Fixed star alignments (April 23, 2006)

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2006
      As of noon CDT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments not in existence a week ago today.

      Jupiter

      *Zubenalgenubi (Alpha Librae)

      Zubenelakribi (Delta Librae)

      R Coronae Borealis

      (I have "release" or "accomplishment" for this one)

      *Debehogne's Object (a peculiar variable galaxy in Libra, north of 16
      Librae near the borders of Ophiuchus and Serpens Caput, I think above
      the northern pan of the Scales)

      (I have "attacks" for this one)

      Saturn

      Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis; marks the Unicorn's rump or the
      obsolete constellation Officina Typographica, the Printing office)

      Talitha Australis (Kappa Ursae Majoris)

      Altarf (Beta Cancri)

      Neptune

      Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      The Red Necked Emu (29 Cygni and other stars in Cygnus's body said to
      describe the outline of an emu)

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni, a diffuse nebula around Gamma Cygni)

      HR Delphini (north of Sualocin [Alpha Delphini], near the Vulpecula
      border--sort of in front of the Dolphin's face; a cataclysmic
      variable--nova, you might say--like the two following:)

      IL Vulpeculae (southwest of 28 Vulpeculae in [I think] one of the
      Fox's hind legs)

      QU Vulpeculae (west of 23 Vulpeculae on the Fox's back)

      Pluto

      Acubens (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)

      Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)

      Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

      RS Ophiuchi (a nova-type variable)

      Pistol Star (apparently a member of the Quintuplet Cluster [AFGL 2004
      Sagittarii], an open cluster lying near the center of our galaxy and
      only visible to us in infrared; the Pistol Star is one of the most
      luminous stars known. It is near 3 Sagittarii close to the Ophiuchus
      border, in front of the Archer's bow but not directly in the path of
      the arrow in the bow, marked by Alnasl [Gamma Sagittarii], more like
      above the arrowhead)

      Iron Star (XX Ophiuchi, a variable star noted for its unusually high
      iron content--hence its nickname; north of Mu Ophiuchi on the
      Serpent-Holder's right side; RS Ophiuchi is in the same general area)

      Mu Arae (another sunlike star which has an exoplanet orbiting it; one
      of the stars at the base of Ara the Altar)

      Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii; north of Polis [Mu Sagittarii] near
      the Ophiuchus border, above the upper end of the Archer's bow)

      Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii; I think this is in
      the area above the Archer's bow, like the Silkworm Nebula)

      Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar around the stinger
      of Scorpius which gets its name from its lead discoverer and the
      pattern of its radiation output)

      Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae; near Sigma Arae and the border
      with Corona Australis, I think at one end of the Altar's base)

      Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

      Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)

      Galactic Center

      Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-2446ad, a
      pulsar in the globular cluster Terzan 5)

      Ceres

      Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis; marks the tail of Grus the Crane)

      *Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148 & 5150 Gruis; lying northeast of Lambda
      Gruis around the Crane's back end)

      *HR Delphini

      *QU Vulpeculae

      Pallas

      *Dheneb (Zeta Aquilae)

      *Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis, the brightest star in Octans the
      Octant, which is the constellation containing the south celestial
      pole; located in the middle of the arm that controls a slide that ends
      on a piece that goes along an arc-shaped track that you use to
      determine a heavenly body's elevation above the horizon)

      Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)

      Nova Hassel (V446 Herculis, a nova which reached 5th magnitude in
      1960, discovered by Olaf Hassel, a Norwegian astronomer who happened
      to be deaf; in Hercules' extreme southwest corner close to the Aquila
      border, just east of Dheneb [Zeta Aquilae] in the Eagle's tail; and
      then there are two more cataclysmic variables aligned with Pallas:)

      AO Octantis (north of Alpha Octantis, near the border with Pavo, at
      what I think might be the maximum-elevation position on the Octant's
      arc-shaped track)

      http://www.ianridpath.com/startales/octans.htm

      HR Lyrae (also known as Nova Lyrae 1919; kind of southwest of Lambda
      Lyrae, which marks the bottom of the Harp)

      Juno

      *Alzirr (Xi Geminorum; on the Twin Pollux's right foot)

      *Mebsuta (Epsilon Geminorum; on the Twin Castor's right leg)

      *Christmas-Tree Cluster (NGC 2264 Monocerotis; in Monoceros the
      Unicorn's face, surrounded by the Cone Nebula)

      *Hubble's Variable Nebula (NGC 2261 Monocerotis, close by, in the
      Unicorn's face)

      *R Monocerotis (embedded in Hubble's Variable Nebula)

      (I have "a tar pit" for R Monocerotis)

      *DN Geminorum (a cataclysmic variable, south of Theta Geminorum around
      the Twin Castor's right hand)

      Vesta

      *Wasat (Delta Geminorum)

      *Cor Canis Majoris (Pi Canis Majoris; marking the heart of Canis Major
      the Great Dog)

      *Double Bubble Nebula (NGC 2371 Geminorum; north of Iota Geminorum
      between the two Twins' heads)

      http://www.nao.ac.jp/Subaru/hdtv/ngc2371.jpg

      (BTW: both Eta and Iota Geminorum have the proper name Propus; I think
      I'll start calling Iota Geminorum Propus Borealis, because it's way
      north of Eta Geminorum, which usually gets called Propus)

      *Lemon Slice Nebula (IC 3568 Camelopardalis; I think on the Giraffe's
      snout)

      http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/1997/38/image/c

      Z Camelopardalis (cataclysmic variable, very close to the Ursa Major
      border, northwest of Rho Ursae Majoris [I think] just in front of the
      Giraffe's neck; and then three more cataclysmic variables:)

      *HT Camelopardalis (east of 49 Camelopardalis near the Ursa Major
      border, around the Giraffe's front feet)

      *AQ Canis Minoris (near Epsilon Canis Minoris, around Canis Minor the
      Little Dog's head)

      *Monster Nova (V838 Monocerotis, near 20 Monocerotis in the Unicorn's
      chest)

      Chiron

      Globus (Gamma Microscopii; marks the focus-control knob
      on the Microscope and the obsolete constellation Globus
      Aerostatica [the Hot-Air Balloon])

      Epsilon Indi (one of the better-known nearby stars, a bit cooler than
      sunlike; in the American Indian's left hand, the one not holding the
      spear)

      Alpha Tucanae (located at the tip of the Toucan's bill)

      Struve 2398 (Draconis; southwest of Omicron Draconis in the front of
      the Dragon's body; one of the closest stars to Sol)

      Tso Ke (Rho Aquilae)

      (the name is Chinese for "the left flag")

      Diamond Ring Nebula (Abell 70 Aquilae)

      Chi Cygni (a fairly well-known variable star)

      (I have "self-damage" for this one)

      South Node

      Zaniah (Eta Virginis)

      Al Dhibah (Zeta Draconis, aka Nodus I)

      Edasich (Iota Draconis)

      Black Eye Galaxy (M64 Comae Berenices)

      Lost Galaxy (NGC 4526 Virginis)

      Siamese Twins (NGC 4567 Virginis)

      (both east of Rho Virginis, I think in Virgo the Virgin's throat or
      high on her chest--a region very rich in galaxies)

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2006

        > As of noon CDT.
        >
        > Asterisks indicate alignments not in existence a week ago today.
        >

        > Jupiter
        >
        > *Zubenalgenubi (Alpha Librae)
        >
        > Zubenelakribi (Delta Librae)
        >
        > R Coronae Borealis
        >
        > (I have "release" or "accomplishment" for this one)
        >
        > *Debehogne's Object (a peculiar variable galaxy in Libra, north of 16
        > Librae near the borders of Ophiuchus and Serpens Caput, I think above
        > the northern pan of the Scales)
        >
        > (I have "attacks" for this one)

        demonstrations in Nepal and the US

        > Saturn
        >
        > Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis; marks the Unicorn's rump or the
        > obsolete constellation Officina Typographica, the Printing office)
        >
        > Talitha Australis (Kappa Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > Altarf (Beta Cancri)
        >

        > Neptune
        >
        > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
        >
        > The Red Necked Emu (29 Cygni and other stars in Cygnus's body said to
        > describe the outline of an emu)
        >
        > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni, a diffuse nebula around Gamma Cygni)
        >
        > HR Delphini (north of Sualocin [Alpha Delphini], near the Vulpecula
        > border--sort of in front of the Dolphin's face; a cataclysmic
        > variable--nova, you might say--like the two following:)
        >
        > IL Vulpeculae (southwest of 28 Vulpeculae in [I think] one of the
        > Fox's hind legs)
        >
        > QU Vulpeculae (west of 23 Vulpeculae on the Fox's back)
        >

        > Pluto
        >
        > Acubens (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        >
        > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
        >
        > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
        >
        > RS Ophiuchi (a nova-type variable)
        >
        > Pistol Star (apparently a member of the Quintuplet Cluster [AFGL 2004
        > Sagittarii], an open cluster lying near the center of our galaxy and
        > only visible to us in infrared; the Pistol Star is one of the most
        > luminous stars known. It is near 3 Sagittarii close to the Ophiuchus
        > border, in front of the Archer's bow but not directly in the path of
        > the arrow in the bow, marked by Alnasl [Gamma Sagittarii], more like
        > above the arrowhead)
        >
        > Iron Star (XX Ophiuchi, a variable star noted for its unusually high
        > iron content--hence its nickname; north of Mu Ophiuchi on the
        > Serpent-Holder's right side; RS Ophiuchi is in the same general area)
        >
        > Mu Arae (another sunlike star which has an exoplanet orbiting it; one
        > of the stars at the base of Ara the Altar)
        >
        > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii; north of Polis [Mu Sagittarii] near
        > the Ophiuchus border, above the upper end of the Archer's bow)
        >
        > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii; I think this is in
        > the area above the Archer's bow, like the Silkworm Nebula)
        >
        > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar around the stinger
        > of Scorpius which gets its name from its lead discoverer and the
        > pattern of its radiation output)
        >
        > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae; near Sigma Arae and the border
        > with Corona Australis, I think at one end of the Altar's base)
        >
        > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Galactic Center
        >
        > Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-2446ad, a
        > pulsar in the globular cluster Terzan 5)
        >

        > Ceres
        >
        > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis; marks the tail of Grus the Crane)

        trying to grab a brass ring of some sort?

        > *Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148 & 5150 Gruis; lying northeast of Lambda
        > Gruis around the Crane's back end)
        >
        > *HR Delphini
        >
        > *QU Vulpeculae

        There are plans afoot to try to show what would happen to society if
        all the Latino immigrants in the US stayed home and withheld their
        buying power.

        > Pallas
        >
        > *Dheneb (Zeta Aquilae)

        "It gives ability to command, liberality, success in war and
        beneficence." (Robson).

        "Success in martial arts (or sports?)." (Noonan)

        A 13-year-old golf prodigy, Dakoda Dowd, played in an LPGA tournament
        in Reunion, Florida in order to fulfill the wish of her mother, who
        has terminal cancer.

        http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/28/earlyshow/main1556461.shtml

        http://www.columbusdispatch.com/golf/golf.php?story=dispatch/2006/04/29/20060429-E3-01.html

        > *Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis, the brightest star in Octans the
        > Octant, which is the constellation containing the south celestial
        > pole; located in the middle of the arm that controls a slide that ends
        > on a piece that goes along an arc-shaped track that you use to
        > determine a heavenly body's elevation above the horizon)

        tracking the elevation of something?

        "[Octans]: Keen, intellectual, orderly and exact mind, with interest
        in mathematics, astronomy and similiar subjects." (Robson)

        > Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)
        >
        > Nova Hassel (V446 Herculis, a nova which reached 5th magnitude in
        > 1960, discovered by Olaf Hassel, a Norwegian astronomer who happened
        > to be deaf; in Hercules' extreme southwest corner close to the Aquila
        > border, just east of Dheneb [Zeta Aquilae] in the Eagle's tail;

        having to do with accomplishment by the disabled or disenfranchised?

        and
        > then there are two more cataclysmic variables aligned with Pallas:)
        >
        > AO Octantis (north of Alpha Octantis, near the border with Pavo, at
        > what I think might be the maximum-elevation position on the Octant's
        > arc-shaped track)
        >
        > http://www.ianridpath.com/startales/octans.htm

        "at the zenith"

        (of what?)

        > HR Lyrae (also known as Nova Lyrae 1919; kind of southwest of Lambda
        > Lyrae, which marks the bottom of the Harp)

        where the lap of someone sitting down playing the harp would be?

        (to sit down and play [a protest song?]

        > Juno
        >
        > *Alzirr (Xi Geminorum; on the Twin Pollux's right foot)
        >
        > *Mebsuta (Epsilon Geminorum; on the Twin Castor's right leg)
        >
        > *Christmas-Tree Cluster (NGC 2264 Monocerotis; in Monoceros the
        > Unicorn's face, surrounded by the Cone Nebula)
        >
        > *Hubble's Variable Nebula (NGC 2261 Monocerotis, close by, in the
        > Unicorn's face)
        >
        > *R Monocerotis (embedded in Hubble's Variable Nebula)
        >
        > (I have "a tar pit" for R Monocerotis)
        >
        > *DN Geminorum (a cataclysmic variable, south of Theta Geminorum around
        > the Twin Castor's right hand)
        >

        > Vesta
        >
        > *Wasat (Delta Geminorum)

        committed to destroying or damaging something?

        > *Cor Canis Majoris (Pi Canis Majoris; marking the heart of Canis Major
        > the Great Dog)

        focus on defense and upon loyalty

        > *Double Bubble Nebula (NGC 2371 Geminorum; north of Iota Geminorum
        > between the two Twins' heads)
        >
        > http://www.nao.ac.jp/Subaru/hdtv/ngc2371.jpg

        calls forth the image of bubble gum (kid stuff?)

        > (BTW: both Eta and Iota Geminorum have the proper name Propus; I think
        > I'll start calling Iota Geminorum Propus Borealis, because it's way
        > north of Eta Geminorum, which usually gets called Propus)
        >
        > *Lemon Slice Nebula (IC 3568 Camelopardalis; I think on the Giraffe's
        > snout)

        http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/1997/38/image/c

        "if life hands you lemons..." (?)

        > Z Camelopardalis (cataclysmic variable, very close to the Ursa Major
        > border, northwest of Rho Ursae Majoris [I think] just in front of the
        > Giraffe's neck; and then three more cataclysmic variables:)
        >
        > *HT Camelopardalis (east of 49 Camelopardalis near the Ursa Major
        > border, around the Giraffe's front feet)

        well-known among those who know giraffes as a dangerous place to be

        > *AQ Canis Minoris (near Epsilon Canis Minoris, around Canis Minor the
        > Little Dog's head)

        "a cue" (or barking, yapping, nipping, but without the capability of
        inflicting a really damaging bite, or not really posing much of a threat)

        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2006
          I'm trying to repost something I wrote last night which got lost when
          the archives became temporarily unavailable.

          A lot of my speculation on the influence of these alignments has to do
          with the immigration controversy brewing in the US during the last
          week of April.

> [...]
          >
          > "Success in martial arts (or sports?)." (Noonan)
          >
          > A 13-year-old golf prodigy, Dakoda Dowd, played in an LPGA tournament
          > in Reunion, Florida in order to fulfill the wish of her mother, who
          > has terminal cancer.
          >
          > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/28/earlyshow/main1556461.shtml

          http://www.columbusdispatch.com/golf/golf.php?story=dispatch/2006/04/29/20060429-E3-01.html

          > > *Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis, the brightest star in Octans the
          > > Octant, which is the constellation containing the south celestial
          > > pole; located in the middle of the arm that controls a slide that ends
          > > on a piece that goes along an arc-shaped track that you use to
          > > determine a heavenly body's elevation above the horizon)
          >

          > tracking the elevation of something?
          >
          > "[Octans]: Keen, intellectual, orderly and exact mind, with interest
          > in mathematics, astronomy and similiar subjects." (Robson)

          Bush's political fortunes and those of his party and the Democrats?

          > > Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)
          > >
          > > Nova Hassel (V446 Herculis, a nova which reached 5th magnitude in
          > > 1960, discovered by Olaf Hassel, a Norwegian astronomer who happened
          > > to be deaf; in Hercules' extreme southwest corner close to the Aquila
          > > border, just east of Dheneb [Zeta Aquilae] in the Eagle's tail;
          >
          > having to do with accomplishment by the disabled or disenfranchised?
          >

          > and
          > > then there are two more cataclysmic variables aligned with Pallas:)
          > >
          > > AO Octantis (north of Alpha Octantis, near the border with Pavo, at
          > > what I think might be the maximum-elevation position on the Octant's
          > > arc-shaped track)
          > >
          > > http://www.ianridpath.com/startales/octans.htm
          >
          > "at the zenith"
          >
          > (of what?)

          Bush's unpopularity; but that would be more like a nadir, and it could
          go lower, I guess...

          > > HR Lyrae (also known as Nova Lyrae 1919; kind of southwest of Lambda
          > > Lyrae, which marks the bottom of the Harp)
          >
          > where the lap of someone sitting down playing the harp would be?
          >
          > (to sit down and play [a protest song?]
          >

          > > Juno
          > >
          > > *Alzirr (Xi Geminorum; on the Twin Pollux's right foot)
          > >
          > > *Mebsuta (Epsilon Geminorum; on the Twin Castor's right leg)
          > >
          > > *Christmas-Tree Cluster (NGC 2264 Monocerotis; in Monoceros the
          > > Unicorn's face, surrounded by the Cone Nebula)
          > >
          > > *Hubble's Variable Nebula (NGC 2261 Monocerotis, close by, in the
          > > Unicorn's face)
          > >
          > > *R Monocerotis (embedded in Hubble's Variable Nebula)
          > >
          > > (I have "a tar pit" for R Monocerotis)
          > >
          > > *DN Geminorum (a cataclysmic variable, south of Theta Geminorum around
          > > the Twin Castor's right hand)
          > >

          > > Vesta
          > >
          > > *Wasat (Delta Geminorum)
          >
          > committed to destroying or damaging something?
          >

          > > *Cor Canis Majoris (Pi Canis Majoris; marking the heart of Canis Major
          > > the Great Dog)
          >
          > focus on defense and upon loyalty
          >

          > > *Double Bubble Nebula (NGC 2371 Geminorum; north of Iota Geminorum
          > > between the two Twins' heads)
          > >
          > > http://www.nao.ac.jp/Subaru/hdtv/ngc2371.jpg
          >
          > calls forth the image of bubble gum (kid stuff?)

          A number of kids in the US were arrested in connection with shooting
          plots at their schools around the 11th anniversary of Columbine, or
          for other crimes.

          > > (BTW: both Eta and Iota Geminorum have the proper name Propus; I think
          > > I'll start calling Iota Geminorum Propus Borealis, because it's way
          > > north of Eta Geminorum, which usually gets called Propus)
          > >
          > > *Lemon Slice Nebula (IC 3568 Camelopardalis; I think on the Giraffe's
          > > snout)

          http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/1997/38/image/c

          > "if life hands you lemons..." (?)

          Mexico's reform efforts at drug-control reform?

          > > Z Camelopardalis (cataclysmic variable, very close to the Ursa Major
          > > border, northwest of Rho Ursae Majoris [I think] just in front of the
          > > Giraffe's neck; and then three more cataclysmic variables:)

          focus on the third-rate or tedious (American Idol, TomKat)(?)

          > > *HT Camelopardalis (east of 49 Camelopardalis near the Ursa Major
          > > border, around the Giraffe's front feet)
          >
          > well-known among those who know giraffes as a dangerous place to be
          >

          > > *AQ Canis Minoris (near Epsilon Canis Minoris, around Canis Minor the
          > > Little Dog's head)
          >
          > "a cue" (or barking, yapping, nipping, but without the capability of
          > inflicting a really damaging bite, or not really posing much of a
          threat)

          > > *Monster Nova (V838 Monocerotis, near 20 Monocerotis in the Unicorn's
          > > chest)

          the upcoming release of the film *The Da Vinci Code* or the
          controversy over the ancient Gnostic text "The Gospel of Judas"?