Malus

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28 9:39 AM
      Malus

      Mark wrote:

      We've already seen, in an earlier thread, how Kappa Pyxidis can have an influence suggesting the obsolete constellation Malus (the Mast of the Ship Argo); I think Gamma Pyxidis can also represent it.

      I agree!

      Here's what I have for Pyxis/Malus:

      Pyxis, the Compass (Malus, the Mast of Argo)

      Eta Pyxidis Compass/Mast of Argo Navis  20LE52  -42 57  -26 11  8 37    5.27    A0
      Zeta Pyxidis  Compass/ Mast of Argo     23LE03  -45 53  -29 29  8 39    4.89    gG4
      R Pyxidis  var  Compass/ Mast of Argo   24LE01  -44 09  -28 08  8 45    7.8     LPV
      Gamma Pyxidis Compass/Mast of Argo      25LE11  -43 18  -27 38  8 50    4.01    K4 III
      Alpha Pyxidis   Compass/Mast of Argo    26LE13  -48 55  -33 07  8 43    3.68    B2 II
      59 Pyxidis  Compass/Mast of Argo Navis  28LE27  -37 25  -23 06  9 09    6.53    A0
      Kappa Pyxidis  Compass/Mast of Argo     29LE07  -40 07  -25 47  9 07    4.58    gM0
      V Pyxidis variable  Compass/Mast of Argo        0VI06   -49 35  -34 45  8 53    7.9     K2 III
      Epsilon Pyxidis   Compass/Mast of Argo  2VI01   -44 05  -30 17  9 09    5.59    A  pe
      Theta Pyxidis   Compass/Mast of Argo Navis      2VI47   -39 02  -25 53  9 21    4.72    M1 III
      Lambda Pyxidis  Compass/Mast of Argo    4VI45   -41 30  -28 45  9 22    4.69    gG7

      The above are 1980 positions - for 2000, add 17 mins; for 2006, add 22 mins.

      From my book, under
              Long    Lat     Dec     RA      M       Spec
      Algieba Gamma1 Leonis  bk of hd, nr neck        29LE20  8 49    19 57   10 19   2.28    K0 III
       Lunar Mansions: India: Magha, “The Great:” see Adhafera, 27 Leo
      Kappa Pyxidis  Compass (Mast of Argo)   29LE23  -40 06  -25 52  9 08    4.58    gM0
      Regulus Alpha Leonis     Lion's heart   29LE50  0 28    11 58   10 08   1.35    B7 V
       Cor Leonis: Royal Star: Watcher or Guardian of the North; last remaining royal star in a fixed sign; will
       reach 0° Virgo in 2012 - perhaps the end of hereditary monarchy? Lunar Mansions: see Adhafera, 27 LE

      (positions 2000)

      Mars was here in 1622 when a Royal Spanish fleet of 28 ships carrying “immense treasure” sailed from Havana and promptly ran into a hurricane off the Florida Keys: 8 ships went down, including the 3 largest (Atocha, Margarita, and Rosario) with a loss of 550 men and $250 million in cargoes (survivors said the ships were dismasted in the storm – Argo’s mast is here!).

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 28 10:18 AM
        I'm not certain a constellation would be obsolete. =)

        Maybe how people view it changes?

        just a thought...

        I'm looking to see if there is anything in my chart corresponding,
        the closest in natal is mars at 26 PIS

        ======

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29 1:42 PM
          Malus

          MissB wrote

          Re: Malus
              Posted by: "msbhavens1" msbhavens1@... msbhavens1
              Date: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:22 am (PDT)

          I'm not certain a constellation would be obsolete. =)

          Maybe how people view it changes?

          just a thought...
          =================

          Well, it's just that IAU "decreed" that the great ship Argo Navis
          would be broken up into Carina, Puppis and Vela (keel, stern,
          sail) and they abandoned Malus while keeping "modern" Pyxis, which
          was formed from Malus stars!

          So  when I wrote "obsolete" I meant "officially" - but not to me
          of course! (And it never was really a constellation all by itself;
          it's part of Argo Navis!!!)

          I'll send you and Mark an e-mail attaching my Argo star list (can't
          attach to the group)

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29 5:45 PM
            With Diana's permission I loaded this file into the files section of
            our yahoo group. Beth

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29 6:28 PM
              --- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

              > With Diana's permission I loaded this file into the
              > files section of
              > our yahoo group. Beth

              Sounds good.

              I haven't looked at it yet. I will when I get the
              chance. Thanks, Diana.

              Mark A. Holmes

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31 11:47 AM
                I wonder if that is because, not being particularly knowledgable
                about ships, they (IAU)dont understand the weight and meaning of the
                mast? even though there are a great many ships that are not powered
                by the wind, if you look into any marina, you will see them far
                outnumbered by sails.

                I think that they error greatly even if the opposite were true. if
                you look at the balance of a boat, the point where the mast would be
                in a ship, is the counter balance to the Keel. Speaking in terms of
                engineering, that would be an important point. For instance, there
                was a ship that rolled near the Allutians last week, A ship that
                rolls, deffinitely had a counter balance issue, and I'd expect to see
                an argo connection to mast and keel as its a question of balance. The
                Mast of a ship is like the Y axis on a 3 dimensional sphere and
                contols balance, list, etc...

                let me put this another way, the center of gravity of an object is
                usually found in or on an object, BUT not always on some vehicles it
                is located outside the vehicle. the Dodge Stealth for instance has a
                center of gravity located 20 feet bellow center. meaning it is damn
                near impossible to tip over. great for racing. now imagine the mast
                of a mastless ship... yup, still present... well I hope the analogy
                is understandable. I sometimes have a hard time explaining what I
                mean.

                Beth

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 31 3:53 PM
                  They used to hang people from the rigging in the days of sailing
                  ships; several of the *Bounty* mutineers who were captured by the
                  British Navy ended up that way. And Mel Gibson (one of whose roles
                  was Fletcher Christian in *The Bounty*) may have hung himself.
                  Pulled over for DUI in Malibu, he apparently treated the arresting
                  officers to a tirade containing anti-Semitic and sexist abuse (not
                  very surprising to me personally).

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31 8:31 PM
                    LOL, that be Mel Gibson, he's not the nicest crayon in the box, and
                    knows that melodrama makes for good advertising. just think how many
                    fewer dvds of passion would have been sold if he hadn't worked up all
                    that hype before the movie came out. he makes his millions on
                    assinine behavior. (other opinions may vary) MissB

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
                      --- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

                      > LOL, that be Mel Gibson, he's not the nicest crayon
                      > in the box, and
                      > knows that melodrama makes for good advertising.
                      > just think how many
                      > fewer dvds of passion would have been sold if he
                      > hadn't worked up all
                      > that hype before the movie came out. he makes his
                      > millions on
                      > assinine behavior. (other opinions may vary) MissB

                      They say he was drunk. In any case, Gibson may finally
                      have gone too far this time. He's been under suspicion
                      ever since he made *The Passion of the Christ*, and
                      his father is a known anti-Semite and Holocaust
                      denier. A lot of people seem to be thinking in vino
                      veritas, and here at last is the proof we were looking
                      for that he really believes this crap in his heart.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
                        Well I should hope the Sherrifs department is only handing out DUI's
                        to people who have actually been drinking!(insert dry sense of humor
                        here) his blood alcohol was .12, legally drunk in Ca is .08......
                        oops. They've canceled one of his shows. He's enrolled in a detox and
                        asked for counceling from the malibu jewish community...

                        Lets see there are about 13,500 residents of Malibu, and about 7,000
                        of them are Jewish. hmmmmm let me think. Yeah I'd say he's in for a
                        bit of a rough time. (yes, Malibu is that small and has a very small
                        town atmosphere, its hemmmed in by the Pallisades and Calabasas which
                        are much larger towns, but basically it is a small stretch of beach
                        hemmed in my mountains. beautiful drive.

                        It also looks as though he may have wiggled out of some previous
                        issues so he's pretty much getting nailed on this one. Maybe the
                        sheens will give him some understanding since he's been so supportive
                        of charlie and his issues. He'll need some if he wants to stay living
                        in that town.