Re: Pistol Star -a big star

    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2006
      yup, us too, on west coast,Old Smokey that is. the man has gone
      saturnian on us, and the oppressed have gone postal pluto, of course
      that is generally what happens, the more restrictive government, the
      more resistant the people. and kids went postal on their teachers
      regularly in the 17th/18th and 19th centuries, it is NOT somethign
      invented in columbine. Ever read little house series by Laura
      Ingalls? Her Husband experienced a teacher being beaten to death
      when he was a child, her mother experienced a teacher being beaten
      to death, as did her Great Grandmother. And they could have easily
      been shot to death as the kids perpetrating the crime were more than
      likely to have owned a gun, the "fun" of it was in the personally
      beating them to death. It annoys me that people act like this is
      some new or different threat, it is the same, as it was in Plato's
      day, only the choice of method is any different. it also annoys me
      that people seem to think that putting kids in prison like schools
      will in any way relieve the problem, it only exaserbates it.

      sorry I get carried away. MissB

      > > so Pluto is aligned with the Pistol Star - that sounds
      > > revolutionary. MissB
      >
      > Some people have a gun to some other people's heads. There are a
      few
      > people (Bush, King Gyanendra of Nepal, Mexican President Vicente
      Fox,
      > the pro-immigrant protesters) who have made concessions under
      pressure
      > from outside.
      >
      > A 16-year-old girl in Suwanee, Georgia was suspended from school
      for
      > five days for singing a takeoff on "On Top Of Old Smokey" in class
      > that was taken as a threat against the teacher:

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060509/ap_on_re_us/student_suspended;_yl
      t=Apxm9hbAufEIh2YlPJaZ6rVvzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

      > BTW: We sang this tune on the playground and in the cafeteria back
      in
      > grade school...back when Gerald Ford was president and Eric Harris
      and
      > Dylan Klebold hadn't even been born, let alone shot up their high
      > school. The lyrics were different, though (and nobody went 911 or
      got
      > sent to the office or to alternative school or jail as a result):
      >
      > "On top of Old Smokey
      > All covered with blood
      > I shot my teacher
      > With a .44 gun.
      >
      > "I went to her funeral
      > I went to her grave
      > Instead of throwing flowers
      > I threw a grenade."
      >
      > Of course, it was understood back in 1974 that nobody singing this
      > ditty or similar ones was actually going to shoot the teachers.
      Times

      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2006

        > yup, us too, on west coast,Old Smokey that is. the man has gone
        > saturnian on us, and the oppressed have gone postal pluto, of
        course
        > that is generally what happens, the more restrictive government,
        the
        > more resistant the people. and kids went postal on their teachers
        > regularly in the 17th/18th and 19th centuries, it is NOT somethign
        > invented in columbine.

        I knew that student-on-teacher violence didn't just spring up in the
        past few years (since the invention of video games. <g> Or was it TV
        that messed up society? Or the Beatles? Or not reciting the Lord's
        Prayer before school every morning? LOL) And although I don't
        remember hearing about school violence going as far as murder in
        olden times, I figure that doesn't mean it never happened.

        There does seem to be a paranoia or willingness to take real or
        perceived threats of violence seriously that didn't seem to exist 30
        years ago.

        Ever read little house series by Laura
        > Ingalls? Her Husband experienced a teacher being beaten to death
        > when he was a child, her mother experienced a teacher being beaten
        > to death, as did her Great Grandmother.

        It's been a very long time since I read the Little House books (my
        sister had them all), but I remember an episode in one of them in
        which a group of mean teenage boys practically ran one of these
        little country schoolhouses and terrified everybody until the new
        teacher drove them out...with a bullwhip.

        These boys beat a teacher to death, too, huh?

        And they could have easily
        > been shot to death as the kids perpetrating the crime were more
        than
        > likely to have owned a gun,

        unlike now (not that it would be impossible for kids these days to
        get a gun if they want one, in the US, at least)

        the "fun" of it was in the personally
        > beating them to death. It annoys me that people act like this is
        > some new or different threat, it is the same, as it was in Plato's
        > day, only the choice of method is any different. it also annoys me
        > that people seem to think that putting kids in prison like schools
        > will in any way relieve the problem, it only exaserbates it.

        How about kids being doped up because their teachers can't tell the
        difference between kid-like behavior and psychiatric disorder (or
        find it inconvenient to differentiate between them), thereby
        fattening (without good reason) the profit margins of the
        pharmaceutical companies and the bank accounts of psychiatrists?

        I also remember a major-newspaper article sometime within the past
        few weeks about children being hurt by being given psychotropic
        medications that have only been tested on adults, not children.