Fixed star alignments (June 25, 2006)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2006
      As of noon CDT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there last week (with a 1
      00' orb).

      Jupiter

      Nusakan (Beta Coronae Borealis)

      Noctua (Pi Hydrae, in the Sea-Serpent's tail; also marks the obsolete
      constellation Noctua, the Night-Owl)

      Omega Centauri (NGC 5139, a very bright globular cluster)

      NY Serpentis

      QU Carinae (cataclysmic variables)

      Saturn

      Asellus Australis (Delta Cancri)

      *Giansar (Lambda Draconis)

      *OJ 287 (Cancri, a blazar [gamma-ray pulsar])

      *HS Puppis (cataclysmic variable)

      Uranus

      Achernar (Alpha Eridani)

      Jih (Kappa Pegasi)

      Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)

      Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Hu 1-2 Cygni)

      The Horseshoe (a star pattern near 63 Cygni, in Cygnus north of Deneb)

      Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)

      RU Horologii (a cataclysmic variable)

      Neptune

      Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      The Red Necked Emu (29 Cygni and other stars in Cygnus's body said to
      describe the outline of an emu)

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      HR Delphini

      IL Vulpeculae

      QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)

      Pluto

      Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)

      Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)

      Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

      Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)

      Alpha Mensae

      Iron Star (XX Ophiuchi; the nickname Iron Star comes from its
      extraordinarily high iron content)

      Grumium (Xi Draconis)

      *Beta Arae (the lucida, or brightest star, of Ara the Altar)

      Ceres

      Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini, marking Piscis Austrinus
      the Southern Fish's heart)

      Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)

      Pallas

      *Nunki (Sigma Sagittarii)

      *Delta Scuti

      *Ross 154 (Sagittarii, one of the closest stars to Earth)

      Juno

      *Asellus Australis (Delta Cancri)

      *OJ 287 (Cancri)

      *YY Draconis (cataclysmic variable)

      Vesta

      *Lynx (Alpha Lyncis, the lucida of Lynx the Lynx, a 3rd-magnitude star
      in the Lynx's head)

      *Minchir (Sigma Hydrae)

      *HZ Puppis (cataclysmic variable)

      Chiron

      Epsilon Indi (a nearby star which attracted early interest in the
      search for extraterrestrial life)

      Alpha Tucanae (the lucida of Tucana the Toucan)

      Globus (Gamma Microscopii; marks the focus knob on Microscopium the
      Microscope or the obsolete constellation Globus Aerostaticus [The
      Hot-Air Balloon])

      Diamond Ring Nebula (Abell 70 Aquilae)

      *WZ Sagittae (cataclysmic variable)

      North Node

      Scheat (Beta Pegasi)

      Sculptor Galaxy (NGC 253 Sculptoris)

      IP Pegasi (cataclysmic variable)

      South Node

      *Markeb (Kappa Velorum)

      Asellus Tertius (Kappa Bootis)

      *Alpha Sextantis (the lucida of Sextans the Sextant)

      *Pinwheel Galaxy (M-99 Comae Berenices; near 6 Comae Berenices)

      *Wild's Triplet (Arp 248 Virginis; a trio of galaxies near the Crater
      border northwest of Theta Crateris, about halfway between it and Eta
      Virginis [Zaniah])

      IR Comae Berenices (cataclysmic variable)

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 9:56 PM

        > As of noon CDT.
        >

        > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there last week (with a 1
        > 00' orb).
        >

        > Saturn
        >

        > Asellus Australis (Delta Cancri)
        >
        > *Giansar (Lambda Draconis)

        "a poisoned place" (Guant`anamo) where immoral and illegal activities
        are carried on that the Supreme Court has now said are such

        > *OJ 287 (Cancri, a blazar [gamma-ray pulsar])

        > *HS Puppis (cataclysmic variable)

        "his"? "hiss"?

        > Pluto
        >

        > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        >
        > Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)
        >
        > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
        >
        > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Alpha Mensae
        >
        > Iron Star (XX Ophiuchi; the nickname Iron Star comes from its
        > extraordinarily high iron content)
        >
        > Grumium (Xi Draconis)
        >
        > *Beta Arae (the lucida, or brightest star, of Ara the Altar)

        the worldly power of religion brought into focus?

        > Pallas
        >

        > *Nunki (Sigma Sagittarii)

        conflicts within the Anglican Church?

        > *Delta Scuti

        the Mexican presidential elections?

        > *Ross 154 (Sagittarii, one of the closest stars to Earth)

        let me see if I can figure this one out

        > Juno
        >

        > *Asellus Australis (Delta Cancri)
        >
        > *OJ 287 (Cancri)
        >
        > *YY Draconis (cataclysmic variable)

        things happening to fire up human-rights activists worldwide

        > Vesta
        >

        > *Lynx (Alpha Lyncis, the lucida of Lynx the Lynx, a 3rd-magnitude star
        > in the Lynx's head)

        dedicated to close scrutiny, close scrutiny requiring keen sight (the
        media in their role as watchdogs)

        > *Minchir (Sigma Hydrae)

        I think this is in Hydra the Sea-Monster's head...

        > *HZ Puppis (cataclysmic variable)

        "hzzzz" (a buzzer--something's over, something's been done
        incorrectly, someone's here)

        > South Node
        >

        > *Markeb (Kappa Velorum)

        Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt continuing to travel (and Al Gore?)

        > Asellus Tertius (Kappa Bootis)
        >
        > *Alpha Sextantis (the lucida of Sextans the Sextant)

        Al Gore's documentary about global warming, *An Inconvenient Truth*,
        has won a number of awards.

        > *Pinwheel Galaxy (M-99 Comae Berenices; near 6 Comae Berenices)

        Propeller beanies? These can symbolize not playing with a full deck,
        as they say.

        > *Wild's Triplet (Arp 248 Virginis; a trio of galaxies near the Crater
        > border northwest of Theta Crateris, about halfway between it and Eta
        > Virginis [Zaniah])

        something wild or extraordinary (the soccer World Cup going on in
        Germany)?