Beta Ophiuchi & Gamma Cephei

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2005
      Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:50:01 -0000
      From: "mahtezcatpoc" <mahtezcatpoc@...>
      Subject: Current fixed star conjunctions

      Mark wrote:

      >Pluto conjunct Alpha Mensae, Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi), Grumium (Xi
      >Draconis) and Beta Arae
      >(we were talking about Ara a while ago, there's a connection with
      >church matters there; also about Ophiuchus, the Snake Handler [= like
      >trying to pry a constrictor off somebody (?)]. Kelb Alrai has been
      >said to mean "the shepherd's dog." [Michael Jackson's aides?]
      >Grumium marks the underside of Draco's jaw [where a man's beard would
      >be]. Beards = getting old, maturity; pulling one's beard = a brazen

      There's some confusion about the name to be used for Beta
      Ophiuchi: see Allen, p 301:

      "Cebalrai, Celbalrai and Cheleb are from Kalb al Ra'i, "The
      Heart of the Shepherd" which Brown gives as the meaning of
      his Celabrai is erroneous, doubtless from the confusion of
      the Arabic Kalb, Heart (accent mark under the K) and Kalb,

      Kunitzsch (expert on Arab star names) has, under Cebalrai,
      Beta Ophiuchi:

      "Applied in recent times from its indigenous Arab name kalb
      al-ra'i "the Shepherd's Dog (in other traditions alpha
      Herculis and 28/29 Cephei are given the same name). This
      dog, together with the shepherd (marked by alpha Ophiuchi)
      and the two lines of stars enclosing the Pasture (see Beta
      CrB) and all the dim stellar sheep in that portion of the
      sky (al-ghanam or al-aghnam for the sheep), seem to form a
      complete group of indigenous Arab figures (Compare to a
      different group discussed under gamma Cephei)

      Staal used Cheleb for Beta Ophiuchi and Al Kalb al Rai (the
      Shepherd's Dog for rho Cephei; he tended to follow Allen.

      The web site of the Jordanian Astronomical Society (worth
      checking out - http://www.jas.org.jo ) has, for Beta
      Ophiuchi, Celbalrai from Kalb ar-Ra'i, the Shepherd's dog

      These name-confusions drive me nuts! A lot of the problem
      comes from the loss of much of the rich indigenous Arab
      traditions, which were pertinent to the actual energies of
      each star.

      >Ceres conjunct Arrakis (Mu Draconis) and Men (Alpha Lupi)
      >(Lupus = like some say wolves are supposed to be, wanting to grab
      >something any way they can[?].

      Lupus was not originally a wolf - he was an indeterminate
      animal - "bestia" - who was also "hostia" and "victima" - he
      is dangling from Centaurus' spear and being carried to the
      fires of Ara; therefore not a ravening creature but rather a

      Thank you for a very interesting post! So much more I want
      to say, but it's 3 PM and I haven't even had breakfast yet!