Fixed star alignments (May 14, 2006)

    Message 1 of 9 , May 14, 2006
      As of noon CDT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there last week (with a 1
      00' orb).

      Jupiter

      *Acrux (Alpha Crucis)

      *Mimosa (Beta Crucis)

      *Alphecca (Alpha Coronae Borealis)

      *Menkent (Theta Centauri)

      Jewel Box Cluster (NGC 4755 Crucis, a fairly well-known open cluster
      around Kappa Crucis)

      GY Hydrae (a cataclysmic variable)

      Saturn

      Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis, marking the Unicorn's rump or the
      obsolete constellation Officina Typographica, the Printing Office)

      Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)

      BP Lyncis (cataclysmic variable)

      Uranus

      Jih (Kappa Pegasi)

      Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Hu 1-2 Cygni)

      *The Horseshoe (a star pattern near 63 Cygni, in Cygnus north of Deneb)

      Neptune

      Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      The Red Necked Emu (29 Cygni and other stars in Cygnus's body said to
      describe the outline of an emu)

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      HR Delphini

      IL Vulpeculae

      Pluto

      Aculeus (M6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)

      Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)

      Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

      Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)

      Alpha Mensae

      Pistol Star (apparently a member of the Quintuplet Cluster [AFGL 2004
      Sagittarii])

      Iron Star (XX Ophiuchi)

      Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)

      Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)

      Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

      Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)

      Galactic Center

      Ceres

      *Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)

      *Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)

      Phoenicopterus (Beta Gruis, on the back of Grus the Crane, formerly
      known as Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

      *Bunda (Xi Aquarii)

      *Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)

      Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

      Pallas

      Dheneb (Zeta Aquilae)

      Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)

      Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis, the brightest star in Octans the Octant)

      BY Draconis (a cataclysmic variable)

      Ring Nebula (M-57 Lyrae)

      SS 433 (G Aquilae)

      AO Octantis

      HR Lyrae

      Juno

      *Castor (Alpha Geminorum)

      Propus Borealis (Iota Geminorum)

      *Muliphein (Gamma Canis Majoris)

      *Adhara (Epsilon Canis Majoris)

      *Eskimo Nebula (NGC 2392 Geminorum)

      *Intergalactic Wanderer (NGC 2419 Lyncis, a globular cluster)

      *Gum Nebula (IC 2177 Monocerotis)

      *Headphones Nebula (Jones-Emberson 1 Lyncis)

      *HQ Monocerotis (cataclysmic variable)

      *SU Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable)

      *RW Ursae Minoris (cataclysmic variable)

      Vesta

      *Procyon (Alpha Canis Minoris)

      *Lucida (Alpha Monocerotis)

      *Bear Paw Nebula (NGC 2537 Lyncis)

      Chiron

      Epsilon Indi

      Alpha Tucanae

      Struve 2398 (Draconis, a nearby star)

      Tso Ke (Rho Aquilae)

      Chi Cygni

      Markarian 409 (Aquarii; a variable galaxy)

      WZ Sagittae (cataclysmic variable)

      North Node

      Deneb Kaitos (aka Difda; Beta Ceti)

      South Node

      Al Dhibah (Zeta Draconis)

      Asellus Primus (Theta Bootis)

      Black Eye Galaxy (M64 Comae Berenices)

      Siamese Twins (NGC 4567 Virginis)

      Message 2 of 9 , May 22, 2006

        > As of noon CDT.
        >
        > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there [May 7] (with a 1
        > 00' orb).
        >

        > Jupiter
        >
        > *Acrux (Alpha Crucis)
        >
        > *Mimosa (Beta Crucis)
        >
        > *Alphecca (Alpha Coronae Borealis)
        >
        > *Menkent (Theta Centauri)
        >
        > Jewel Box Cluster (NGC 4755 Crucis, a fairly well-known open cluster
        > around Kappa Crucis)
        >
        > GY Hydrae (a cataclysmic variable)

        *The Da Vinci Code*?

        > Ceres
        >
        > *Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)

        More corruption investigations involving members of Congress...

        > *Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)

        Montenegro has held a secession vote. Last time I checked, voters in
        this former Yugoslav republic have approved secession from Serbia and
        Montenegro.

        And then there is that unfortunate incident at the Preakness horse
        race in Baltimore...

        > Phoenicopterus (Beta Gruis, on the back of Grus the Crane, formerly
        > known as Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)
        >
        > *Bunda (Xi Aquarii)
        >
        > *Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)

        John McCain getting booed at that graduation ceremony in New York? The
        racehorse breaking his leg?

        More about this later.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 23, 2006
          comments within...
          > > Jupiter
          > >
          > > *Acrux (Alpha Crucis)
          > >
          > > *Mimosa (Beta Crucis)
          > >
          > > *Alphecca (Alpha Coronae Borealis)
          > >
          > > *Menkent (Theta Centauri)
          > >
          > > Jewel Box Cluster (NGC 4755 Crucis, a fairly well-known open
          cluster
          > > around Kappa Crucis)
          > >
          > > GY Hydrae (a cataclysmic variable)
          >
          > *The Da Vinci Code*?

          Missb: I dont think Da Vinci Code is all that CAtaclismic,
          especially if you've gone to see it.

          However, the nepal issue is pretty cataclismic. Any arguments for a
          natural disaster?

          > > Ceres
          > >
          > > *Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
          >
          > More corruption investigations involving members of Congress...

          MissB: this is interesting from Law point of view because its
          brought several seperation of powers questions up. Also some very
          interesting 4th amendment issues have come up in the Supreme court
          in the last year, some are seemingly contradictory. ???

          > > *Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
          >
          > Montenegro has held a secession vote. Last time I checked, voters
          in
          > this former Yugoslav republic have approved secession from Serbia
          and
          > Montenegro.
          >
          > And then there is that unfortunate incident at the Preakness horse
          > race in Baltimore...
          >

          > > Phoenicopterus (Beta Gruis, on the back of Grus the Crane,
          formerly
          > > known as Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)
          > >
          > > *Bunda (Xi Aquarii)
          > >
          > > *Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
          >
          > John McCain getting booed at that graduation ceremony in New York?
          The
          > racehorse breaking his leg?

          MissB: Rice didn't get such a great reception either at Boston
          College. so this bodes well for a good interpretation.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 23, 2006
            --- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

            > comments within...
            > > > Jupiter
            > > >
            > > > *Acrux (Alpha Crucis)
            > > >
            > > > *Mimosa (Beta Crucis)
            > > >
            > > > *Alphecca (Alpha Coronae Borealis)
            > > >
            > > > *Menkent (Theta Centauri)
            > > >
            > > > Jewel Box Cluster (NGC 4755 Crucis, a fairly
            > well-known open
            > cluster
            > > > around Kappa Crucis)
            > > >
            > > > GY Hydrae (a cataclysmic variable)
            > >
            > > *The Da Vinci Code*?
            >
            > Missb: I dont think Da Vinci Code is all that
            > CAtaclismic,
            > especially if you've gone to see it.

            The critics haven't been very kind, though last I
            heard that movie has been raking it in hugely at the
            box office.

            But...

            Cataclysmic variables = novae.

            http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/science/know_l2/cataclysmic_variables.html

            Stars (energies) which flare up and then fade, maybe
            leaving an impression behind.

            I'm thinking that maybe the GY in GY Hydrae's name
            might be significant here. ("Gee, [I wonder] why?")

            Some Catholics have been complaining about *The Da
            Vinci Code*. Personally, I don't know if Jesus had a
            marriage, a sex life, or offspring, one way or the
            other, but I think it's possible. It's a fact that
            there's more to Christian belief than what is found in
            the King James Bible or what we were taught in Sunday
            school or Catholic catechism class. (I have some
            translations of Nag Hammadi texts--not "The Gospel of
            Judas," yet--and other apocryphal Christian texts.)
            The idea of a suppressed feminine component to
            Christian belief (like a bigger role for Mary
            Magdalene than we've been taught down through the
            millennia) which should be restored to its rightful
            place seems to be something whose time has come. In
            any case, the Roman Catholic Church has an image
            problem, partly of its own making, which I think is
            helping to fuel the popularity of *The Da Vinci Code*,
            and the reaction to the movie from the Vatican and
            some Catholics isn't helping their case. Especially
            since the church has demonstrated a long history of
            controlling behavior that's often been downright
            heinous (e.g., the Inquisition), and also shown it's
            capable of conspiring to hide inconvenient facts (like
            sexual molestation of children by its clergy) over a
            long period of time.

            Maybe the protests from some Christians (Catholic and
            non-Catholic) are making some people rebellious to
            where they're motivated to see the movie, too?

            Message 5 of 9 , May 23, 2006
              Historically speaking for a Rabi of that period to be unmarried
              would be scandalous, if he were widowed he would still be expected
              to RE marry within a reasonable time. even if he were actaully GAY
              he would be expected to marry and have children in that role. for
              him not ot be married would have been a HUGE oh wow did you hear
              about that Unmarried rabi? and made him a pariah amongst his own.

              However, all that asside, this argument is a very old one. Heck when
              we were argueing aobut it in HS (Catholic HS) it was older than the
              council of Nicea. I like how they conveniently left out the part
              where Constantine goes home from the Council and kills his son and
              then his wife. allegedly he did this because son allegedly had an
              affair with wife, the other story is because he didn't want his
              family living in the blood bath he knew would ensue, either way, the
              man christians go arround calling a saint for legalizing
              christianity was a bloody monster. ack, and the gospel of the
              Magdalene, is amongst the dead sea scrolls(Nag Hammadi) making it
              older than Luke, though whether or not it is as old as Mark is up
              for debate. Peter certainly had issues with Mary. I haven't read
              Phillips gospel, though it is on the to do list.

              I was raised Catholic, I gave it up for lent, its been a long lent.
              history will open your eyes to the ugliness of Organized religion or
              politics. both concieved for the vile purose of controling others.
              yuck, well just some thoughts sorry to go on so about something not
              so on topic.

              though, what did the sky look like for the year 325 ad over
              Constantinople? and Nicea? now that be worthy of a look, I think?
              I'll also look for some dates

              MissB

              Message 6 of 9 , May 24, 2006

                > As of noon CDT.
                >
                > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there [May 7] (with a 1
                > 00' orb).
                >

                > Uranus
                >
                > Jih (Kappa Pegasi)
                >
                > Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Hu 1-2 Cygni)
                >
                > *The Horseshoe (a star pattern near 63 Cygni, in Cygnus north of
                Deneb)

                Accidents [Uranus] involving horses' feet or legs?

                Also: The horseshoe is a good-luck symbol.

                > Juno
                >
                > *Castor (Alpha Geminorum)
                >
                > Propus Borealis (Iota Geminorum)
                >
                > *Muliphein (Gamma Canis Majoris)
                >
                > *Adhara (Epsilon Canis Majoris)

                The debate about so-called "anchor babies" (what some people call
                infants with US citizenship because born on US soil to illegal
                aliens)?

                > *Eskimo Nebula (NGC 2392 Geminorum)
                >
                > *Intergalactic Wanderer (NGC 2419 Lyncis, a globular cluster)

                the immigration debate?

                > *Gum Nebula (IC 2177 Monocerotis)
                >
                > *Headphones Nebula (Jones-Emberson 1 Lyncis)

                Having to do with music?

                > *HQ Monocerotis (cataclysmic variable)

                HQ = headquarters. Something to do with headquarters?

                > *SU Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable)

                "is-you?" "Sue?"

                > *RW Ursae Minoris (cataclysmic variable)

                "right-wing?"

                > Vesta
                >
                > *Procyon (Alpha Canis Minoris)

                commitment coming to nothing?

                > *Lucida (Alpha Monocerotis)

                what's this?

                > *Bear Paw Nebula (NGC 2537 Lyncis)

                thinking you see a threat (like a bear) when you don't?

                Message 7 of 9 , May 24, 2006
                  yesterday a Bear, I believe it was Chicago? escaped from a wild animal
                  raiser, chased a young woman, broke down a door, mauled her mother and
                  was lured back outside and killed by the trainer. Also 4 brown bear
                  sightings in Ventura County West coast in the last couple weeks, which
                  is a bit high. This time of year they usually have enough food and
                  water in the high country not to come to close to people who are
                  annoying ans smell funny. ;-) Also some seems to be mroe mixing of
                  Polar and Grisley bears these days, maybe polar bears know that their
                  habitat is shrinking and breeding back to soemthing that they can
                  survive? (I dont mean know intellectually but instinctively)

                  All kinds of bear news at the moment.

                  MissB

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 24, 2006
                    In fact Bear stories from the last few days:

                    http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0515monkey-killed-CR.html

                    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/23/bear.attack.ap/index.html?
                    section=cnn_latest
                    it was ohio, sorry not chicago, my mistake.

                    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/13052006/3/canada-bear-mauls-mountain-
                    biker.html

                    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wesh/20060524/lo_wesh/9265725

                    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/060523-bear-
                    germany.html?source=rss

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 26, 2006

                      > > Vesta

                      > > *Bear Paw Nebula (NGC 2537 Lyncis)
                      >
                      > thinking you see a threat (like a bear) when you don't?

                      The bear seen in Germany may be there because of a bear
                      reintroduction program in a nearby country.

                      After getting into some trouble in Germany and getting the
                      authorities after him, he wandered back into Austria, untouched.