STAR NAMES PAGE

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2006
      STAR NAMES PAGE

      Mark sent:

      Re: Saw this interesting star names page
          Posted by: "mahtezcatpoc" mahtezcatpoc@... mahtezcatpoc
          Date: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:47 pm (PDT)

      I added some of these stars to my "mystars" menu in SolarFire (those
      that weren't already there).

      Mark A. Holmes
      =================
      Respectfully suggest caution;  Steven Gibson, whose page it is, wrote:

        Disclaimer: This table was created merely for recreational use, and should not be considered authoritative. It contains data taken from a number of sources, with no attempt made to evaluate their veracity; I'm not a linguist! Furthermore, the table is not complete. At some point it would be nice to add information from the second set of references listed below. Unfortunately, the time I can devote to this anymore is essentially zero, so the odds of anything happening are remote.

      For instance, he has
      IOTA Aur Kabdhilinan "anklebone of the rein-holder"
      but Iota is in Auriga's knee; if you want to use that name, give it to Gamma Aurigae (see page 91,
      Allen's Star Names)

      and

      BETA CMa Mirzam ?? (no known translation)
      Allen (p 129) has Murzim, generally but less correctly Mirzam, and occasionally Mirza, is from
      Al Murzim, the Announcer (footnote has "literally, the Roarer")

      I guess he doesn't have Allen!

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://ye-stars.com

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2006

        <http://simbad.harvard.edu/sim-id.pl?protocol=html&Ident=IOTA+Aur>
        > Aur
        > Kabdhilinan "anklebone of the rein-holder"
        > but Iota is in Auriga's knee; if you want to use
        > that name, give it to Gamma
        > Aurigae (see page 91,
        > Allen's Star Names)

        That is, Beta Tauri, or Alnath.

        How do you like Al Tawabi al Ayyuk or just Al Tawabi
        for Iota Aurigae? (Allen, top of page 90 and the
        middle of page 91.)

        <http://simbad.harvard.edu/sim-id.pl?protocol=html&Ident=BETA+CMa>
        > CMa
        > Mirzam ?? (no known translation)
        > Allen (p 129) has Murzim, generally but less
        > correctly Mirzam, and
        > occasionally Mirza, is from
        > Al Murzim, the Announcer (footnote has "literally,
        > the Roarer")
        >
        > I guess he doesn't have Allen!

        I thought some of it might be useful--I'd seen some of
        it given elsewhere--but yes, be cautious.