensae.

                    I think near the Water-Snake's tail.

                    VW: Having to do with cars?

                    Gas prices keep going up in the US...

                    > IP Pegasi
                    >
                    > Just south of 65 Pegasi and about midway between Markab and Upsilon
                    > Pegasi in the southeast quadrant of the Great Square of Pegasus.

                    "peed" upon? (abused, flamed)

                    > > *TY Vulpeculae
                    >

                    > Just east of and quite close to 30 Vulpeculae, I think on the Fox's
                    > rear end.

                    Trying to "tie" something? (Israel? Hezbollah? Iran?)
                    Lieberman, "tied" to the Iraq War and George W. Bush like concrete
                    boots?

                    Also: Some people have been elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame
                    (along with Ty Cobb?) And some were African-American.

                    http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hof_weekend/2006/induction_story.ht

                    Cobb, a notorious bigot, would have had a fit. (Ha, ha, Ty.)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006

                      > As of noon CDT.
                      >

                      > Jupiter
                      >
                      > --->QU Carinae (a cataclysmic variable)
                      >
                      > Omega Centauri (NGC 5139 Centauri, a very bright
                      > globular cluster)
                      >
                      > --->Rijl al Awwa (Mu Virginis)

                      A big chunk of the small, remote town of Hooper Bay, Alaska (in Wade
                      Hampton Census Area on the Bering Sea), including the local school,
                      burned down in a fire which has been blamed on children playing with
                      matches.

                      Mount Mayon in the Philippines is threatening to erupt.

                      (QU Carinae) A terrorist plot out of Britain to blow airliners out of
                      the sky has apparently been foiled.

                      > Saturn
                      >
                      >GY Cancri
                      >
                      >CT Hydrae
                      >
                      >*Al Minliar al Asad (Kappa Leonis)
                      >
                      >Manzana Nebula (NeVe 3-3 Puppis)
                      >
                      > *Dubhe (Alpha Ursae Majoris)
                      >
                      > *IY Ursae Majoris
                      >
                      > KS Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variables)

                      Quite a bit of buzz has been generated by the fall of Joe Lieberman,
                      which is believed to have been due mainly to his falling out of touch
                      with his constituents in Connecticut (CT), on the Iraq War and other
                      issues, and taking their support for granted. (It must be noted that
                      other Democrats who've supported Bush on Iraq and some other issues
                      have not experienced the same difficulties.)

                      > Uranus
                      >
                      > Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Hu 1-2 Cygni)

                      stupid Alaskan kids playing with matches; also, a 2-year-old girl in
                      Arkansas (?) was accidentally run over by a front-end loader driven by
                      her father and a man in India has gotten international attention
                      showing off the driving skills of his 4-year-old son. (The closest
                      thing I've heard of to that before was a 7-year-old boy in Washington
                      State who several years ago tried to drive his mother's car to the
                      supermarket to restock the cupboard with his favorite cereal. He
                      couldn't see over the dashboard and work the pedals at the same time;
                      after running two red lights, he was pulled over by the police. I
                      don't know what cereal it was, but it was a General Mills brand: the
                      company gave him several months' supply.)

                      > Ceres
                      >
                      > *LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

                      (lazy?)

                      > -->Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
                      >
                      > -->*Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
                      >
                      > -->*Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni, a diffuse nebula)
                      >
                      > -->*S Doradus (an extremely brilliant star in the part of
                      > Nubecula Major [the Large Magellanic Cloud] lying in
                      > Doradus the Mahimahi)
                      >
                      > -->TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

                      the British terrorist plot?

                      > Pallas
                      >
                      > Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)
                      >
                      > *Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis, a galaxy
                      > even closer to the south celestial pole than Polaris
                      > Australis)
                      >
                      > *Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
                      > constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatovski's Bull]
                      > along with 68 and 69 Ophiuchi)
                      >
                      > *Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
                      >
                      > *Spiculum (M8, M20, M21 Sagittarii; M8 and M20 are
                      > nicknamed the Lagoon Nebula and the Trifid Nebula,
                      > respectively; M21 is an open cluster)
                      >
                      > (I have "repudiation" for the Lagoon Nebula and
                      > "attainment" for the Trifid Nebula)

                      Robson says Spiculum is "productive of blindness"(p.212).

                      The war between Israel and Lebanon?

                      The presidential elections in Mexico and the Congo Republic?

                      > *Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

                      Somebody at AOL exposing the details of people's online searches (?)
                      (the Internet = a spider web; red = inflamed, inflammatory).

                      > Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii)

                      Chicago says au revoir to foie gras.

                      > Juno
                      >
                      > *Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)
                      >
                      > *Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; below the head of Hydra the
                      > Sea-Monster near the border with Antlia, and
                      > underneath the forepaws of the obsolete constellation
                      > Felis the Cat)
                      >
                      > *Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)
                      >
                      > *Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)
                      >
                      > *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)
                      >
                      > *Puppis A (a supernova remnant and one of the sky's
                      > most intense deep-space X-ray sources)
                      >
                      > *Regor (Gamma Velorum)
                      >

                      > Vesta
                      >
                      > *Praecipua (46 Leonis Minoris)
                      >
                      > *Phecda (Gamma Ursae Majoris)
                      >
                      > *Megrez (Delta Ursae Majoris)

                      at the base of the Great Bear's unnaturally elongated tail (the point
                      where the Big Dipper's handle joins the bowl). I've got several
                      possible delineations for it based on this, having to do with bears
                      and defecation ("shown where the bear **** in the buckwheat," "does a
                      bear **** in the woods?", "a load of ****")

                      The airplane plot? the bombing of Lebanon?

                      > *Papillon (IC 708 Ursae Majoris, a radio galaxy;
                      > "papillon" is French for butterfly)

                      I heard a rare species of butterfly thought to be extinct in Britain
                      has been found in England.

                      > North Node
                      >
                      > --->Cocoon Nebula (IC 5146 Cygni)
                      >
                      > --->Matar (Eta Pegasi)
                      >
                      > --->Stephan's Quintet (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
                      > dominated by NGC 7317)

                      martyred? (like St. Stephen; maybe martyred only in one's own mind)

                      >----> Deer Lick Group (a group of galaxies in Pegasus
                      > dominated by NGC 7331)

                      Deer hunters sometimes use corn to lure deer...

                      > South Node
                      >
                      > --->*Copula (M-51 Canum Venaticorum; aka the Whirlpool
                      > Galaxy)
                      >
                      > --->Sunflower Galaxy (M-63 Canum Venaticorum)

                      (turning toward the sun)

                      > The Mice (NGC 4676 Comae Berenices; a pair of
                      > colliding galaxies)
                      >
                      > Labrum (Delta Crateris)
                      >
                      > --->Benetnash (aka Alkaid; Eta Ursae Majoris)

                      ("Better to have died/With boughten friendship at one's side/Than none
                      at all./Provide, provide!"--Robert Frost [maybe misquoted])

                      >---> Zavijava (Beta Virginis)
                      >
                      > Ross 128 (Virginis, a nearby star)

                      Fidel Castro's health problems have got Cubans in Miami ecstatic and
                      opening up about how they're going to get involved in Cuba. (A bit
                      premature; I really don't know how far they're going to get, even if
                      the Cuban socialist system were to collapse once Fidel is gone, and
                      I'm not sure that's going to happen.)

                      Ross 128: Tori Spelling's feud with her mother? (the star is on
                      Virgo's left shoulder)

                      Labrum: Spelling's "Beverly Hills 90210" classmate Shannen Doherty,
                      who has kind of a "bad girl" rep, has another TV show ("Breaking Up
                      With Shannen Doherty") on cable.