Pistol Star -a big star

  • jb12jb
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2006
      Pistol star- the most massive star in the galaxy
      It is number one. The biggest.
      m=150
      j2000 In other words the epoch is 2000.
      Ra =17h 46m 15.3sec
      dec= -28 50 04

      In 2000 the longitude = 26 sag 59
      It is 8 minutes from the galaxy center longitude.

      I came across it while checking out
      eta carina which is the 5th biggest.
      source = wikipedia

      Jim
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2006
        so Pluto is aligned with the Pistol Star - that sounds
        revolutionary. MissB

        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2006

          > so Pluto is aligned with the Pistol Star - that sounds
          > revolutionary. MissB

          Some people have a gun to some other people's heads. There are a few
          people (Bush, King Gyanendra of Nepal, Mexican President Vicente Fox,
          the pro-immigrant protesters) who have made concessions under pressure
          from outside.

          A 16-year-old girl in Suwanee, Georgia was suspended from school for
          five days for singing a takeoff on "On Top Of Old Smokey" in class
          that was taken as a threat against the teacher:

          http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060509/ap_on_re_us/student_suspended;_ylt=Apxm9hbAufEIh2YlPJaZ6rVvzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

          BTW: We sang this tune on the playground and in the cafeteria back in
          grade school...back when Gerald Ford was president and Eric Harris and
          Dylan Klebold hadn't even been born, let alone shot up their high
          school. The lyrics were different, though (and nobody went 911 or got
          sent to the office or to alternative school or jail as a result):

          "On top of Old Smokey
          All covered with blood
          I shot my teacher
          With a .44 gun.

          "I went to her funeral
          I went to her grave
          Instead of throwing flowers
          I threw a grenade."

          Of course, it was understood back in 1974 that nobody singing this
          ditty or similar ones was actually going to shoot the teachers. Times
          have changed.

          Mark A. Holmes

          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2006
            yup, us too, on west coast,Old Smokey that is. the man has gone
            saturnian on us, and the oppressed have gone postal pluto, of course
            that is generally what happens, the more restrictive government, the
            more resistant the people. and kids went postal on their teachers
            regularly in the 17th/18th and 19th centuries, it is NOT somethign
            invented in columbine. Ever read little house series by Laura
            Ingalls? Her Husband experienced a teacher being beaten to death
            when he was a child, her mother experienced a teacher being beaten
            to death, as did her Great Grandmother. And they could have easily
            been shot to death as the kids perpetrating the crime were more than
            likely to have owned a gun, the "fun" of it was in the personally
            beating them to death. It annoys me that people act like this is
            some new or different threat, it is the same, as it was in Plato's
            day, only the choice of method is any different. it also annoys me
            that people seem to think that putting kids in prison like schools
            will in any way relieve the problem, it only exaserbates it.

            sorry I get carried away. MissB

            Message 5 of 5 , May 10, 2006

              > yup, us too, on west coast,Old Smokey that is. the man has gone
              > saturnian on us, and the oppressed have gone postal pluto, of
              course
              > that is generally what happens, the more restrictive government,
              the
              > more resistant the people. and kids went postal on their teachers
              > regularly in the 17th/18th and 19th centuries, it is NOT somethign
              > invented in columbine.

              I knew that student-on-teacher violence didn't just spring up in the
              past few years (since the invention of video games. <g> Or was it TV
              that messed up society? Or the Beatles? Or not reciting the Lord's
              Prayer before school every morning? LOL) And although I don't
              remember hearing about school violence going as far as murder in
              olden times, I figure that doesn't mean it never happened.

              There does seem to be a paranoia or willingness to take real or
              perceived threats of violence seriously that didn't seem to exist 30
              years ago.

              Ever read little house series by Laura
              > Ingalls? Her Husband experienced a teacher being beaten to death
              > when he was a child, her mother experienced a teacher being beaten
              > to death, as did her Great Grandmother.

              It's been a very long time since I read the Little House books (my
              sister had them all), but I remember an episode in one of them in
              which a group of mean teenage boys practically ran one of these
              little country schoolhouses and terrified everybody until the new
              teacher drove them out...with a bullwhip.

              These boys beat a teacher to death, too, huh?

              And they could have easily
              > been shot to death as the kids perpetrating the crime were more
              than
              > likely to have owned a gun,

              unlike now (not that it would be impossible for kids these days to
              get a gun if they want one, in the US, at least)

              the "fun" of it was in the personally
              > beating them to death. It annoys me that people act like this is
              > some new or different threat, it is the same, as it was in Plato's
              > day, only the choice of method is any different. it also annoys me
              > that people seem to think that putting kids in prison like schools
              > will in any way relieve the problem, it only exaserbates it.

              How about kids being doped up because their teachers can't tell the
              difference between kid-like behavior and psychiatric disorder (or
              find it inconvenient to differentiate between them), thereby
              fattening (without good reason) the profit margins of the
              pharmaceutical companies and the bank accounts of psychiatrists?

              I also remember a major-newspaper article sometime within the past
              few weeks about children being hurt by being given psychotropic
              medications that have only been tested on adults, not children.