Re: Tsunami Warnign for New Zealand and Fijii

    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      And just how the heck do you wake up an island at 0 dark 30 to tell
      em to run for high ground? At least they have some in Fiji and NZ,
      Tonga is as flat as a pancake! Well I think there are some US naval
      Ships in tonga, they could definitely wake you up, sirens, blow a
      few blanks over yoru head, helo's with mics, whatever...

      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006

        > thanks! I hate it when reporters put down a time zone that the event
        > is no where near! sheesh!

        They never gave the local time?!

        My Kiwi friends reported back that all was
        > well, but since I'm nothome yet I haven't heard whether or not
        > anythhing happened as a result of the quake?

        I don't believe so.

        Mark A. Holmes

        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006

          > I hate it when reporters put down a time zone that the event
          > is no where near! sheesh!

          It seems that for some reporters here in the US, the only time zones
          that exist are Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific, which is kind
          of lazy; the least they could do is give the local time of the event
          along with the Eastern Time equivalent (seeing as how hardly anybody
          here wants to mess with GMT).

          And there are six, not four, time zones in the US. Most of Alaska is
          in the Alaska time zone--9 hours back from GMT and one hour earlier
          than the West Coast--except for the western Aleutian Islands, which
          are in the Hawaii-Aleutian time zone along with Hawaii. That's 10
          hours back from GMT. I don't know if this ever gets acknowledged by
          Big Media here in the US.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2006
            On the Pacific Coast they acknowledge Hawaiian time zone. But I
            think it has a lot to dowiththe fact we have our share of Islanders
            on our shores. =) Not to mention there are a few jokes
            about"hawaiian time" MissB