Fixed star alignments (April 30, 2006)

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
      As of noon CST.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago (with an
      orb of 1 00').

      Jupiter

      Zubenalgenubi (Alpha Librae)

      Zubenelakribi (Delta Librae)

      Debehogne's Object (Librae)

      *GY Hydrae (a cataclysmic variable)

      Saturn

      Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis; marks the Unicorn's rump or the
      obsolete constellation Officina Typographica, the Printing office)

      Talitha Australis (Kappa Ursae Majoris)

      Altarf (Beta Cancri)

      Neptune

      Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      The Red Necked Emu (29 Cygni and other stars in Cygnus's body said to
      describe the outline of an emu)

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      HR Delphini

      IL Vulpeculae

      QU Vulpeculae

      Pluto

      Acubens (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)

      Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)

      Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

      RS Ophiuchi

      Pistol Star (apparently a member of the Quintuplet Cluster [AFGL 2004
      Sagittarii])

      Iron Star (XX Ophiuchi)

      Mu Arae

      Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)

      Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)

      Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)

      Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

      Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

      Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)

      Galactic Center

      Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-2446ad, a
      pulsar in the globular cluster Terzan 5)

      Ceres

      *Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      *S Doradus

      *The Red Necked Emu (29 Cygni and other stars in Cygnus's body said to
      describe the outline of an emu)

      *Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      HR Delphini

      QU Vulpeculae

      Pallas

      Dheneb (Zeta Aquilae)

      Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)

      Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis)

      *BY Draconis (a cataclysmic variable)

      *Ring Nebula (M-57 Lyrae)

      *SS 433 (G Aquilae)

      AO Octantis

      HR Lyrae

      Juno

      *Sirius (Alpha Canis Majoris)

      *Dziban (Psi Draconis)

      *NGC 2304 (Geminorum, a star cluster)

      *The Mini-Coathanger (a tiny asterism somewhat resembling a coathanger
      in Ursa Minor, south of Epsilon Ursae Minoris)

      DN Geminorum

      Vesta

      *Castor (Alpha Geminorum)

      *Adhara (Beta Canis Majoris)

      *Muliphein (Gamma Canis Majoris)

      *Propus Borealis (Iota Geminorum)

      *Eskimo Nebula (NGC 2392 Geminorum)

      *Headphones Nebula (Jones-Emberson 1 Lyncis)

      *Intergalactic Wanderer (NGC 2419 Lyncis, a globular cluster)

      HT Camelopardalis

      AQ Canis Minoris

      Monster Nova (V838 Monocerotis)

      Chiron

      Epsilon Indi

      Alpha Tucanae

      Struve 2398 (Draconis)

      Tso Ke (Rho Aquilae)

      Chi Cygni

      *Markarian 409 (Aquarii; a variable galaxy)

      (I have "destructive" for this one)

      WZ Sagittae (cataclysmic variable)

      (this alignment was here last week, sorry)

      South Node

      Zaniah (Eta Virginis)

      Black Eye Galaxy (M64 Comae Berenices)

      Siamese Twins (NGC 4567 Virginis)

      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2006
        In the news this week:

        The Kentucky Derby.

        Zacarias Moussaoui gets life in prison (and not just any prison, but
        the federal prison system's most secure facility, the Supermax federal
        prison in Florence, Colorado).

        Construction begins on the Freedom Tower in New York, which will
        replace the fallen 1 and 2 World Trade Center (the twin towers).

        A Harvard student who publishes a teen-lit novel gets it yanked from
        the market and loses her book deal after being accused of plagiarism.

        Mexico's Congress sends a drug-reform bill that would have legalized
        small amounts of most commonly abused drugs and concentrated on
        dealers to President Vicente Fox, who sends it back for changes after
        the US raises a stink.

        Attempts to rescue two miners trapped in an Australian mine continue.

        As does the squabbling over Iran's nuclear program.

        After crashing his car into a security barrier near the US Capitol
        while apparently intoxicated (with a mixture of sleep medication and
        prescription pain medication?) late one night, US Representative
        Patrick Kennedy, Ted Kennedy's son, checks into rehab.

        Albania takes Chinese detainees from Guant`anamo.

        A ferry crash in San Francisco.

        Bolivian President Evo Morales, having nationalized his country's
        natural gas industry (bowing to popular demand), is now trying to
        placate foreign corporations who fear losing their investment and
        other South American leaders; also, he is forming an alliance with
        Castro and Hugo Chavez.

        Peru and Venezuela exchange recalls of their ambassadors, Peru
        complaining about Chavez meddling in its internal affairs.

        Unrest in the Solomon Islands continues.

        Gay students and their supporters, and Christian students and their
        supporters have dueling protests in the schools in the US, the one
        promoting the Day of Silence to advocate a safe environment in schools
        for GLBT students; the other, apparently threatened by this, promoting
        the (so-called) Day of Truth, which promotes the idea that
        homosexuality is sinful.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2006
          Russia Backing Iran and warning other nations to back off, suggesting
          the cold war may return...

          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2006

            > Russia Backing Iran and warning other nations to back off, suggesting
            > the cold war may return...

            Yes...