Tsunami Warnign for New Zealand and Fijii

    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      8.0 quake cetered in tonga, no deaths reported or significant damage
      (hard to damage a place that hardly has any buildings)

      anyone know the time difference for Fijii and east US Coast, the
      stupid report gave the time in EDT!!!! real BLEEPIN helpful!

      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        --- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

        > 8.0 quake cetered in tonga, no deaths reported or
        > significant damage
        > (hard to damage a place that hardly has any
        > buildings)
        >
        > anyone know the time difference for Fijii and east
        > US Coast, the
        > stupid report gave the time in EDT!!!! real BLEEPIN
        > helpful!
        >
        > MissB

        Eastern time zone, 6 hours behind Greenwich. EDT, add
        1 hour = 5 hours behind Greenwich.

        Tonga is in the Tonga time zone (GMT +13 hrs).

        http://www.worldtimezone.com/wtz-names/wtz-tot.html

        This says that when it's 12 noon EDT in New York, it's
        5 a.m. Tonga Standard Time the next day in Tonga.
        (They don't use Daylight Time there.)

        http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

        So, you add 17 hours to EDT (and 18 hours to EST) to
        get Tonga Standard Time.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006
          thanks! I hate it when reporters put down a time zone that the event
          is no where near! sheesh! My Kiwi friends reported back that all was
          well, but since I'm nothome yet I haven't heard whether or not
          anythhing happened as a result of the quake?

          Like Hurricane Warnings, the Problem with Tsunami warnings is, you
          never know if its gonna be a "oops, sorry, every thing is fine." or
          a "Holy Sh!t!" might be annoying to leave town, but it beats dying
          on the one time you dont.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2006
            And just how the heck do you wake up an island at 0 dark 30 to tell
            em to run for high ground? At least they have some in Fiji and NZ,
            Tonga is as flat as a pancake! Well I think there are some US naval
            Ships in tonga, they could definitely wake you up, sirens, blow a
            few blanks over yoru head, helo's with mics, whatever...

            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2006

              > thanks! I hate it when reporters put down a time zone that the event
              > is no where near! sheesh!

              They never gave the local time?!

              My Kiwi friends reported back that all was
              > well, but since I'm nothome yet I haven't heard whether or not
              > anythhing happened as a result of the quake?

              I don't believe so.

              Mark A. Holmes

              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2006

                > I hate it when reporters put down a time zone that the event
                > is no where near! sheesh!

                It seems that for some reporters here in the US, the only time zones
                that exist are Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific, which is kind
                of lazy; the least they could do is give the local time of the event
                along with the Eastern Time equivalent (seeing as how hardly anybody
                here wants to mess with GMT).

                And there are six, not four, time zones in the US. Most of Alaska is
                in the Alaska time zone--9 hours back from GMT and one hour earlier
                than the West Coast--except for the western Aleutian Islands, which
                are in the Hawaii-Aleutian time zone along with Hawaii. That's 10
                hours back from GMT. I don't know if this ever gets acknowledged by
                Big Media here in the US.

                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2006
                  On the Pacific Coast they acknowledge Hawaiian time zone. But I
                  think it has a lot to dowiththe fact we have our share of Islanders
                  on our shores. =) Not to mention there are a few jokes
                  about"hawaiian time" MissB