Re: Fixed star alignments (April 30, 2006)

    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2006
      In the news this week:

      The Kentucky Derby.

      Zacarias Moussaoui gets life in prison (and not just any prison, but
      the federal prison system's most secure facility, the Supermax federal
      prison in Florence, Colorado).

      Construction begins on the Freedom Tower in New York, which will
      replace the fallen 1 and 2 World Trade Center (the twin towers).

      A Harvard student who publishes a teen-lit novel gets it yanked from
      the market and loses her book deal after being accused of plagiarism.

      Mexico's Congress sends a drug-reform bill that would have legalized
      small amounts of most commonly abused drugs and concentrated on
      dealers to President Vicente Fox, who sends it back for changes after
      the US raises a stink.

      Attempts to rescue two miners trapped in an Australian mine continue.

      As does the squabbling over Iran's nuclear program.

      After crashing his car into a security barrier near the US Capitol
      while apparently intoxicated (with a mixture of sleep medication and
      prescription pain medication?) late one night, US Representative
      Patrick Kennedy, Ted Kennedy's son, checks into rehab.

      Albania takes Chinese detainees from Guant`anamo.

      A ferry crash in San Francisco.

      Bolivian President Evo Morales, having nationalized his country's
      natural gas industry (bowing to popular demand), is now trying to
      placate foreign corporations who fear losing their investment and
      other South American leaders; also, he is forming an alliance with
      Castro and Hugo Chavez.

      Peru and Venezuela exchange recalls of their ambassadors, Peru
      complaining about Chavez meddling in its internal affairs.

      Unrest in the Solomon Islands continues.

      Gay students and their supporters, and Christian students and their
      supporters have dueling protests in the schools in the US, the one
      promoting the Day of Silence to advocate a safe environment in schools
      for GLBT students; the other, apparently threatened by this, promoting
      the (so-called) Day of Truth, which promotes the idea that
      homosexuality is sinful.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2006
        Russia Backing Iran and warning other nations to back off, suggesting
        the cold war may return...

        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2006

          > Russia Backing Iran and warning other nations to back off, suggesting
          > the cold war may return...

          Yes...