Variable-star nomenclature: the Argelander system (was Novae, etc.)

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5 2:17 PM
      --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
      wrote:

      > Mark sent:
      >

      > It seems a good many novae have been put in the
      > variable-star
      > category by astronomers.
      >
      > CP Lacertae hit magnitude +2.1 in 1936, and CP
      > Puppis hit magnitude
      > +0.3 in 1942.
      >
      > Wow - that's pretty bright - especially CP Puppis.
      > What does "CP"
      > stand for - do you know?

      This is called the star's Argelander designation,
      after Friedrich Argelander, the Lithuanian-born
      German-Finnish astronomer who developed this naming
      system for variable stars in the mid-19th-century. He
      gave letters of the Roman alphabet to variable stars,
      starting with R, and moving on to S, T, U, etc., and
      after Z the system goes on to RR, RS, RT, and so
      forth, until QZ is reached; the letter J isn't used.
      Past QZ astronomers start using alphanumeric
      designations, V plus a number which indicates the
      variable's order of discovery, e.g., V322 Orionis.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_star

      > Here's a Wikipedia page on novae that includes a
      > list of novae that
      > attained seventh magnitude and up since 1891, more
      > objects for my
      > fixed-stars lists (probably the novae page, too,
      > once I can get a
      > handle on their astrological influence).
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova
      >
      > And this is the Wikipedia supernova page.
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova
      >
      > Thank you for these! I've copied both pages into my
      > files - very
      > useful!

      Good.