Re: Pistol Star -a big star

    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2006

      > yup, us too, on west coast,Old Smokey that is. the man has gone
      > saturnian on us, and the oppressed have gone postal pluto, of
      course
      > that is generally what happens, the more restrictive government,
      the
      > more resistant the people. and kids went postal on their teachers
      > regularly in the 17th/18th and 19th centuries, it is NOT somethign
      > invented in columbine.

      I knew that student-on-teacher violence didn't just spring up in the
      past few years (since the invention of video games. <g> Or was it TV
      that messed up society? Or the Beatles? Or not reciting the Lord's
      Prayer before school every morning? LOL) And although I don't
      remember hearing about school violence going as far as murder in
      olden times, I figure that doesn't mean it never happened.

      There does seem to be a paranoia or willingness to take real or
      perceived threats of violence seriously that didn't seem to exist 30
      years ago.

      Ever read little house series by Laura
      > Ingalls? Her Husband experienced a teacher being beaten to death
      > when he was a child, her mother experienced a teacher being beaten
      > to death, as did her Great Grandmother.

      It's been a very long time since I read the Little House books (my
      sister had them all), but I remember an episode in one of them in
      which a group of mean teenage boys practically ran one of these
      little country schoolhouses and terrified everybody until the new
      teacher drove them out...with a bullwhip.

      These boys beat a teacher to death, too, huh?

      And they could have easily
      > been shot to death as the kids perpetrating the crime were more
      than
      > likely to have owned a gun,

      unlike now (not that it would be impossible for kids these days to
      get a gun if they want one, in the US, at least)

      the "fun" of it was in the personally
      > beating them to death. It annoys me that people act like this is
      > some new or different threat, it is the same, as it was in Plato's
      > day, only the choice of method is any different. it also annoys me
      > that people seem to think that putting kids in prison like schools
      > will in any way relieve the problem, it only exaserbates it.

      How about kids being doped up because their teachers can't tell the
      difference between kid-like behavior and psychiatric disorder (or
      find it inconvenient to differentiate between them), thereby
      fattening (without good reason) the profit margins of the
      pharmaceutical companies and the bank accounts of psychiatrists?

      I also remember a major-newspaper article sometime within the past
      few weeks about children being hurt by being given psychotropic
      medications that have only been tested on adults, not children.

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060509/ap_on_re_us/student_suspended;_yl
      > t=Apxm9hbAufEIh2YlPJaZ6rVvzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA-
      -

      > > BTW: We sang this tune on the playground and in the cafeteria
      back
      > in
      > > grade school...back when Gerald Ford was president and Eric
      Harris