Re: [thefixedstars] Aries/Taurus/Bonatus/Coley

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2005
      --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
      wrote:

      I went ahead to check the rest of the text on harmful
      stars,
      putting in approximate corrections. They are almost
      all
      incomprehensible. I even tried to match up the
      planetary
      influences with Ptolemy's, and that didn't work. He's
      got a
      witch, a camel and a western camel (?? - I've been
      doing
      this 25 years, and never heard of them in western
      usage -
      although I think the Arabs had a Camel in the sky;
      they may
      be interpolations from Egyptian, Arabic or occult
      alchemical
      texts. And there's no mention of stars like Antares in
      the
      Scorpion (very bright, near ecliptic etc etc.)
      (Cameleopardalis is a modern figure, high up near the
      north
      pole).

      Me:

      I think Camelopardalis was a camel once--specifically,
      a camel ridden by Isaac when he met Rebecca (or
      something like that) in the Old Testament of the
      Bible. But now Camelopardalis is a giraffe.